• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    The worst part is for the entry price of $50,000 + markup, you get the pleasure of driving a 2.7 liter 4 cylinder turbo'd pickup that drives on 2 wheels.

No thanks!
    Must be referring to the GM half tons. Brother has a 2019 Silverado 2.7 turbo. He’s just shy of 80k miles and it’s starting to give him problems, so he’s going to unload it for something else

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Must be referring to the GM half tons. Brother has a 2019 Silverado 2.7 turbo. He’s just shy of 80k miles and it’s starting to give him problems, so he’s going to unload it for something else

They are total pieces of s***. The Ford versions too (think they call it Ecoboost). You have to increase the boost so high in those engines just to get the truck moving, it's cutting the lifespan of the engine. They also burn a ton of oil, and a lot of them get oil dilution from unburnt fuel. People are blowing them up in the 50,000-75,000 mile range, so your brother is right near that range.

I'd take the previous 5.3L V8 or even the 4.3L V6 over the crappy 4 cylinder, small displacement turbo boosted ticking time bombs they put into modern pickups.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Was my understanding that dealers selling new above MSRP could loose their dealerships. I would report them to parent company. Price gouging sucks. Might even be state reportable.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Was my understanding that dealers selling new above MSRP could loose their dealerships. I would report them to parent company. Price gouging sucks. Might even be state reportable.

Nope - its become a standard practice industry wide. Its called "Market adjustment" and being done because of the almost non-existent stream of new vehicles. We put something like 900 miles in over two days this weekend, driving thru towns large and small. We passed *one* new car dealer that didn't look like a Toys R Us store at closing time on Black Friday - and that was a Ford dealer in IIRC Port Lavaca or maybe it was Rockport that had a good number of brand new trucks on the lot. Not many cars or SUV's we could see, but they had maybe 30 or 40 new trucks out front.

On the other hand, most had so little inventory they were spacing them out to make it look like they had more than they did. Shit, even the Kubota dealer in one of the towns we passed thru only had a dozen or so tractors and implements on site, they were playing the same "space 'em out" game to make the lot look fuller than it was.

Its not abnormal at all to see a 5, 10, or even 25k "market adjustment" to the price tag, and the auto makers won't be yanking franchises over it, because the automakers are the ones who cannot fulfill their obligations to provide new inventory. Its also why you're paying brand-new truck pricing for 5 or 6 year old trucks, and why 15 year old trucks are still selling for top dollar.

If it's a truck that has wheels and the engine starts - its worth a good chunk of change. Estimates are another year or more before things come back online anything like what they used to be, and that's IF we don't continue down the collapse. If we see more market disruptions over inflation, labor, or financial failures, the damage will take longer to fix.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Nope - its become a standard practice industry wide. Its called "Market adjustment" and being done because of the almost non-existent stream of new vehicles. We put something like 900 miles in over two days this weekend, driving thru towns large and small. We passed *one* new car dealer that didn't look like a Toys R Us store at closing time on Black Friday - and that was a Ford dealer in IIRC Port Lavaca or maybe it was Rockport that had a good number of brand new trucks on the lot. Not many cars or SUV's we could see, but they had maybe 30 or 40 new trucks out front.

On the other hand, most had so little inventory they were spacing them out to make it look like they had more than they did. Shit, even the Kubota dealer in one of the towns we passed thru only had a dozen or so tractors and implements on site, they were playing the same "space 'em out" game to make the lot look fuller than it was.

Its not abnormal at all to see a 5, 10, or even 25k "market adjustment" to the price tag, and the auto makers won't be yanking franchises over it, because the automakers are the ones who cannot fulfill their obligations to provide new inventory. Its also why you're paying brand-new truck pricing for 5 or 6 year old trucks, and why 15 year old trucks are still selling for top dollar.

If it's a truck that has wheels and the engine starts - its worth a good chunk of change. Estimates are another year or more before things come back online anything like what they used to be, and that's IF we don't continue down the collapse. If we see more market disruptions over inflation, labor, or financial failures, the damage will take longer to fix.
    Saw an article I think in Wall Street Journal that said dealers could lose their dealerships for doing that. May or may not happen.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Saw an article I think in Wall Street Journal that said dealers could lose their dealerships for doing that. May or may not happen.

