• ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    From the Bearing Arms blog;

The NRA bills itself as the nation’s oldest civil rights group, and I think that’s a pretty accurate picture. They’ve arguably been one of the more effective groups, at least over the last few decades. After all, how many other groups are used as the boogieman for an entire movement?

In fact, the the NRA name is brought up as a proxy for all gun rights groups, which is probably equal parts infuriating and flattering to them, I’d think.

But are they dying?

An article at Newsweek tries to make the case that it is.

In 2013, Wayne LaPierre, head of the National Rifle Association, boasted that the advocacy group was experiencing unprecedented growth and was on track to have 10 million members.
    Ten years on, that’s not how things have worked out. In fact, the NRA‘s membership has shrunk to less than half that, according to some reports, and with declining membership have come declining revenues. That’s a cause for celebration among anti-gun groups, who have told Newsweek it is proof that Americans are increasingly outraged by gun violence.
    The truth is not quite so simple—but it is clear that the NRA is fading fast from what was once a central position in U.S. politics.

Declining membership and money is never a good thing. But I would agree with the author's bottom line.

Look, I can be critical of the NRA and I feel there are legitimate reasons to be critical of them. However, while this article isn’t as biased as many I’d expect to see at a place like Newsweek, I think reports about the demise of the NRA are premature.

Moreover, the power of the NRA has always been as a beacon for gun rights supporters, even those who aren’t formally members of the group. As gun sales are still through the roof, the celebratory gun control groups that the author also talks about should face one very real fact of life: Even if the NRA goes away, the gun rights effort will not, and I don’t see the NRA going away any time soon.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    If LaPierre would step down from his position, and away from trying to direct any NRA operations, I believe there would be a quick surge in membership. The biggest thing the NRA has been known for since he took over the leadership position is pissing away money, on salaries (especially his own), and BS programs that add nothing to protecting gun owner rights!!

ronr68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Taylor
    Timely post since I just got a renewal notice. It’s getting harder for me to give them money with WLP in charge, but I’ll probably renew anyway.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    From the Truth about Guns blog with another take on the Newsweek article.

In the last couple days, a new piece from Newsweek has the anti-gun world excited. Why? Because, it says, the NRA is slowly dying. The usual civilian disarmament suspects like Giffords, March For Our Lives, and Everytown slammed the share button, of course, because they think this means they’re winning. But anyone with an actual understanding of the gun rights world knows they’re getting their hopes up for nothing.

If anything, the NRA is just what the anti-gun groups need right now. Without being able to continually use them as a straw bogeyman and a distraction, they might have to admit to their donors that the push for gun control isn’t going well at all, and that the cash they’ve thrown at the gun control industry isn’t getting them any closer to the kind of gun-free society they want to see.

This last comment reminds me how 2A has regained its rightful place of importance in the Constitution with below right to carry map. Texas went right in 1995 and many years in-between to permittless open carry by 2021.

Right_to_Carry_timeline.gif

Attachments

• IMG_7693-768x575.jpg
      IMG_7693-768x575.jpg
      104.6 KB · Views: 33

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    <>

The NRA of today is not ours.

It is totally owned by Wayne LaPierre.

Few of us want the NRA to die; we just want to be rid of Wayne. . . . ,

leVieux

<>
    I totally agree this is the fault of WLP, but that POS will never “own it”. Maybe I don’t understand your meaning…but I think we agree.

And not just WLP but every board member he put in place. A despicable group for sure. All must go!

It that happens before the fat lady sings over the NRA’s smoldering dumpster fire, I’ll jump back in.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    @DougC

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but I'd take that graphic with a grain of salt. Despite the best effort of the Dems and Rino's (but I repeat myself), Virginia has been an open-carry and a shall-issue state for a looong time.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    From the Truth about Guns blog with another take on the Newsweek article.

In the last couple days, a new piece from Newsweek has the anti-gun world excited. Why? Because, it says, the NRA is slowly dying. The usual civilian disarmament suspects like Giffords, March For Our Lives, and Everytown slammed the share button, of course, because they think this means they’re winning. But anyone with an actual understanding of the gun rights world knows they’re getting their hopes up for nothing.

If anything, the NRA is just what the anti-gun groups need right now. Without being able to continually use them as a straw bogeyman and a distraction, they might have to admit to their donors that the push for gun control isn’t going well at all, and that the cash they’ve thrown at the gun control industry isn’t getting them any closer to the kind of gun-free society they want to see.

This last comment reminds me how 2A has regained its rightful place of importance in the Constitution with below right to carry map. Texas went right in 1995 and many years in-between to permittless open carry by 2021.

View attachment 415709
    <>

NRA & WL-P aside, it is getting harder & harder for politicians to push their ‘’guns cause crime’ theory, as the evidence against it is overwhelming.

And, folks are seeing the terrible crime wave worldwide, and realize that the Police can’t get everywhere on-time to save them.

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I totally agree this is the fault of WLP, but that POS will never “own it”. Maybe I don’t understand your meaning…but I think we agree.

And not just WLP but every board member he put in place. A despicable group for sure. All must go!

It that happens before the fat lady sings over the NRA’s smoldering dumpster fire, I’ll jump back in.
    <>

You described the problem.

The history is that when WL-P survived the Neal Knox « revolution », he put the dreaded « Nominating Committee » in place to assure his permanency. As long as he controls that committee, and board NOMINATIONS via that committee, member voting is useless. It is all a show.

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom