• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Excerpt from NRA-ILA email this morning...

Texas House Gives Final Approval to Impressive Number of Pro-Second Amendment Bills
    [FONT]​
    [/FONT]​
    ImageProxy.mvc
    Gun owners’ patience and persistence was rewarded on Saturday and yesterday, as the Texas House of Representatives led by Speaker Joe Straus (R-San Antonio) gave approval to a wide range of pro-gun legislation while the NRA Annual Meeting was underway in Houston. Most of these bills passed overwhelmingly, in spite of repeated attempts by anti-gun members of the minority party to kill some of these measures by raising parliamentary “points of order” against them for alleged violations of House rules. Many violations are procedural in nature, involving the committee process and committee reports. Thanks to the meticulous work of House Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee Chairman Joe Pickett (D-El Paso) and his staff, none of the points were sustained, and debate and votes on the bills were allowed to proceed on the House floor.
    Thank you to the hard-working sponsors of these measures and their dedicated staff for getting them passed in the state House of Representatives

First, no enacted legislation this session really substantively changes any gun rights in Texas. IMO, this session has been a complete failure for advancing gun rights. Why are we celebrating again?

Secondly, Pickett and Strauss did everything they could to derail the gun bills. By patting them on the back people aren't going to understand how these complete ass-hats tried to undermine the pro gun bills, and they're going to get re-elected again.

WTF NRA-ILA? Seriously?
    ARJ Defense ad

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    The NRA really pisses me off sometimes. They bend when they shouldn't, they are just as bad as Congress when it comes to back room deals. Im sorry, I am a member, but if I am supporting you then IMO you darn well shouldnt be cuttin no back room deals with your boyfriends in DC. Strauss and Pickett are morons, a special kind of stupid, know what I mean?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It should have read something more like this...

Despite the anti-gun committee assignment made by Strauss in choosing Pickett, and Pickett's effort at killing all pro gun legislation in committee, some small gains were still made this legislative session. While we are a little disappointed with the results of this session, we hope to bring the choices of these two individuals to the attention of voters before Texas' next legislative session in 2015 and enact meaningful, positive change.

Most voters don't pay attention to the details. If the NRA basically pats these guys on the back people aren't going to realize what really happened. I just don't get it.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I guess it is a matter of perspective.

Compared to the bills that were passed in many northeast states this session the Texas ones seem pretty damn good.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    By contrast, the start of the NAGR email I just received...

"Texas Campus Carry Bill A Huge Disappointment"

That was the headline after the Texas State House passed HB-972, the so-called "campus carry" bill on Saturday.

NAGR offered several pro-gun amendments to strengthen campus carry way back in January.

Since then, members and supporters like you have been contacting lawmakers in Austin diligently to urge them to pass REAL pro-gun reforms.

But now they've delayed, and stalled, and ducked for cover beneath the shadow of Gucci-loafered lobbyists intent on kissing politician's butt in exchange for little to no advancement or protections of your Second Amendment rights this year.

Now they have just 19 days to do something, or Texans will end up with squat -- AGAIN.

Now this is no surprise. Texas politicians talk tough, but every two years when they get to Austin, their limp-wrists take over.

And year after year, the reputation of Texas as a "pro-gun" state becomes a little more tarnished.

Make no mistake -- Governor Rick Perry, Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst, and House Speaker Joe Strauss have proven time and time again they are only willing to blow hot air.

But Barack Obama and his legion of bureaucrats at all levels of government have proven they're willing to walk the walk.

I want to like the NRA, and I'm a member, but all I can do is shake my head and wonder what they're thinking sometimes.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    They bend when they shouldn't, they are just as bad as Congress when it comes to back room deals.

I respectfully disagree. I cancelled my NRA membership twice over the years for this very thing. I was pissed that the NRA would bargain away some of our rights in order to restore peace. The only problem is that Libtards are total liars and take what they are given then return for more.

I do not see ANYTHING like that happening now! In fact, I am known by friends as being hard nosed and I will NOT back up once I determine what my course of action will be. You couldn't MAKE me do a damned thing!

I see a lot of those same traits in the 2013 NRA attitudes and business. I had to smile at some of the confrontations! They run the NRA just like I would do!

There is ONE exception to the above. Members of Congress are dirty, low down snakes. If they were out dancing nude in the moonlight and screwing chickens, beating or cheating on their wives, I'd have investigators all over that! I would investigate Shumer, Biden, Feinstein until I knew what color panties they wore, if they were switch hitters or financially sound. I would know my enemies extremely well and I don't see NRA doing that. No doubt, there are laws against that but it wouldn't slow me down one bit.

Flash

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Our inbred neighbor to the east got Constitutional Carry.

We got shit.

Texas stands for what sort of freedom again?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I guess it is a matter of perspective.

Compared to the bills that were passed in many northeast states this session the Texas ones seem pretty damn good.

I choose not to live in those places.
    I expect more out of Texas

Top Bottom