Guns International

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    And people made fun of long distance rifle shooters back then just like they do today.

View attachment 309111
    Yeah, the first international competition at Creedmoor, was the Irish, Scots, British and U.S.A. 15 shots for each member of a team at 800, 900 and then 1000 yards. The Americans took the lead at 800 yards, but the Irish started inching their way back at 900 yards, and then again at 1000 yards. In the end the Irish were ahead, but the last American (John Bodine), with his last shot took the win.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, the first international competition at Creedmoor, was the Irish, Scots, British and U.S.A. 15 shots for each member of a team at 800, 900 and then 1000 yards. The Americans took the lead at 800 yards, but the Irish started inching their way back at 900 yards, and then again at 1000 yards. In the end the Irish were ahead, but the last American (John Bodine), with his last shot took the win.
    I know. A cherished copy of "Irish Riflemen in America" by Arthur Leech rests on my bedside table at this very moment.

I wish I could find a photo of one of those true Creedmoor rifles designed for a reclined shooting position. They have tangent sights mounted atop the buttplate and I think they're really cool. A quick google search only turns up drawings from that period, like this one.

R.fde6df9ecb4dd5775b9b90056e8b1b3d.jpeg

However, I get the impression that most folks made do with a more conventional rear sight placement.

OIP.B19scrCeRtnN22E0Dh6V3gHaEC.jpeg

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I know. A cherished copy of "Irish Riflemen in America" by Arthur Leech rests on my bedside table at this very moment.

I wish I could find a photo of one of those true Creedmoor rifles designed for a reclined shooting position. They have tangent sights mounted atop the buttplate and I think they're really cool. A quick google search only turns up drawings from that period, like this one.

View attachment 309169

However, I get the impression that most folks made do with a more conventional rear sight placement.

View attachment 309168
    One of the reasons I spent well over an hour researching 'Creedmoor' is that I found the history of it fascinating, and read through much of what I found. Having a 6mm Creedmoor myself I had known that the cartridge was developed by Creedmoor Sports, I just thought that was where it ended. I never thought the name went further back (over 100 years) in the firearm field than that.

Top Bottom