easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    True love.
    One of the favorite foods of the bald eagle is seagull chicks. Hundreds of seagulls nested at the shipyard I used to worked at in Washington, and they would go into a frenzy and attack an eagle relentlessly trying to chase it away when one appeared. If we saw an eagle coming, we would run for cover, for that usually meant white rain.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    One of the favorite foods of the bald eagle is seagull chicks. Hundreds of seagulls nested at the shipyard I used to worked at in Washington, and they would go into a frenzy and attack an eagle relentlessly trying to chase it away when one appeared. If we saw an eagle coming, we would run for cover, for that usually meant white rain.
    Bald Eagles seem completely different in Alaska... I grew up wondering why they called them endangered, saw dozens every weekend on the boat... then there was the Homer Eagle Lady...
    She made things like this possible:
    jeaninyard-copy.jpg

20070205_3.gif

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Bald Eagles seem completely different in Alaska... I grew up wondering why they called them endangered, saw dozens every weekend on the boat... then there was the Homer Eagle Lady...
    She made things like this possible:
    View attachment 145009
    They were endangered in the 70's due to the heavy use of DDT, it softened the egg shells to where the eagle nesting would often crush them.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    They were endangered in the 70's due to the heavy use of DDT, it softened the egg shells to where the eagle nesting would often crush them.
    That's the thing... DDT was only used in specific areas in Alaska... so Alaska population of Bald Eagles didn't really drop, at least in the Kenai penensula

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    That's the thing... DDT was only used in specific areas in Alaska... so Alaska population of Bald Eagles didn't really drop, at least in the Kenai penensula
    Since the 80's the bald eagle population, and other birds of prey, have made what many have said is a complete comeback. Even in Washington and Oregon they are spotted quite frequently. On the east coast I believe it took awhile longer. The funny thing is, the east coast bald eagle only grows to about half the size of those on the west coast.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Since the 80's the bald eagle population, and other birds of prey, have made what many have said is a complete comeback. Even in Washington and Oregon they are spotted quite frequently. On the east coast I believe it took awhile longer. The funny thing is, the east coast bald eagle only grows to about half the size of those on the west coast.
    I was on the boat in the '80s.. from '81-'88... and I don't recall there being any efforts to restore the Bald Eagle populations of Alaska when I lived there... there were actually programs to REMOVE Bald Eagles from Alaska to replenish populations in the lower 48. DDT was banned in 1972, before there was a lot of development in Alaska (the pipeline construction didn't start until 1975 after protracted legal challenges by environmental groups)
    More than half of the world's total bald eagle population lives in Alaska, followed by British Columbia. Estimates indicate that Alaska is home to 70,000 eagles, with another 20,000 in British Columbia.
    source: https://animals.mom.me/worlds-largest-bald-eagle-population-11698.html

Much of the data and fundraising to restore Bald Eagle populations ignored the population in Alaska, for fear that it would minimize the problem.
    The front page of the AEF even has a bar graph with a title ending "in the lower 48 States": https://www.eagles.org/what-we-do/e...gles/bald-eagle-decline-recovery/#toggle-id-4
    It was a VERY real problem in the lower 48.. but there was so much wide open space in Alaska that any DDT use didn't have significant impact on population there... There was also concern that DDT was so persistent (didn't break down) that it would spread to Alaska- but I'm not aware of it ever reaching dangerous levels. But maybe this all belonged in the "tell us something we didn't know" thread ;)

Top Bottom