ARJ Defense ad

Ninth Circuit: Felons can have firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    God bless Bruen.

From the article:

Bruen requires that gun control align with historical tradition and the intent of America’s founders. Bea and VanDyke did not believe the blanket prohibition against felons possessing firearms survived scrutiny.

Bea wrote:

We do not base our decision on the notion that felons should not be prohibited from possessing firearms. As a matter of policy, [the prohibition] may make a great deal of sense. But “[t]he very enumeration of the [Second Amendment] right” in our Constitution “takes out of [our] hands . . . the power to decide” for which Americans “th[at] right is really worth insisting upon.” (Heller).
    He added:

Duarte is an American citizen, and thus one of “the people” whom the Second Amendment protects. The Second Amendment’s plain text and historically understood meaning therefore presumptively guarantee his individual right to possess a firearm for self-defense. The Government failed to rebut that presumption by demonstrating that permanently depriving Duarte of this fundamental right is otherwise consistent with our Nation’s history. We therefore hold that [the prohibition] violates Duarte’s Second Amendment rights and is unconstitutional as applied to him.
    Lynx Defense

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Why would that matter?
    Yes. A non violent felony like a returned check not picked up can lead to a fine and/or
    probation for over 1 year. This could be the only felony that someone has committed
    and would keep that person for having a gun.

I agree that a violent felon should not be able to own a gun.

ETA...I know 2 people with my 1st statement that have an LTC

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Rights are rights.

A whole different discussion is our “legal” system and that we generally fail to reform, rehabilitate, and make restitution to victims.

But, once one has made amends for their transgressions, one should be made whole again.
    I would think that your last statement would mean that only one (1) felony was committed
    and only certain felonies. Murder, rape, etc,etc,etc. should NOT be given any firearms

Reactions: MTA

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I would think that your last statement would mean that only one (1) felony was committed
    and only certain felonies. Murder, rape, etc,etc,etc. should NOT be given any firearms

Looks like we're going to disagree on this one.
    Imo, natural God-given Rights, should not be modified nor infringed upon - which is actually what the Second Amendment says.

With luck, eventually it will be deemed there is no historical basis for BAFTE either. :laughing:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Imo, natural God-given Rights, should not be modified nor infringed upon - which is actually what the Second Amendment says.
    Does this apply to the 1st amendment also or just the 2nd?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

With luck, eventually it will be deemed there is no historical basis for BAFTE either. :laughing:
    We have a god given right to freedom, yet we put violent people in prison.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Does this apply to the 1st amendment also or just the 2nd?
    It reads that way, i.e., restrictions on the Government.

"The First Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents the government from making laws respecting an establishment of religion; prohibiting the free exercise of religion; or abridging the freedom of speech, the freedom of the press, the freedom of assembly, or the right to petition the government for redress of grievances." (Wiki)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You said

To which I mentioned prison infringes on a god given right.
    Are you suggesting that it's a God given right to murder someone? That's the choice I was referring to - to lead to their loss of freedom (incarceration/execution).

I have no idea how you jumped to this conclusion. I’m guessing you never skip leg day at the gym.

But no, I’m suggesting that your opinion on the 2A as presented in the first quote and previous posts imply you agree that felons should be able to possess firearms because it’s a god given right. My question was towards the discrepancy between the right to a firearm and the right to freedom in general.

IF you believe that someone can have there rights limited as punishment for a crime, it conflicts with your other posts in this thread regarding 2A rights for felons being protected as a god given right.

Top Bottom