• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    1,000yrds is old news. Spending big money on a scope to get there, in my opinion, is stupid. If Kyle said he was trying to get to 1760-2500yrds then my approach would be very different.

If your ever in West Texas, let me know and come shoot with us. Maybe I could learn something from ya.
    I agree - shooting 1000 yards doesn't need anything special - unless you're trying to get one shot hits at different distances. To me, that changes the game. Depending on the ballistics of the round you're shooting, your scope tracking can need to be spot on.
    DK Firearms

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I've been pretty happy with my SWFA- SS scope. It's not top tier ~$1500, but the glass is plenty good and it tracks well. I'm kinda surprised nobody mentioned their scopes.
    I have 2, 10x models. They are good short range scopes. But the glass is not clear enough for long range

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    1,000yrds is old news. Spending big money on a scope to get there, in my opinion, is stupid. If Kyle said he was trying to get to 1760-2500yrds then my approach would be very different.

If your ever in West Texas, let me know and come shoot with us. Maybe I could learn something from ya.

You don't have to spend $3k or more on a quality optic. There are many in the $1200 - $2000 range that will do everything you want.
    You can even find Closeout models under $1k at times. Not long ago, you could buy a Bushnell DMRII for $750, and it's a fantastic scope.

Something changed with Vortex. They made some good scopes the first couple years they were in business, but their quality has really fallen off the last few years. It seems that they make enough profit on their lower tier scopes that they can just give people new scopes when they break.
    That lifetime warranty is great, but how many times are you going to use it before you change brands?

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You don't have to spend $3k or more on a quality optic. There are many in the $1200 - $2000 range that will do everything you want.
    You can even find Closeout models under $1k at times. Not long ago, you could buy a Bushnell DMRII for $750, and it's a fantastic scope.

Something changed with Vortex. They made some good scopes the first couple years they were in business, but their quality has really fallen off the last few years. It seems that they make enough profit on their lower tier scopes that they can just give people new scopes when they break.
    That lifetime warranty is great, but how many times are you going to use it before you change brands?
    I was unaware of the Vortex QC issues. But I haven't had my ear to the ground in the LR world in a while.

My buddy runs that strike eagle and it's a really nice scope for the money. Clearest I've seen for the $$. It'll be the scope I put on my next sub 1,000yrd rifle.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And buying a Vortex product shows just how stupid you can be.
    Cheap POS optics, That are almost guaranteed to break.
    The Viper HD series is the only good scope that they make, and it's a boat anchor.

Yeah, mines just rattled to pieces sitting on top of a .50 cal.

Oops, nevermind. It’s held up great. Even did fine after moving it to multiple rifles and being dropped a couple times.

Troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Yeah, mines just rattled to pieces sitting on top of a .50 cal.

Oops, nevermind. It’s held up great. Even did fine after moving it to multiple rifles and being dropped a couple times.

Troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut some times! I just know of too many of them failing, and wouldn't waste my time or money on the brand.

Buy once, Cry once has been my motto on optics for a very long time.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I have 2, 10x models. They are good short range scopes. But the glass is not clear enough for long range
    I had one that wasn't clear. Parallax issue.
    They gave me a new one. It's rock solid and clear at all distances.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I agree - shooting 1000 yards doesn't need anything special - unless you're trying to get one shot hits at different distances. To me, that changes the game. Depending on the ballistics of the round you're shooting, your scope tracking can need to be spot on.
    That's what I mean and want

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I'm trying to talk momma into a 4k scope
    I'm trying precision 500 out to 1k

Go for it!
    But a $4k scope won't make you shoot better, and everyone will think your a snob!

Have you looked into long range precision .22lr? It’s pretty badass and won’t cost you an arm, leg or nut.

The only thing that sucks about spending a lot of money on a precision 22lr is you have no control over the ammo that you shoot.
    Don't tell the Voodoo guy's that it doesn't cost much. You can easily put $3k - $4k in a precision 22.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    A 22lr at 200 yards or better can be a real challenge. But the fundementals when you get it right go right over to centerfire at longer ranges.
    A Savage Precision MKii 22lr or an A22 HB with an Athlon Talos 4-14×40 FFP BTR scope will easily reach out to 300 yards or better. Mine both love CI Mini Mag HPs. Either set up for under $800.
    But like was pointed out, you are someone else's mercy on ammo.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Have you looked into long range precision .22lr? It’s pretty badass and won’t cost you an arm, leg or nut.

When I dallied with the thought of long range precision, that’s what I did. And with the right receiver, you can roll on over to 17HMR and learn everything about reading the wind. All in for less than $1000 for all NIB equipment (CZ455 target w/2 bbls, Vortex FFP, new trigger springs, bipod, shooting bags etc.).

Shooting 50 - 100 rds a day four or five days a week really teaches you a lot. And there’s lots of places to shoot that distance outdoors.

@Txhillbilly does being up a good point, which is ammo consistency and that’s a whole ‘nother ballgame and highly consistent centerfire production ammo can be have the same problems that can be mitigated when you roll your own. For the new shooter though, there’s enough options in match-grade 22LR that I don’t think it justifies ruling out the rimfire.

Lots of those choices, IMHO, come down to the rules of the game you decide to play. What’s acceptable performance for a 500yd whitetail shoot is entirely different than benchrest.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Ok momma put the hell naw on the 4k nonsense
    I get 1600 after the first of the year
    She called me crazy as hell some nonsense about bills and such

Top Bottom