• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    To each their own, but it don't do a thing for me. The only ones that I kinda like (for novilty) on a "black" rifle, is the HK 91/G3 furniture. It just seems like it is out of place. Maybe it will grow on me.......

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Funny how things come full circle. The first M-16 submitted to the Army at Aberdeen wore wood furniture. Seems like it would defeat the purpose of the platform being a light weight weapon system though.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I am a wood furniture purist, but on Eugene Stoner's rifle I must say HELL NO. An AK can go either way and look good.

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    Going to take the same approach many others have. It isn't my thing, but I am sure someone saw the pics and thought "AWESOME!". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Craig

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I would kinda like to set one up with the original wood furniture just to have a replica of the first M16s but as far as a standard SUR I'll vote for a lighter plastic living room set.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Meh...Love good wood on a gun, especially shot guns, but I'm also a form function guy for things like AR's

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The first M-16 submitted to the Army at Aberdeen wore wood furniture.

The first M16 (AR-15) was simply a scaled down version of the AR-10. The AR-10 had the now familiar plastic buttstock and forend. The first prototypes of the M16 sent in for testing also had the same plastic buttstock and forend. They never came with wood. That's according to my July 1965 copy of The Book of Rifles.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have seen pics of my father in laws dad holding a wood stocked M16 in Vietnam. Well I'll look the next chance I get it might not have a wood stock on it.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Also, the M16 is the only production Army rifle not to go through normal Army adoption process (thanks to Robert McNamara) so it did not go through any trials at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Existing photos of the first prototype M16s clearly show a plastic buttstock and forend.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Purely from the "what I'm used to" response, I think the AR looks best with plastic. I can't help thinking the AR with regular wood stock looks "wrong". But, its just an opinion. Nothing wrong with getting out there on the edge every once in a while. Maybe the laminates would grow on you in person...

Jeff B.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, my first gut reaction was "oh heck no," but the more I look at the black laminated. . . . you never know if it will just look awesome in person. . . or like another bad idea.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I didn't look to see if they offered a bunch of different rails and light mounts with wood screws. Man, you could mount a rail in any possible position!

Top Bottom