• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    I found a YHM Phantom 5.56 suppressor for $384 bucks online. I'm pretty sure that is a decent price but I come to you gurus for a thumbs up, thumbs down, as to if I'm getting stiffed or not. Also I'm curious who has the best transfer fees in the Austin area as I would have to go that route. Probably going to go Form 4 since I can't afford the trust right now.

Also anybody hear and good or bad on the YHM Phantom?

I'm pretty :ohnoes: about buying it. Excited and scared all rolled into one.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Probably going to go Form 4 since I can't afford the trust right now.
    You're gonna go with a form 4 whether you have a trust or not.

With a trust, you'd list the trust as the prospective owner. Since trusts aren't "alive", there is no requirement for fingerprints or CLEO signoff as there is if you list yourself as the prospective owner.

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    A silencer is one the last thing I'd buy impulsively.

Buying one is kinda like a marriage. Pick the wrong one and it's just sad to see what happens to folks and divorce is expensive.

....Good advice.

Also, Nalioth thanks for pointing that out. That is what I meant I just haven't quiet got the order of things/lingo down yet. Gonna look into it a little more, I've got a NFA dealer nearby and I wanna see what they say/if they can match or get close. I don't think it is used.

PaknSiG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Ft. Worth area
    That one is the standard Chrome Moly Steel without the Quick Disconnect, threaded only. MSRP from YHM is $490. If you are going to get a YHM Phantom I would get one that has the QD (MSRP $565) with it so you can get another QD and use it on another gun. The QD acts like a flash suppressor otherwise you will just have bare threads. There is a lot to think about when purchasing a suppressor so that you can get the most use out of it.

YHM has three different version of the 5.56 Phantom, Chrome Moly, Stainless Steel, and Titanium. Of cours prices go up with each one. If by chance you plan on getting a larger cal. gun (.308, 6.8 SPC, .30AR, etc.) in the future you could go with the 7.62 Phantom SS with a QD then buy a 5.56 QD for the one you have now and use it on it. The 7.62 Phantom will work on the 5.56 QD but the 5.56 Phantom will not work on the 7.62 QD. You will lose a little performance with the 7.62 on the 5.56 but you will be able to use it on both guns.

Just my thoughts as a person with 4 YHM suppressors.

TM

RickP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    far East Plano
    If by chance you plan on getting a larger cal. gun (.308, 6.8 SPC, .30AR, etc.) in the future you could go with the 7.62 Phantom SS with a QD then buy a 5.56 QD for the one you have now and use it on it. The 7.62 Phantom will work on the 5.56 QD but the 5.56 Phantom will not work on the 7.62 QD. You will lose a little performance with the 7.62 on the 5.56 but you will be able to use it on both guns.

TM

That's the route I went (but haven't had the chance to try it out yet).

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    That one is the standard Chrome Moly Steel without the Quick Disconnect, threaded only. MSRP from YHM is $490. If you are going to get a YHM Phantom I would get one that has the QD (MSRP $565) with it so you can get another QD and use it on another gun. The QD acts like a flash suppressor otherwise you will just have bare threads. There is a lot to think about when purchasing a suppressor so that you can get the most use out of it.

YHM has three different version of the 5.56 Phantom, Chrome Moly, Stainless Steel, and Titanium. Of cours prices go up with each one. If by chance you plan on getting a larger cal. gun (.308, 6.8 SPC, .30AR, etc.) in the future you could go with the 7.62 Phantom SS with a QD then buy a 5.56 QD for the one you have now and use it on it. The 7.62 Phantom will work on the 5.56 QD but the 5.56 Phantom will not work on the 7.62 QD. You will lose a little performance with the 7.62 on the 5.56 but you will be able to use it on both guns.

Just my thoughts as a person with 4 YHM suppressors.

TM

I would like to do that and ultimately that would be ideal. But I have heard some jibberjabber about 7.62 cans not lining up right on 5.56. Any merit to that? That would be pretty dope to thread my Savage and switch the cans back and forth. Isn't there a substantial kick in the pants as far as price goes for 7.62 cans though?

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    Bump for additional question. Does anybody have any experience putting a 5.56 or 7.62 can on an AR and then using something like a CMMG .22 conversion in your AR? How well would that work and would it cause feeding issues?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Bump for additional question. Does anybody have any experience putting a 5.56 or 7.62 can on an AR and then using something like a CMMG .22 conversion in your AR? How well would that work and would it cause feeding issues?
    The .22 would get the can real dirty and you can't take it apart for cleaning.

SiVisPacem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Austin ASAP
    I own 4 YHM cans, a .22 Mite, Cobra 9, Chrome-Moly 5.56 QD, and C-M 7.62 QD, and have worked selling YHM cans for a couple years in the past. They are a good product for a good price. They aren't the lightest, or quietest, cans on the market, but for their price, they are real tough to beat.

The can you are looking at is their most basic 5.56 can. It's kind of like the Camaro of the suppressor world. A Camaro is kind of sporty, but while it doesn't give the same performance as a Corvette or a Ferrari, it won't set you back anywhere near as much, either.

I would caution you that if you've got more than one 5.56 or 5.45 rifle, you might want to consider spending the extra money for the QD version. Once you get it, you're going to want to suppress everything. It's a lot easier to buy extra QD mounts and leave them on your other rifles than it is to keep removing flashhiders/comps/brakes, everytime you want to suppress something different. You will quickly find that cans are more addictive than heroin or crack (and probably more expensive a habit).

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Buy the time you tack on the transfer fee and shipping, it will not be a good deal. New Frontier Armory is where I picked up my Arsenal SGL31-86 and it was trouble free.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I'm going to be the voice of dissent on the QD vs threaded question.

Granted, my second can (waiting on the Form 3) is going to be QD, but only because the AAC can I bought only comes in QD.

I have a Silencerco .22Sparrow, and I've slowly made almost all my .22's threaded barrels. Each one has either a flash hider or thread protector that must be removed before I thread on the can. It takes about 90 seconds to remove the flash hider/thread protector and put the can on. And aside from the extra cost of a threaded barrel (which will likely be standard on any AR) I didn't have to pay for expensive QD mounts. My new AAC can is gonna run me close to $100 per gun just to mount them.

Top Bottom