Gun Zone Deals

NYC Mayor Blows Up At Reporter Over Gun Control Question (VIDEO)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    (There is a commercial at the beginning of the video)NYC Mayor Blows Up At Reporter Over Gun Control Question (VIDEO) - WPIX

QUEENS, NY (PIX11)—
    Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City may be taking a national stand against gun violence--but he apparently can't stand local, television reporters who challenge him on a city policy involving NYPD "shell casings."

The Mayor got testy with yours truly--Mary Murphy--when I questioned him Monday about the June sale of 28-thousand pounds of spent, shell casings from the NYPD's firing range in the Bronx….to an ammunition dealer in Georgia.

Bloomberg explained that competitive bidding allows anyone to buy scrap metal--and he suspects "some bullet manufacturer probably bought some to say, 'Gotcha'". The mayor has angered many gun dealers, especially in the South, with his campaigns to tighten the laws that make it so easy to buy weapons in certain states.

When PIX 11 asked Mayor Bloomberg if the city would change its policy, so ammunition dealers could not get access to NYPD shell casings, he started to maintain that the city is selling scrap metal, not bullets, and city officials have to be "stewards of the public's money." When I tried to interject, asking if the wrong message is being sent, the mayor told me that if I didn't let him finish the answer, I should "stand in the back of the room" at his next press availability. He then repeated his argument, "These are not bullets. This is scrap metal," and accused reporters of being fed information by a gun dealer "that gives you a story to rile up everybody."

The New York City Police Department has been dealing with an explosion of gun violence in the summer months, including aBronx incident where a 4-year old boy was killed, while playing near a basketball court. Nationally, a dozen people were killed in a movie theater during a screening of "Dark Knight"--and this past weekend, six worshipers were slaughtered at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.

Mayor Bloomberg took the questions from PIX 11, outside a Sikh temple in Queens, where he went to pay his condolences to a local man who lost a relative in the Wisconsin shooting.

For several years, Michael Bloomberg has been a national voice on gun violence--traveling to Virginia in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings that left 32 people dead--challenging candidates for office who don't take a stronger stand on gun laws, including President Barack Obama and Republican candidate, Mitt Romney. Just last night, a coalition of mayors aired a commercial in prime time, during the Olympics, calling on Americans to "Demand a Stand."

When the story broke last Wednesday about the NYPD shell casings, the Mayor was not available for public comment that day. But Bronx Borough President, Ruben Diaz, Jr., quickly sent a letter to City Hall, calling the sale of the spent shells "unconscionable."

PIX 11 wanted to know how some other Borough Presidents felt, so we contacted three of them. In Queens, Borough President Helen Marshall's office said, "We certainly support the effort to safeguard where the shell casings eventually go--and anything that reduces guns or ammunition on the street." PIX 11 was still waiting to hear from two others.

New York City still has its lowest murder rate in decades, but Police Commissioner Ray Kelly did not want to go beyond what Mayor Bloomberg said on the "spent shell" issue. When I asked Kelly why everyone was so sensitive about my questions, he responded, "I think you've got to give it up, Mary, you already got your answer."

ARJ Defense ad

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Not surprised politicians would sell their own mothers just to make a buck. They don't give a rats about the people just how much they can pocket before everyone figures out what's going.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    If he could press a button to ban every gun in america. I bet that it would exclude his armed body guards.

Now, whats he gonna do with the brass off his police?

Hire people to crush the casings before sale? Lowering the price to simple brass salvage. His BS crusade, is expensive.

I just can't understand why the hell he just doesn't move to England...He'd be happier. No guns, no worries.

Then again, without guns, they just beat the hell out out of one another. He'd better tone his little skinny butt up.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    He's also starting to figure out that he's fighting a losing battle. Guns are here to stay legal or otherwise.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Bloomberg and Shumer came out of the same egg....probably cracked before it hatched. I have no use for either one of them.

Flash

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    It's all called kickbacks. Being from Illinois, near Chicago I can tell you in govement, in business and especially union business and factories the key to getting ahead is kickbacks. I had a friend retire from the shop I worked in. I remember in 1981 working with him and he was making $7.00 a hour at the time. He pulled out his wallet and proceeded to show my certificates of deposit that totalled up to over $300,000. I was like ok tell me how you were able to do that? He was the trucker that took the the jobs to the job shops to have machined. The shop told him to get a quote on it and get the job started. The various job shops would give him a quote much higher then the actual cost and split with him under the table the differnce. It goes on all over the big cities up north. They will do studies of putting a street in, I mean a 4 block cross over and the study costs $500k. The city pays it the money is splict and the taxpayers are taxed... Nothing suprises me. Just recently there was a city manager that was in Dixon Il, not far from where I was. In 20 years to took over $30 million. The country would be just fine if all the graft was ever ended.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    28k lb. Likely didn't take too long to scrape that up.
    Speaking of arrogant bastards.........
    Daily Kos: Mayor: "I've got the 7th biggest army in the world!"

Your comment reminded me of a picture I saw this weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344398671.800465.jpg

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    So, this reporter is even more anti-gun than Bloomberg. I'm kind of surprised that he hasn't changed the city's policy. Two pieces of turd.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Funny thing is that Mary the reporter is not pro gun and they still treat her this way.

Doesn't matter, Bloomberg can get up there all day long and push his agenda and actually receive money supporting it but as soon as he thinks somebody is questioning where he stands he goes into defensive mode. He's always reminded me of that corrupt mayor of a crime filled town in comic books, I'll never understand how someone who apparently loves their first amendment rights and seems to "care" about this country can be so against the second amendment.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    It was a no win, hard ball, question that put them on the defensive. Then, when she got the answer, she dug into them trying to push her own agenda.

Three was no right answer to that question in her mind, as the brass had already been sold, and an agenda she wanted to kick into the ground.

I'd be a bit flustered as well. For us as gun owners we don't see the fight as selling brass to a ammo place would be as normal as a recycling place.

Top Bottom