• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't think a bad guy would try to take my gun. I just think I'd be the first to get shot if bad stuff was going down. To eliminate resistance.

I'm certain no bad guys would try the take my gun until I was dead.
    I guess that thought is attributed to all the news of people OCing being killed and having their guns taken.
    DK Firearms

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I don't think a bad guy would try to take my gun. I just think I'd be the first to get shot if bad stuff was going down. To eliminate resistance.

I don’t think bad guys would likely seem to notice someone OC. I mean someone hard up enough to have robbery in public as their best option ain’t too sharp a tool.

If they WERE sharp enough to notice, they probably would take their endeavor elsewhere.

If their goal is just random terrorism and killing, I doubt they will pay attention ... as they are probably too emotionally fueled by the height of playing out their evil resentment on the human race to notice someone OC.

siboyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Rio Grande Valley
    I've had the license since the year it was available. So that gave me several years to work out my concealed carry options as far as clothing. I see no reason to change that now and I see no reason to give away the decided advantage of surprise. For me the benefit of Open-Carry (OC) is no longer having to worry about accidental exposure. I've only seen a handful of OC down here in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. They do get looks, but I've never seen any problems. My wife is a Customer Service Manager at a Walmart and she tells me that she has had several instances in which customers have come to her to tell her that someone is carrying a gun. She replies that they must have a license to do so and not to worry.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    "... no longer having to worry about accidental exposure"

This^. I prefer CC, but I hated IWB, too uncomfortable for me. After OC, I switched to OWB, carry all the time, and no worries.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    That's the thing, I CC most the time and OC at times. I'm not advocating that people who prefer CC and don't want to OC should OC. I'm just not seeing the problems that others that are advocating CCing are seeing, I believe mostly in their mind.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I don’t think bad guys would likely seem to notice someone OC. I mean someone hard up enough to have robbery in public as their best option ain’t too sharp a tool.

If they WERE sharp enough to notice, they probably would take their endeavor elsewhere.

If their goal is just random terrorism and killing, I doubt they will pay attention ... as they are probably too emotionally fueled by the height of playing out their evil resentment on the human race to notice someone OC.

You could be totally right. I just tend to over-analyze everything until I find the decision that I'm comfortable with.

OC is so new, I don't think the experiences that could happen, have happened. So the fact that I have not read about any OC guys have their guns taken after being shot in TX does not affect my decision. Its also possible it's happened but was not reported. The news pool on OC is pretty shallow.

Just like prior to CC, we had no idea about how CC would affect life in general. I remember hearing about a guy who shot a bad guy who was robbing a lady in a parking lot at a mall within the first year of CC. That honestly never crossed my mind as something that could happen. Just because there is not a news item related to my position on OC doesn't mean it wont happen.

BTW, I am in favor of OC, for those who are comfortable with it. I'm just not one who is.

CPTKILLER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gatesville, TX
    Jackson Jim.jpg
    I have with no issues although don't push your luck when there is a 30.07 sign on the business.

icecoldbeer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    I don’t oc for the attention I think it would draw. I also don’t want to broadcast how prepared I am for some idiot who might create a problem.

Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    "Activism" ?

No, I am no "activist", I hope and pray, but I am a dedicated supporter of our Constitution(s), and, of our wonderful culture.

Please tell me of YOUR experiences with "Open Carry" in Texas since it has been "legal" again.

I have wanted to "Open Carry" in Texas, but I don't wish to create legal problems for myself, or for anyone else.

I have held a Texas "CHL", or "CWP", or whatever it is now known as, for many years, and hold a lifetime permit from my native State. I am a 74 year-old retired UT Faculty Physician.

I am interested in YOUR experiences, bad, good, or otherwise; but not in stories of others' experiences.

Please tell me, and us all, what has happened when YOU "open carried" in Texas.

Thank you,

leVieux
    I don't open carry even with a TX LTC. CC at all times

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've had the license since the year it was available. So that gave me several years to work out my concealed carry options as far as clothing. I see no reason to change that now and I see no reason to give away the decided advantage of surprise. For me the benefit of Open-Carry (OC) is no longer having to worry about accidental exposure. I've only seen a handful of OC down here in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. They do get looks, but I've never seen any problems. My wife is a Customer Service Manager at a Walmart and she tells me that she has had several instances in which customers have come to her to tell her that someone is carrying a gun. She replies that they must have a license to do so and not to worry.

Neither "printing" or even accidental exposure of a firearm were ever violations of section 42.01 of the Penal Code (Disorderly Conduct) prior to OC (1 Jan 2016).

The wording has always been very clear..."(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly: (8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm."

Much like the myths surrounding OC (claiming it makes one "more of a target"), those who said the same about printing or accidental exposure could never provide one iota of hard evidence to where that was the case. No one was ever charged for either, despite claims that it could lead to an arrest.

By the way, your "decided advantage of surprise" also translates to increased time in drawing your weapon. It takes extra steps and time in situations where fractions of a second could make a significant difference. I have seen many conceal carriers who couldn't bring their weapon on target within 1.5 seconds (Google "Tueller Drill" to see the significance of that time).

Given the fact that the vast majority of conceal carriers have never actually trained by drawing their weapon and employing it on an advancing target leads to the their misconception that they would be able to do so under stressful situations.

Standing at a range, taking your time to aim and shoot, then being impressed by the accuracy of it all does not translate to the same results one would have in a true self-defense situation.

In fact, those who mock law enforcement for the high number of "misses" after a shootout only adds to the fact that most civilians have no concept of what stresses are in play for such a scenario.

So this "decided advantage of surprise" is negated by the numerous other factors working against an inexperienced, poorly trained individual in most self-defense situations. There is no great advantage of conceal carry other than it was the only way licensed individuals could carry a handgun in public prior to OC.

Top Bottom