Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I really hope
    I understand that feeling. Right now I'm sitting on the shoulder of 59 southbound next to the GRB convention center. Something blew up under my car. I felt something hit just under my feet and the engine light came on.

There was no smoke and it didn't immediately die so I'm hoping that I blew out a blocked catalytic converter.

Now just waiting on the tow.

:(

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I understand that feeling. Right now I'm sitting on the shoulder of 59 southbound next to the GRB convention center. Something blew up under my car. I felt something hit just under my feet and the engine light came.

There was no smoke and it didn't immediately die so I'm hoping that I blew out a blocked catalytic converter.

Now just waiting on the tow.

:(

Good luck to you.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    $600 later, we have water again. Turns out the controller was indeed bad, which, I guess in the scheme of things (I don't want to jinx myself finishing that sentence!)

They also gave me a reasonable quote on fixing the other parts of our well - the guy who we bought the house from cut a lot of corners, including installing the pressure tank & everything himself, and it was far, far, far from code. Like, the tank sitting on 2x4s on the ground and sinking.

For $1600 they'll replace the rusty tank (which was probably used when the old owner got it...) with a brand new fiberglass tank, pour the actual required cement pad, and fix the plumbing issues that I had to hastily repair last summer. Pretty good deal.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Welps, not being much of a plumber, I YouTube'd / Doctor Google'd likely causes of our water woes. The handful of things I could check myself don't *appear* to be the issue at hand, or the "test" was just to replace shit. I don't want to just start throwing money at shit, and not have it be the problem. I've got a well company on the way to come look at it. I really hope its not the damn pump and its a simpler / cheaper fix.
    Just in case … Waterlogged tank is one first thing to check for, and easiest to rectify.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I guess I'm semi-lucky. Spark plug blew out of the head. That explains why it was still running,just very roughly.

~$900 and a day without the car should get it fixed.
    Hey Ben,

Round here? That is a $250 to $300 job....

The 4.6 is bad (had one blow out on my last Crown Vic..) But the 5.4's......?? in the pick up trucks are terrible...

Of course...if it trashed the coil pack...that will be another $80....

Later, Mark

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    1656439995048.png

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I think the "Triton" name was only used in the truck, SUV and van lines for the engine, IIRC.
    Ah okay I know that blowing out the spark plugs is a common problem.

***Edit..... should have noted that it happens to the Ford 4.6 and 5.4 V8s. I've seen the repair kits at the auto parts store too.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom