• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tascofeldman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    texarkana,texas
    Lookin' @ older sxs's @ recent gun shows and I've a question. Could an older sxs with fixed chokes be fitted for screw in chokes. Would this devalue said sxs, what should I look for in brand and are there other considerations? What about Damasicus barrels, how should I pick a sxs for this purpose. Not real impressed with some of the "budget" priced O/U's or SXS's. A little help would be nice.
    Venture Surplus ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    PLEASE don't even try shootin' a damascus barrel - most will not stand up to the pressures of today's loads! You'd be pulling the trigger on a grenade...

As to fitting chokes - yeah, I'd be willin' to bet you can - someplace like Briley's over in Houston could give you a definitive answer along with pricing....but I doubt it'd be worth doin'. I shoot my Grandmother's 1897 12 gauge with full choke, and frankly have no issue w/hittin' the target - so a LOT of it is a question of practice, and finding the gun that fits ya.

Briley Manufacturing, shotgun choke manufacturer and gunsmithing

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    You could fit damascus barrels with sub caliber tubes. like a .410 or 20 gauge.
    410ultralite.jpg

tascofeldman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    texarkana,texas
    Not really interested in damasicus barreled shotguns, just seen a lot around @ gun shows. Wanting a gun that runs the gap from quail to turkey without breaking the budget yet gives me something special to enjoy. Finding a sxs with the right combo for upland bird would be fine but then I'd have to have another for turkey and yet another for the occasional duck. I found a nice 10gau in my price range and the guy told me to get it lined as suggested, could you imagine a day in the field lugging that thing around?

tascofeldman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    texarkana,texas
    Nothing wrong with an 870, nothing wrong with my 11-87 either. Just wanted something lighter, more fun. Blastin' away with an auto or pump or carefuly using those two shots. I've always liked a challenge, like layin' down the compound bow and pickin' up my recurve.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    There's no easy answer to your question. Theoretically yes, any SxS with enough barrel wall thickness and the appropriate outside diameter can be fitted with choke tubes. Most smiths will charge at least $100/barrel and after it's done there's no guarantee that each barrel will shoot to the same point of impact as it did before. Only you can decide if it's worth it. Baikal makes a nice SxS with factory tubes for under $500.

John Monroe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    A good stevens 311 would work well for you, I've bought a few dozen in my time and the only problem I ever ran into was bad firing pins/springs so I got in the habit of running a couple of fresh snap caps in them if I was serious in buying them. If it gives you nice clean indentions it should be good to go. Oh, you might want to talk to the seller about doing that beforehand. Dropping a couple of rounds into a shotgun and pulling the triggers is concidered rude by some. Most of the 311's have thick enough walls to handle standard choke tubes and those that don't can use Briley's thin wall tubes. I keep meaning to send the one I use for skeet in but I shoot pretty well with it as is and it's choked full/not quite as full.

Top Bottom