• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Dunno. We had a black powder elephant double in the house growing up. That got traded for a 375HH, and somewhere in the mix was a Nitro Express.

These were all guns that I’m told my dad used against large game in Asia in the 50s. Don’t know how accurate that is as all of the rifles were sold off in the early 80s.
    Karamojo Bell who killed more elephants the many used a .275 Rigby!

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So your buying a rifle just for this hunt? Do you have a 300WM? I'm assuming not.

Do you reload?

What's the biggest caliber you own?

It sounds silly you couldn't use another caliber close or below 300wm.... seems all dependent on distance the guide plans for you to shoot. It would be nice to know the max.

But again, I'm sure they see all shooters, good and bad come through. 6.5cm is doing some solid work with the correct bullet @ right distance.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Nilgai are interesting - unlike deer (that keep their heads low), Nilgai run with their heads up. They have great eyesight and can frequently see you before you see them. So it's not uncommon that you have to shoot at some distance. Also, they're big, so bigger calibers are recommended. Years ago, the consulting firm I was working for had a hunting lease down near the Kennedy ranch. There were lots of Nilgai on the property. The meat is excellent, but there's no cool trophy horns, so people just didn't want to hunt them. One of our customers decided he'd like to shoot one, so the guy who scouted for us led him around to a herd and he took down a nice, young cow (300+ lbs) with his 7x57 rifle at about 150 yards. (Good shot placement is always more important than caliber.)

That ranch had been divided up amongst some relatives in years back and one of the pieces was turned into a game preserve by the lady that owned it. The Nilgai would run there, jump the fence, and stop and just look back at us. They had learned that it was safe ground and they didn't mind driving us crazy.

I've got a .300WBY you can borrow, Phil. It's a little more powerful than the .300WIN. Also sub-MOA.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Nilgai are interesting - unlike deer (that keep their heads low), Nilgai run with their heads up. They have great eyesight and can frequently see you before you see them. So it's not uncommon that you have to shoot at some distance. Also, they're big, so bigger calibers are recommended. Years ago, the consulting firm I was working for had a hunting lease down near the Kennedy ranch. There were lots of Nilgai on the property. The meat is excellent, but there's no cool trophy horns, so people just didn't want to hunt them. One of our customers decided he'd like to shoot one, so the guy who scouted for us led him around to a herd and he took down a nice, young cow (300+ lbs) with his 7x57 rifle at about 150 yards. (Good shot placement is always more important than caliber.)

That ranch had been divided up amongst some relatives in years back and one of the pieces was turned into a game preserve by the lady that owned it. The Nilgai would run there, jump the fence, and stop and just look back at us. They had learned that it was safe ground and they didn't mind driving us crazy.

I've got a .300WBY you can borrow, Phil. It's a little more powerful than the .300WIN. Also sub-MOA.
    Late to this thread. I was going to recommend the same .300WBY

pbratton

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    So your buying a rifle just for this hunt? Do you have a 300WM? I'm assuming not.

Do you reload?

What's the biggest caliber you own?

It sounds silly you couldn't use another caliber close or below 300wm.... seems all dependent on distance the guide plans for you to shoot. It would be nice to know the max.

But again, I'm sure they see all shooters, good and bad come through. 6.5cm is doing some solid work with the correct bullet @ right distance.

I do reload and do my .308 and 6.5CM loads.

The guides have been pretty clear that they consider .300WM as the minimum caliber for this game...

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    I shot mine on the King Ranch in 1989, using a .375H&H bolt-action rifle. Range was 30yds., bullet was a 300gr. Swift A-Frame, placement was through both shoulders and lungs.

It was down before thew rifle came out of recoil.

If you can, just borrow a .300 Win. Mag. from someone and use 180gr. Swift A-Frames, Nosler Partitions, or some other bonded-core soft points. Practice with it and have fun.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I shot mine on the King Ranch in 1989, using a .375H&H bolt-action rifle. Range was 30yds., bullet was a 300gr. Swift A-Frame, placement was through both shoulders and lungs.

It was down before thew rifle came out of recoil.

If you can, just borrow a .300 Win. Mag. from someone and use 180gr. Swift A-Frames, Nosler Partitions, or some other bonded-core soft points. Practice with it and have fun.

Were you a guest, or was that a paid hunt?
    That's probably close to the time they started selling hunts.

Top Bottom