• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    More than 3,000 sailors and merchant seamen died from the bitter cold and enemy attacks on the dangerous missions to transport vital supplies from Scotland to Soviet ports in the Arctic Circle. A total of 78 convoys delivered more than four million tonnes of supplies, including 7,000 plans and 5,000 tanks, between 1941 and 1945
    View attachment 155880
    It seems that Russia would be grateful to the Allies for preventing them from speaking German forever. Not the case. They forgot as soon as it was over.
    Lynx Defense

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    66e52e610512ef4a67fc01c10ded46a3.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Not sure I would call it cool, but it certainly is awesome.

I guess have a morbid curiosity with nuclear war. The whole thing is just nearly unbelievable I guess. At one time I had a huge collection of brochures that the Civil Defense would hand out to each state outlining what to do in case of attack. I sold the whole collection a few years ago and made a small fortune. I scanned all the brochures before selling them and also retained a few working instruments.

This is a small sample of the brochures:

Civil Defense brochure for Little Rock Arkansas.
    jGy8oxH.jpg

Denver Colorado
    Eq5VgoG.jpg

pw8y4s1.jpg

Ocean County N.J.
    Ho8lqo1.jpg

This is a fully functional CD V-700 made by Lionel, the same Lionel that made toy trains. This is for detecting fallout on persons entering the shelter, it measures in milliroentgens (very sensitive). Did you know that the old Coleman lantern mantels were made with radioactive thorium? The Geiger counter has fun with them. Some colored plates by Fiesta Ware were also made with uranium which this Geiger counter also detects. I have samples of both.
    fcXSjk0.jpg

This is a survey meter CD V-717. This is for measuring post attack fallout of the lethal variety. This measures in whole roentgens, the needle will never move on this instrument unless something is VERY wrong. It has a coiled 25ft cable and a separate probe for placing outside of a shelter.
    KAvsVDX.jpg

A CD V-750 dosimeter set. You could put these on if you were going to venture outside after radiation levels had fallen to about 50R to 100R per hour. At least I wouldn't go out at any higher a level.
    ZfBngku.jpg

Looking through the lens. Anyway that's my story with the nukes.
    81OOvB5.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This is for detecting fallout on persons entering the shelter, it measures in milliroentgens (very sensitive).
    I wonder who makes the detectors they use in the NY subway system, the ones that trigger alarms on people with cancer who have undergone radiation therapy.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    A CD V-750 dosimeter set. You could put these on if you were going to venture outside after radiation levels had fallen to about 50R to 100R per hour. At least I wouldn't go out at any higher a level.
    View attachment 156189

Looking through the lens. Anyway that's my story with the nukes.
    View attachment 156190
    Although the counters have changed quite a bit, these PD's are still pretty much the same as they use today, except they measure MREM (milliroentgens equivalent man).

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I wonder who makes the detectors they use in the NY subway system, the ones that trigger alarms on people with cancer who have undergone radiation therapy.

I can't answer that question though I can't say I blame them for being jumpy. A sign of the times I'm afraid.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Although the counters have changed quite a bit, these PD's are still pretty much the same as they use today, except they measure MREM (milliroentgens equivalent man).

Calibration services are still offered for these instruments. I might send the Geiger counter off for calibration just for fun.

Two more for you, a US ARMY chloroform dosimeter.
    Y6J48gA.jpg

A Conelrad alarm, this was used by local ham operators to keep Russian bombers from using local radio as navigation aids.
    2qALmFF.jpg

Attachments

• Zne0vGo.jpg
      Zne0vGo.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 202

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Calibration services are still offered for these instruments. I might send the Geiger counter off for calibration just for fun.

View attachment 156192

A Conelrad alarm, this was used by local ham operators to keep Russian bombers from using local radio as navigation aids.
    View attachment 156194
    That could be, just they have smaller, lighter ones they use around nuclear facilities. Now the friskers are about that big.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

View attachment 156192

View attachment 156194

You need to look up Conelrad and figure out what it was for.

Top Bottom