• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greatwhite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    I'm moving from Canada and I've got a few questions on bringing guns into Texas, we will be living in Dallas (legally) for the next 5 years.

I've got a Sig Sauer P220 and three rifles I would to bring with me, what hoops would I be looking at jumping through? I have to jump through a few here just for it to leave the house, hopefully there aren't too many on the other side of the border.

Can't wait to get out of here, today it was -47*F

Thanks for your help!
    Hurley's Gold

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    I am by no means a legal expert, so this is my individual opinion and I suggest you contact a legal source here in America (Texas especially has a fair few firearm legal teams). I don't know what the process is from leaving Canada with a firearm, but I imagine you should be able to contact the proper authorities ahead of time to alert them of your situation (moving and living in Texas for 5 years) and they will explain to you how to best handle it. If it's all legal and they get you through the process and you move to Texas, Texas is very very good for gun laws. You don't get hassled or anything like that just to leave with a gun. Heck, it's legal to carry a loaded concealed gun in your car for personal protection (AGAIN I would check on this if you are a foreign resident living here, I am not sure what the laws are on that). My point is, once you get to Texas, all legal and everything with your gun, you shouldn't have any grief with firearms. We welcome all law abiding, hard working, pro-constitutional folks down here.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    While Southpaw's link is a good start on the US side, don't forget Canadian regulations for exporting a firearm...

Importing and Exporting Firearms (Individuals) - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Welcome to a much warmer Texas! I was in Manitoba briefly in October, and was good friends with a Canadian Air Force liaison officer at our organization here in San Antonio a few years back. They were from BC and great folks. His stay here was made easier by the fact that he was on military orders, and he was able to not only purchase firearms while here but also got a Texas concealed handgun license. Obviously you will be able to do the same once you establish legal residency.

Cheers! M2

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    If you are driving, do not forget that you will be passing through a number of other states. I found it much more simple to bring my rifles down when I was up for a visit and flew vice drove.

As you indicated you will be here for a set period, make sure you are able to keep all your documentation current for bringing them back ( if any of your . I was unable to renew my FAC due to not having a Canadian address.

greatwhite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks for all your help! Pretty much cleared up every question I had, for a while I was worried I wouldn't even be allowed to bring them as a non-citizen. And just when I thought I had everything thought out on the northern side, I forgot about not being able to renew my FAC. But even as much as I enjoy Texas, I have to come back up north for hunting season ahah.

Glad I posted this, there's sure a lot of helpful people on this forum unlike most other internet forums.

Top Bottom