Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My club just sent an email out reminding people not to use M855 or other AP ammo on steel targets.
    Many years ago, there was a club in Alaska that went to considerable trouble and expense to mount an inverted section of railroad rail downrange as a target stand. Steel silhouettes could be knocked off the rail. It was the sort of solid target base that all silhouette ranges aspire to have.

Someone with a .50 BMG proceeded to place shot after shot in the center of the rail, each shot next to the one before. Eventually, all the dots connected and the top and bottom of the rail separated. All that expense and trouble were wasted because of one pernicious yahoo.
    ...we can't have nice things.
    Too often true.

I've often said that if I opened a commercial range it would be the sort of place I'd like to shoot: a gallery-style place, outdoors, with nothing but steel targets. I feel sure, though, that some people would take that as a challenge to see how many holes they could punch in the steel.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I've often said that if I opened a commercial range it would be the sort of place I'd like to shoot: a gallery-style place, outdoors, with nothing but steel targets. I feel sure, though, that some people would take that as a challenge to see how many holes they could punch in the steel.

I'd definitely love to shoot somewhere like that. Even if it was just rimfire. But then somebody would probably bring out .17 HMR and ruin that too.

Steel on the rifle range is fairly new at our club. I've been hoping we could add more than paper to the rifle range and I'd hate for some idiots to go and ruin it for us already.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I'm a member at Big Rock Gun Club. On the rifle range there are target frames at 35, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500yds. At 2-3-400 yds there are steel disks, at 400 there is also a hog. At 500 there is a deer and 6 disks ranging down to abt 4". Jump in the waters fine.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Huh???

Morning anyway. Forgot to put out trash last night and didn't get up early enough this morning. Gonna catch it when the other half gets up.
    Sorry, teacher talk. I'm salary so I don't get overtime, an overload ( based on the amount of classes and students above the ordinary) is like overtime pay. Since I have been teaching here, every semester I have received an overload, but never double. I usually average between 50 and 55 hours a week, this semester looks to be around 62+.

Top Bottom