Going to go out on a limb and say wishful thinking on the authors part. The dealerships have to do it to cover costs. Hurts the automakers in the end if they start yanking franchises for an industry-wide practice unless their end-goal is to say "well, we don't have enough dealerships left, those laws preventing us from selling direct to consumer like Tesla does need to go" and then you wind up with GM / Ford / whatever kiosks in the mall where you order a car, instead of a traditional dealership where you buy one on the lot after a test drive of that specific car, etc. They might have one of every model, or just the popular ones and you order your option package / color and have it shipped to you. Automakers could make that a win by charging dealership prices for an essentially wholesale operation.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Going to go out on a limb and say wishful thinking on the authors part...
    “Ford Chief Executive Jim Farley said Thursday that dealers who engage in this practice will face consequences, including losing supplies of future models. Auto makers set a manufacturer’s suggested retail price, or MSRP, when they ship cars to dealerships. Dealers aren’t required to adhere to them, but under business norms that has been the general practice and expectation.”

Ford goes on to say they plan to re-allocate inventory shipments to the 300 or so dealers charging well above MSRP for high demand models.

The article ran way back in February, iirc.

Probably a paywall. https://www.wsj.com/articles/ford-g...cker-price-and-face-repercussions-11644323580

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I caught a big deer in my navigator and insurance decided to total it. So, I stated looking for a replacement.
    Dayum they're expensive. So, looking for a pickup...... almost as much and harder to find. Most dealers in my area only have a couple or a few new vehicles. I finally found something I like in Beeville.... on order with a 30-day expected delivery.

This NOT a good time to be trying to buy, but don't want to pay new price for used truck either.
    FJB

If that's the FORD place in Beevile, ask the Dealer if he still has "Smoke-Along". Also, inquire about the FORD FACTORY extended warranty; it is an absolute wonderful deal. You must get it when you buy the truck new, or it'll be prohibitively expensive later. My 2010 F150 w/ 126K miles is still under warranty. there is a $100/incident co-pay and that's it; Ford covers everything else except tires, batteries, belts, & wiper blades. It has all the goodies too, like replacement vehicle rental payments, road service included, etc.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    They are getting around the ADM by adding kit to their inventory at triple the retail price. Tint, paint protection, floor mats, bed liner, etc. That way, it’s not a simple up charge. On paper, you are actually getting something in return

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

They are total pieces of s***. The Ford versions too (think they call it Ecoboost). You have to increase the boost so high in those engines just to get the truck moving, it's cutting the lifespan of the engine. They also burn a ton of oil, and a lot of them get oil dilution from unburnt fuel. People are blowing them up in the 50,000-75,000 mile range, so your brother is right near that range.

I'd take the previous 5.3L V8 or even the 4.3L V6 over the crappy 4 cylinder, small displacement turbo boosted ticking time bombs they put into modern pickups.
    Should have gotten the Isuzu 2.8 baby max. 85k still on original injectors, turbo, battery, zero issues under the hood. 6L50 fluid changed twice no problems. Going to change my diff fluid again soon. No diff issues.

The touch screen is trash on Chevy trucks but other than that this lil Colorado is not fussy.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Should have gotten the Isuzu 2.8 baby max. 85k still on original injectors, turbo, battery, zero issues under the hood. 6L50 fluid changed twice no problems. Going to change my diff fluid again soon. No diff issues.

The touch screen is trash on Chevy trucks but other than that this lil Colorado is not fussy.

Not everyone can be as cool as you, we've discussed this already. :spank:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My guess is if Biden was suddenly replaced by Trump (as if by magic overnight), the U.S. car makers would stop depending on China or India (Ithink that is anoither one) for computer chips for cars and a company or three or more would start making them here in great numbers and the vehicle shortages would go away. One can dream I suppose; I hate having to wait two years to oust Biden and Harris and replace them with a real president and VP who want to see America prosper and for me to see a car at a reasonable price again.

Not that easy. Apple is trying to manufacture chips in the US and they are 10 years out from actually having a chip. It will be the same for anyone else who chooses to make chips here or expand production.

And the chips are far more likely to come from Taiwan than China.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I was unfortunate enough to buy a used 2019 F-150 at CarMax at the end of last year... :(
    I do get CarMax's warranty... as I have lost 2 Altima CVT transmissions in the same car, w/in 3 years,
    so I don't want that kind of pop-up expense again.

Luckily I made a chuck of change on the former suburb. home we sold (bought at the last bottom, sold at near the top to find some land), so I could put 26K down, making my payments less than $280/month...
    They didn't get ALL the interest they wanted, LESS than HALF. :)

We wanted a 3rd vehicle, one with 4wd due to the ice last year, and possible floods.

Daughter is going to need a car soon, and SHE can drive the wife's crossover-Chevvy, as Chevvy's never work right with Android Auto....
    Hell, Her 2017 Equinox doesn't even support Apple CarPlay, nor Android Auto, and it's a stinking 2017!!!
    My rental Chevvy I got for work recently didn't work with my high-end USB-C cable, I had to buy a gas-station cable to get it to work. :(

Last edited:
    Top Bottom