Not all .45s are equal

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by TexZaa, Nov 18, 2009.

1. TexZaa

TexZaa New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Cedar Park, Texas
    My carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I never feel undergunned wearing that thing on my hip under a baggy shirt, sweater or jacket as I'm walking across the restaurant parking lot. It's so light that my cellphone in my pocket bothers me more than the weight of that little .45 on my hip. But recently, I heard a crash from the livingroom in the middle of the night. I was out of bed with a flashlight in one hand and the Kimber in the other. One thought that went through my head was: "I hope 7 rounds are enough." I'm sure it was purely psychological, but all of a sudden that Kimber didn't seem adaquate. The noise? My damn cat getting up on the diningroom table.

The next day I remembered those feelings and asked myself why I felt so comfortable on the street with a Kimber, but not in the middle of the night in my home? Part of it had to do with the fact that I had both hands full. Flashlight in one...gun in the other. I needed a gun with more bullets AND a flashlight. My solution: The Springfield Armory XD-45 Tactical. It's humongous compared to the Kimber, but who cares if the furthest I'm going to carry it is to the livingroom looking for rude cats? It carries 13 rounds of .45acp in the mag and one in the chamber. So...come cats, zombies or burglars with a death-wish, I feel adequate AND I attached a flashlight!

This is all so subjective, isn't it?

[​IMG]

2. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Nice kitty gun there!

3. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    At night, I feel undergunned with my S&W 642, but not during the day. My Kimber Covert makes me feel very comfortable day or night.

4. treyw

treyw Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    The Benelli is my night gun, and can't ever imagine feeling uncomfortable with it in my hands.

5. res1b3uq

res1b3uq Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Bet if the same thing happens again, you will be just as uptight with the XP as you were with the Kimber. The unknown can be pretty scary. Maybe a Scattergun?

6. Sidewayz

Sidewayz Active Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    The XD45 is a great gun! The compact model actually carries pretty well and holds 10 rounds. Though it's not as light as your Kimber.

With that 5" barrel you ought to be able to pick off rude cats at 50yds.:fighting0010:

7. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I feel undergunned when all I have is a handgun to check a noise with.

So I reach for my AK instead.

8. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

30 round mags are hard to argue with :lolz:

9. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Kind of makes the 8 rounds vs 17 rounds kind of moot.

10. TexZaa

TexZaa New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Cedar Park, Texas

I don't know about being uptight. I was behind the counter at a gun store back in Houston during the 70s and was confronted by three robbers who just couldn't get their guns out fast enough before mine was in their face. I didn't feel undergunned or uptight with my .45 then. All three broke and ran and were caught a block over by several kick-ass sheriff's deputies.

I certainly didn't feel undergunned or uptight with an M16A2 Commando during a robbery in a Lubbock gunstore back in the 80s. Again...the robber turned and ran like a scalded ape when he heard that bolt slam forward. I thought my ex-tank-drivin marine buddy behind the counter was toast there for second. So did he. Never caught the guy.

But for some crazy reason...searching through my own house with a flashlight and a compact .45 made me feel like i needed more. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using a scattergun in a house where one of my family members could be near the target. But then....I've never been much of a shotgunner.

I guess perhaps my thoughts now are that when you have to carry concealed, you go with what is light, powerful, and accurate and can be comfortably worn for long periods. But when you are forwarned and you have to fill your hand with an effective weapon to face the dark, your mind tells you that you need overwhelming firepower. I think the previous poster had it right when he said he grabs an AK.

Just think....cops have to face that dark on a daily basis. My hat goes off to them.

:texas: