• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So while I was voting I came across some things that I honestly had no idea who was running. Knew nothing about them at all.

I thought about it for a little bit, started to pick one, thought some more, an decided to come back later. After I went through the rest of the ballot I returned to the unselected sections and thought some more, racking my brain to recognize a name. Since it's a primary I couldn't just vote down a party line, all same party.

Eventually I decided the best thing I could do was not vote in those sections. Didn't want to cast a boy only to find out I disagree with the person on many fronts.

Anybody else have that problem? Do you skip, or just pick one?
    Hurley's Gold

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    There were a few I was just picking whoever had a funny name. One guy got my vote simply because he had his nickname of "bud" on the ballot. I didn't know any of the people, so I just went with that. I didn't realize you could just no select one.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I voted for some, but not all of the scoundrels on the ticket.

When it came time to "cast" my vote on the electronic voting machine, it lit up like a Vegas Slot Machine.

The machine does not like it if you don't vote for every damned candidate on the slate.

Had to go back and override the idiot button, and tell the machine there were a bunch of people not worthy of my vote.

That is how Obama got elected.

We absolutely need to go back to paper ballots, and disqualify any voter who cannot read the ballot without electronic prompts.

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    I got my sample ballot ahead of time and researched the candidates for every race (that had more than one candidate).
    The few I could not make a decision on I skipped because I feel strongly that tossing a vote towards a candidate that I did not know enough about or feel was better than their opponent pretty much defeats the entire point of a primary.
    I thought that all electronic voting machines allowed for the ballot to be cast with some non-selected races, but if not, that really needs to be corrected.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It does allow it, but it will ask you again at the end if the ballot. Just have to skip again and then tell it you don't want to pick and confirm.

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    My wife does the same thing, and IMO its better than making an uninformed decision.

That being said I try to educate myself at least a little bit on most of the races.

Iamntxhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    I did the sample ballot and researched which is boring in a sense but I felt it was necessary. Not knocking those that skipped over some with that comment just stating what I did. I did use a couple of websites that helped cut through the long drawn out never ending reading. With some not so well known candidates it is some work to get to a point of making an informed decision.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    The Wendy Davis campaign says 12,000 volunteers have made 360,000 calls through Tuesday afternoon. She made a few last minute dials, but it's those volunteers that take on the lion's share of the phone work.
    She said she hopes her supporters turn out at the pools as both a show of strength that will bolster her future volunteer ranks. Davis made a handful of calls Tuesday afternoon but mostly found answering machines and voicemails. - News 8's Jim Douglas

found this funny little gem LOL

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It took me 4 hours yesterday to get my sample ballot researched. I got all of them but I agree that skipping a vote on a race is preferable to tossing a dart to pick a name randomly.

Flash

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The sample ballot is something I had never messed with, really never even crossed my mind.

It will be part of my preparation next time.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Same. I'd rather not vote than vote for the wrong person. I'll go and cast a ballot, but it may be blank. I need to make sure to take even more time to research it though.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    In times like these you need to know who the conservatives are. I've started paying real close attention to politics since 2012. It seems like every day the democrats gain more votes in Congress. Know the RINOs. Get rid of 'em.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    How do you get a sample ballot?

From the county clerk.

But seriously on your voters registration card is your precinct. There will be sample ballots per precincts from your county clerk. Which is available online.

As for the op. I typically skip if I don't know.
    For instance I have no clue who the best Republican Party chair so I skipped it. Lol.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I certainly think it's best to be well informed and vote on each candidate or issue. However, when you aren't informed, the prudent thing to do is not vote. Unfortunately I have had to do that as well. Now only if the statists would do the same, they wouldn't go to the polls at all.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I fill out every section. I always get the sample ballot beforehand and research who is on it. Usually googling with a "[candidate] guns" or "[candidate] small government" etc to see what they are about. If I cant get any good history on them or there's too many to go through, I'll vote for the woman or a minority (based on the name). I ain't even lyin'. We need some likeminded diversity in the party.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom