• ...and so much more!
  • Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Does this bother anyone else besides me. This is my personal opinion, disagree or not but Why has that shooters mom not received most if not all blame for what her son did? It sickens me that that kids mom allowed him to have access to any firearm unsupervised. Asperger's Syndrome patients have no reason to have free access to firearms. Those guns should have been locked up. Poor parenting and I blame the mom for all those deaths. The patients that I have seen here with Asperger's Syndrome have poor reasoning skills and I can't imagine any of them being alone with a firearm. I have to put them under general anesthesia in the hospital for any dental work they need no matter what their age. The media ought to use this instance as a spring board for gun safety education. Force parents and gun owners to be doing what they should be doing any way as responsible gun owners. I know the mentally ill issue is one of the biggest challenges we as gun owners face, but here there was a break down in the system where this could have been avoided. I know I am preaching to the choir but lately I feel like I am swimming in a sea of ignorance.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My wife's cousin has ashbergers (sp). I notice no social skills whatsoever, and complete lack of empathy. Once he got out of the pool with a hard on, walking around like no big deal.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I agree with you Driller. The easy access to the firearms has bothered me since the news came out. It is the responsibility of every gun owner to secure their weapons and most recently ammunition. It is horrible tragedy, I wonder if the blame would be different if the mother was still alive?

glenn61

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    Schertz, Tx
    Same here. I understand you have to have quick access for protection but come on--at least make it hard for kits to get access. It's just common sense but I guess some people are just stupid. Like those parents who tell teachers that their kids would never bully another kid or misbehave in class--right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I don't believe anyone is broadly stating children cannot handle firearms. Heck my father was an officer with at least two pistols in the house since before I was born. It never occurred to me to play with them or steal them, they were not locked up either. Again it comes back to personal responsibility.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    As gun owners we DO have a reasonable responsibility to keep our guns out of the hands of those who are not qualified or safe to use them. This leaves a lot to interpretation and everybody has to make their own decisions, but this woman knew this kid was nuts and still had guns where he could get to them easily.

She at least shares in the blame here, but the shooter is still the criminal.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    She definitely should share the blame but if the liberals put any percent of the blame on her that would be less they could blame on gun control or what ever their agenda might be.

Ericstac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    TX
    Maybe Newtown Conn doesn't have an ordinance that requires guns to be locked and out of children's reach, wait, he wasn't evena child so I guess the ordinance would have to say someone about the mentally unstable..

I agree though, and it is another reason that makes you go hmmm about the whole scenario.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    You should even need some sort of ordinance. As a responsible gun owner there should be a little common sense and she should have had her firearms locked away. If even for the safety of her son mishandling them. Age is not an issue when you have the mentality of a child. He should have been treated as such. Would have been nice if she was resuscitated then given the death penalty for her ignorance.

Wild hair

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    She was obviously having issues with her child, (try to have him committed). I'm wondering why she didn't have her guns secured.....the other thing that pops into my head is that "aspies" trend to be extremely high on the iq chart, and have amazing memories! So memorizing a safe combo, or where mom his the keys, wouldn't be an issue. But at the end of the day, she should have removed the guns from her home if she thought he was capable of harm....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

winchester73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Waco, Texas
    It bothers me but so does sooooo much about the whole thing. From the get go there was just way too many conflicting stories. Im not "one of those conspiracy guys" but I have to say there was WAY too many versions being aired. First it was pistols then rifles then 2 pistols, then 4 pistols. I know the media has a habit of getting things distorted sometimes, but alot of the info was being given by an officer or authority figure. I don't know if its all true but if it is then I can't imagine what the parents are going through.

Top Bottom