NRA discount email. Scam?

Discussion in 'Activism' started by XinTX, Jul 16, 2015.

1. XinTX

XinTX Well-Known

Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I've received a couple emails from the "NRA" saying I have a discount that can be applied to a lifetime membership. But the email takes me to a link that I can't verify is really an NRA link. Wondering if it is legit or a scam. The web site it takes me to is:

https://www.nra.org/accountservices/

2. outdare

outdare Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Houston
    If you are interested in the lifetime membership call them. They will most likely apply the discount.

3. Mreed911

Mreed911 TGT Addict

Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    You can't verify that NRA.org is an NRA link? It's even got a valid certificate from a public provider.

What am I missing?

The "discount" is just that - half off a life membership. It's marketing-speak, not any real credit you have with them.

4. XinTX

XinTX Well-Known

Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    It's easy to "spoof" web sites. Then again, I'm not enough of a web geek to properly evaluate certificates. Not sure someone couldn't spoof that as well.

5. Mreed911

Mreed911 TGT Addict

Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Generally you can trust your browser if it's a 'modern' browser (updated in the last year). If it's green/checked/verified, the site is good to go.

There are exceptions but they're very, very rare (and short-lived).

6. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    True, they offered it to me when I renewed on the phone yesterday for $500.

7. subseashooter

subseashooter Use Your Imagination..... Lifetime Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Spring/Canada
    Someone was asking about a discount on NRA lifetime memberships the other day.....

8. XinTX

XinTX Well-Known

Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Given I'm planning a vacation, I can't do the $500, so I did their EPL. $25 per quarter is pretty easy.

9. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think it was $300 when I did my life membership. Good deal for a lifetime subscription to a decent gun magazine ;)

10. stemoo01

stemoo01 Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    I got a similar e-mail. Whilst I wasn't worried about how genuine the link was the content confused me.

The whole thing was tied to the election, but as far as I'm aware none of the dues would go to the -ILA.... I'm happy to support both the NRA & -ILA, but as far as I can tell becoming a life member has little relevance to the election (beyond bumping life member numbers)