• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Col J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Austin
    Just coming into Roton, NM and ran into some sort of ID check - four or five State Patrol cars stopping all west bound cars. Handed the Officer my Military ID, TX DL, and TX CHL and declared that I had a CHL and that I was carrying, on my waist at 3 o'clock. Officer looked at IDs, handed them back and said "Thanks for letting me know." That was it and we were on our way again.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I saw the "state trooper". . . . but I've never heard of them doing that. I'm exposing my ignorance on the subject. Are they looking for drugs, alcohol, illegals, or drunks or a combination of the above? Are they searching cars or just asking ID's?

And I really don't know how it passes the whole search and siezure business in the constitution. . . but that is another thread entirely.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    They are checking ID's, not seaching everyone. There are several cases that address what a "seizure" is, checkpoints are not considered to be unconstitutional. Border Patrol has them all over the country.
    The stipulation is that everyone has to be treated equally. Some stop every car, some stop every other car, they just have to to do it fairly and equitably.
    Now...if from that ID check they smell alcohol or marijuana or their dog does, now they have reasonable suspicion to hold on to you and investigate further.
    Most agencies call this "criminal intediction" these days....looking for anything illegal

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    They were just trying to keep you out of california, where the constitution does not apply. If you had mentioned you were going to LA they would have beat the snot out of you, for your own good.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    They are checking ID's, not seaching everyone. There are several cases that address what a "seizure" is, checkpoints are not considered to be unconstitutional. Border Patrol has them all over the country.
    The stipulation is that everyone has to be treated equally. Some stop every car, some stop every other car, they just have to to do it fairly and equitably.
    Now...if from that ID check they smell alcohol or marijuana or their dog does, now they have reasonable suspicion to hold on to you and investigate further.
    Most agencies call this "criminal intediction" these days....looking for anything illegal

I see. I understand what you are sayin, and if memory serves me correctly, I remember reading something talking about how they do work (I'm think the article was talking about sobriety checkpoints actually) . . . I know court cases endorse their legality, but frankly the "we can pull you over to try and find some evidence of something that might be illegal because we did the same thing to everone else" doesn't sit 100% with me. I feel a little better about Border Patrol and sobriety checkpoints because they are looking for a particular something. I don't know if that is hypocritical or not.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I use to go to NM pretty often. I ran into those check points on the HWY about 35 miles west of Artesia. They only checked west bound cars at that time to.
    I think they were looking for illegals, drugs, or something else.
    Never a problem though. They were always fast and acted pretty decent. Sometimes I even had a 12 gauge in the seat next to me.
    Its pretty old news because they been doing that for at least the past 5 years that I know of. How often I really dont know.
    The only way their going to find smugglers is if their looking, Right...
    The good thing is their fast and polite to the people comming through.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Have you drove Eastward on I-10 from El Paso on? How about Northward from Harlingen/S.Padre Island? There are permanent checkpoints to see your ID and ask if you're a US citizen.

Driving past one of these three days ago, opposite side of the mandatory stop station, they had what looked to be multiple high-speed cameras hooked up to white trailers on both side of the road. We're talking about 8 cameras total, set-up in a way to capture 360 degrees of the vehicle and at a level to easily see through the windows.

I suppose, being on a public road provides me no reasonable expectation of privacy, but how long do they get to store these photos, who can access them, and for what purpose?

Can't wait to win the lottery, buy a large plot of land next to Ted Nugent and be completely off the grid.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Have you drove Eastward on I-10 from El Paso on? How about Northward from Harlingen/S.Padre Island? There are permanent checkpoints to see your ID and ask if you're a US citizen.

Driving past one of these three days ago, opposite side of the mandatory stop station, they had what looked to be multiple high-speed cameras hooked up to white trailers on both side of the road. We're talking about 8 cameras total, set-up in a way to capture 360 degrees of the vehicle and at a level to easily see through the windows.

I suppose, being on a public road provides me no reasonable expectation of privacy, but how long do they get to store these photos, who can access them, and for what purpose?

Can't wait to win the lottery, buy a large plot of land next to Ted Nugent and be completely off the grid.
    Not me, if I win the lottery, im buying Mexico and throwing everybody out!! Looks like yall may have some new citizens!

Top Bottom