Join TexasGunTalk

NW restaraunt warning?

Discussion in 'Houston' started by xdmikey, Sep 21, 2019.

1. candcallen

candcallen Well-Known

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm sorry that happened to you but it isnt exactly fraud and has no relevance to the discussion of fraud and debit cards.

It is however a good reminder of understanding the limits of charge backs.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Frank59

Frank59 NO MA'AM!! TGT Supporter

May 14, 2018
    Houston
    My wife and I have a debt card account and a savings account. We can get online and conveniently transfer money between the two accounts. I only have a modest amount in my debit account in case someone jacks my number. It's a huge risk to keep all your money in one account, especially using a debit account as a savings. Some of these cyber hackers who target credit card accounts are very sophisticated.

3. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13 Active Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    I was bit for 1400 in Vegas. I’ve never even been to Vegas. Being a smaller bank, my money was tied up for about 2 weeks and they gave me a hard time about the charge asking me to prove it was fraudulent. After a long back and forth and showing them transactions from my CC on the day the fraud occurred they put it back in my account. I now have no money at that bank. I’m now CC only. I don’t use my debit card. In fact it’s not even in my wallet anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BillFairbanks likes this.
  4. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Thanks folks.

I’m definitely not handing off either card to anyone anymore.

If they give me crap about it I’ll tell them the last time I was here my card was hacked. I’m so sorry to disrupt their business with my payment practices but I won’t be darkening their doorway ever again!

5. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I don't even bother caring about it anymore. I tend to have a card compromise once every two years at least. If it's not unauthorized charges, it's fraudsters calling (yes, on the phone) into the card issuer to get access to my rewards points. "We can set a password to eliminate that problem." Great, lets do that! Fast forward a year, and again hundreds in rewards cash go missing. Call up the bank and ask how someone got into an account where I created a unique password, known only by me, and never used anywhere else? "They said they couldn't remember the password and answered security questions about you." What questions? Basic things you can find on Google, like Mother's maiden name.

But ... I do use Apple pay everywhere it's supported. Barring that, I use my new Apple credit card - no numbers on it, just a flat piece of titanium with an Apple logo and my name. If I need the number or CVV2, I pull it up in the app on my phone. If I want a new credit card number because I get a bad feeling about an experience somewhere and think they skimmed my card? Hit a button in the app and the card instantly gets a new number.

toddnjoyce and BillFairbanks like this.
  6. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't sweat it. I always check all charges on the bill to make sure they are accurate. The credit card company has caught fraud before I did on several occasions. And if I dispute a charge, they always issue a credit.

If they need to change the account number, they overnight new cards to me.

BillFairbanks, V-Tach and ZX9RCAM like this.
  7. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Since my nephew got his debit card hit at a restaurant a couple of years ago, I pay cash at restaurants where s.o.p. is to entrust my card to a server who'll take it from my view.

BillFairbanks and Bozz10mm like this.
  8. rl96ss

rl96ss Well-Known

Feb 20, 2013
    South Texas
    Just got hit for $100.02 last week. Two charges for .01 each, then $100. My bank refunded it, but pending investigation. Going to start carrying cash for small purchases.

9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Everything I Own Is Paid For

Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Me Too

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Everything I Own Is Paid For

Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    The incentive to stop is not there. If a person does get caught nothing is done. There should be severe penalties and jail time. Just because this transaction was small doesn't mean that the career charges were small. Keep them in jail until the technology changes and they are out of date.

BillFairbanks and rl96ss like this.