• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Now, as in the past shortages, we sometimes can find powder but not the ones we want. What unusual/unpopular powders have you used?

During the post Sandy Hook panic I was looking for powders to help me stretch my inventory of W231.

I found and used:

700-X

Works super well, but is the second worst metering powder in the world. Extremely accurate with an SNS Casting 125gr LRN in the .38 Special. I got it to meter but I had to jump through a lot of hoops. I still use it with that bullet.

800-X

The worst metering powder in the world. Good for full power loads in the .357 and .41 magnum. But forget trying to meter it. Dip and trickle is the way (weigh? lol) to go. I think this has been discontinued. I can't find any load data for handguns on the Hodgdon site. There is data out there.

There's better options (because of the metering issue) but if it's all you can get it worked well for me in the .357 and .41. But I don't shoot a lot of full power loads anymore. I have some still but don't use it other than an occasional box of .357 that I load using just a dipper.

TiteWAD

I always capitalize the WAD because people confuse it with Titegroup, which was on the list of powders I wanted and somebody misread. I ended up with a pound of TiteWAD. Which is a lot because this stuff is super, super, fast. The fastest powder I've ever used. It works well in the .45 ACP. Not a lot of data for this powder but if you aren't paranoid about double charges it'll work. There's only data for .45 ACP and 9mm that I can find. I may never use this can up but I still load it in .45 ACP.

I never used it in 9mm as there's only data for one bullet and it's too fast to "experiment" with. If I was going too, I'd run the 9mm test loads through my convertible Blackhawk as it's the toughest 9mm I know of. I have better things to do.

These were all on the shelf during the last shortage because nobody wanted them. But they worked for me. Anybody else try stuff that's not your first choice but just because it was available, and it worked well enough?
    Capitol Armory ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    H335 works great in at least one of my pistols, a 7x47.

As for odd(er) stuff, I've occasionally found some use for SR4759. I haven't used any in a while,though; I haven't even cracked into the last case (32 pounds) that I bought. It's just sitting around and I really should start using it for something. ;)

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Red dot and promo for 9mm.

Couldn't find varget for a long time but scored some H4350 and ramshot tac and have stuck with them since.

Have a ton of reloader 15 I picked up when available. Never started any loads with it. I need to load it up just to get rid of it.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    H335?!?!?!? Do wut????

You serious Clark?

[please Baby Jesus, he be joshin’, right?]

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Have any luck with the Clay Dot? I have a pound that I bought the better part of a decade ago. I did some tests with it in a few pistol cartridges way back then, and if I remember right, the results were not that impressive.
    Hey Maverick,

Yes.

This may sound "odd"...

Use the same volume, as one would with CLAYS. IE: Use the18gr of Clays POWDER BAR/BUSHING in a 12 ga. Gives some charge of Clay Dot. Same pattern/recoil/velocity. (I'd like to say about a half a grain lighter than CLAYS??)

Similar in 45acp. 3.5gr CLAYS. Gives some charge (can look them up in my book)...of Clay Dot. Same velocity/accuracy with just a touch more recoil. This is in TARGET Ammo.....230gr LRN @ 750fps or so.

It is a bit dirtier than CLAYS.

Later, Mark

gemihur

chillin' like a villain
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Cave Spring, VA
    Trail Boss, but couldn't get enough in the case to give a good gas seal at case mouth upon ignition
    45-70 could get13 gr. of TB without compressing charge when seating light cast bullet
    Lot of carbon blow-by on the brass
    Fun Gun x sm.jpg

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Trail Boss, but couldn't get enough in the case to give a good gas seal at case mouth upon ignition
    45-70 could get13 gr. of TB without compressing charge when seating light cast bullet
    Lot of carbon blow-by on the brass
    View attachment 270985
    I had this when working up loads for a 458 socom with H110. My velocities were all over too. At higher pressure it sealed and velocity was dead on shot to shot.

It was pretty cool seeing that working up a load.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Over the years I've loaded .45 ACP with Unique, Bullseye, Titegroup, CFE-Pistol, HP-38 (which is also W231), PowerPistol, Longshot, and Winchester Action Pistol (discontinued). A lot of people use Clays, Blue Dot, or other powders for it. IMHO, non-magnum pistol cartridges are fairly forgiving when it comes to the powder being used, so there is a pretty wide variety that can work. It's easy to get stuck on one that gives you good results and then you're in trouble when that one's not available. It's good to have options.

Top Bottom