• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I know some of the big name oil companies are postponing large capital projects.

I know that impacts oilfield services growth but not sure how that impacts folks currently in the field.
    Target Sports

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    Slumberger announced that they will be laying off some 7000 employees worldwide. Baker Hughes is being bought by Halliburton. Certain aspects of the oilfield will stay busy. Some will work steady a few months. Like sunspots the oilfield goes in cycles. 12-18 months and it will be booming again.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Stinks for eveeryone here. All I can say is that I'm REALLY happy we didn't buy a house when we moved here. I'm looking at moving in the next 6 months. They did just increase my monthly rate by $200, but I'm not out half the $$ on an overpriced home.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Stinks for eveeryone here. All I can say is that I'm REALLY happy we didn't buy a house when we moved here. I'm looking at moving in the next 6 months. They did just increase my monthly rate by $200, but I'm not out half the $$ on an overpriced home.
    good on the house. Sorry bout the work

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Our company has postponed merit increases until further notice. A few layoffs, but most of those were seasonal and going to happen anyway. They postponed the raises to avoid layoffs.

But I'd wager Houston real estate takes a hit. The last big oil bust in Houston, you could buy homes for about 15 - 20 cents on the dollar. If you could show you had a job, they would approve your mortgage on the spot and close the same day. I knew one guy who bought 5. Cost him a bit in taxes and upkeep. But now he has a decent rental fleet with homes in decent (but now older) neighborhoods.

Fortunately, our only debt is our mortgage, and we're paying as hard as we can to get that paid off.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    I know of quite a few people laid off or on notice. May be unrelated St Lukes hospital just laid off 100+ here locally and supposedly thousands across the country.

^while house prices took a hit, it wasn't that bad, at least not in the decent parts of town. Other then foreclosures, I can't see a 100k Just selling fur even $20k other then slums

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Well the Saudi King is now burning in hell good riddance. The news I saw this morning said they Saudis weren't going to cut production anybody know anything else?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Well the Saudi King is now burning in hell good riddance. The news I saw this morning said they Saudis weren't going to cut production anybody know anything else?

his death sure put a spike in crude prices yesterday

abntxn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Well damn, I've had two of my old Soldiers telling me I need to look into this after retiring (April). They were talking about safety and recruiting though.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I thought crude is now going up? They're laying off anyway?

Going up? Yes.
    However, companies do things at 90.00 per barrel that they wont do at 50.00.
    Big blip. Slow recovery. I figure it'll be a couple of years before it's back to 2014 levels.

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    I thought crude is now going up? They're laying off anyway?
    Most plants are gearing up to start summer blends of fuel. Every time they switch there's a spike in price. But as stated, it will take 18-24 months for things to come back up to normal level. This, like the weather is cyclical.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Many of my friends are not being laid off but no more over time.

Better er than being without a job.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    No layoffs with my company, but there is a hiring freeze and customers are pushing projects out to wait and see.

Still manufacturing XTs and shipping equipment...I think that they are still building in anticipation for when things get a bit more normal and they can put the pedal to the metal again when they can justify it to their investors.

Top Bottom