• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    10 or 12 years ago the wife bought herself a Stoger at Carters Country. They sold her a syringe of grease too. The label has long since worn off, and the gun was gone within a month.
    I have used the lube on all our guns. Tiny amounts on the wear areas only. Well I have finally run that needle dry. Have no idea what the name was but world like to have some in my cleaning kit. So open to suggestions for some new gun grease. I like the syringe style but am not married to it. I clean with CLP and think that's good enough for most uses but still want a little extra. It was about the same color of axle grease and the container was white. Any info is appreciated.
    In the last century when I carried I was a huge fan of Remington Dri Lube but seldom see it around anymore.
    DK Firearms

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    10 or 12 years ago the wife bought herself a Stoger at Carters Country. They sold her a syringe of grease too. The label has long since worn off, and the gun was gone within a month.
    I have used the lube on all our guns. Tiny amounts on the wear areas only. Well I have finally run that needle dry. Have no idea what the name was but world like to have some in my cleaning kit. So open to suggestions for some new gun grease. I like the syringe style but am not married to it. I clean with CLP and think that's good enough for most uses but still want a little extra. It was about the same color of axle grease and the container was white. Any info is appreciated.
    In the last century when I carried I was a huge fan of Remington Dri Lube but seldom see it around anymore.
    Yeah, I clean most times with CLP, although I'm not sure what you were using, I use Mobile One synthetics grease, and then only lightly, that tube will probably last me close to forever.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Any decent synthetic NGLI 0 grease will serve ya fine. If you're close to Kaufman I can fill up your syringe.
    why an 0 and not a 1 or 2?
    A 2 would stay in place better

A grease is a soap thickener with oil in it.
    The thickener is a sponge of sorts that absorbs the lubricating oil and holds it in place to do the lubricating.
    Remember, greases were created to keep oil in places where it would normally run out or off of a surface.
    The oil in the grease is what does the lubricating and load carrying.
    I would say get a grease with an ISO 150-220 base oil and a lithium complex. You don't want or need MOS2,(moly) or graphite. The are simply not needed since there is no shock loading or EP going on.
    You shouln't have to pay more than $5 for a tube of high quality grease with a good base oil vis.
    If you want to spend more to make yourself feel better, you maybe can find Mobil 1 grease at a parts store.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

The thickener is a sponge of sorts that absorbs the lubricating oil and holds it in place to do the lubricating.
    Remember, greases were created to keep oil in places where it would normally run out or off of a surface.
    I would say get a grease with an ISO 150-220 base oil and a lithium complex. You don't want or need MOS2,(moly) or graphite. The are simply not needed since there is no shock loading or EP going on.
    You shouln't have to pay more than $5 for a tube of high quality grease with a good base oil vis.
    If you want to spend more to make yourself feel better, you maybe can find Mobil 1 grease at a parts store.
    Is Mobil One really that expensive when it may take a long time to use up a tube? That would hundreds of cleanings as much as I use.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Mobile is a town in Alabama.
    Mobil is a lubricant company. LOL

No, it's not that expensive. You can divide up a tube into several small containers and share with friends also.

I took a tube of PTFE based grease and put about 2 ounces into some small make up type glass jars I bought on Ebay.
    I give these to friends for slide and trigger grease.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I moved off of grease and switched to Ballistol for everything except for my M-1. And the only reason I stuck with grease for my M-1 is because it just feels wrong to not use it.

Everyone is going to have their favorite brand, the easiest is just pick a few and try them. That said, I have heard great things about both slide glide and Slip 2000 Extreme Weapons Grease.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

No, it's not that expensive. You can divide up a tube into several small containers and share with friends also.

I took a tube of PTFE based grease and put about 2 ounces into some small make up type glass jars I bought on Ebay.
    I didn't notice I did that, fixed it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

Grease Geek!

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

I've found that NGLI 2 grease can cause problems with a tightly fitted 1911 and light target loads. No such problem with theb 0 grease.

BTW, if you get some whale snot, aka LSA is a grease and not an oil. I've still got a couple quarts of LSA on hand.

Another good read is https://www.cherrybalmz.com/history-of-gun-lubricants-cfze

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Top Bottom