• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG-SOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    DFW
    Spoke briefly with a gentleman the other day; he was wearing an NRA hat and I struck up a a conversation. He said he is a part time LEO - meaning I guess a volunteer.

He brought up open-carry and when I questioned him more he said a bill is coming up for vote and likely to pass based on the word he is getting.

Any other Texan's have any info or opinions?

Thx
    Guns International

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Sig, I was on the phone with the Senators and U.S. Senators office this morning. After lunch I visited with my areas Reps, and also Debra Riddles office.
    NO!!
    Nothing has been done , as of yet, to push Legislature.
    Im going to put a letter together in an effort to request Constitutional Gun Rights for Texas. Im not wasting my time with little amendments, I want Constitutional Law.
    I will be posting this letter in hope of others using it.
    McDonald Vs. Chicago has opened a new door for Constitutional law as it should be.
    I had an hour long conversation with John Cornyn's office this morning, and I was ensured that if Constitutional Law was put in front of him, he would sign it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Texas' Congress isn't in session right now.

Yeah, that guy doesn't know what he is talking about. When the legislature meets next year it is likely an OC bill will be introduced, but who knows if it will make it through committee and to the floor in time.

rjc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Austin
    Is this something we can turn into a "petition?" I'm sure we can get a ton of signatures on it to put before the Reps. Election time is the time to act.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, thast GlockTalk thread went south. Answer stays thge same though:

He does not know Jack **** about what he speaks.

Texas legislature is not in session, in fact we do not even know who the members will be when it convenes in 2011 until after the November 2010 election.

Thus there are no bills at all, much less any likely to pass. What a dumbass.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Legislature is not in session till Janurary.
    Take this to heart when I say this, But Texas Citizens are ALWAYS in session.
    Legislature woks for YOU, or at least thats what their suspose to do!
    Dont wait till they all go into session to voice your opinion, call, write, and speek out in favor or against what coserns you.
    Anytime you feel like an issue needs to be addressed, do it and dont wait!
    If you dont stay in constant contact, Legislature will do what they want and thats exactly what they have been doing for the longest time.
    You see where that go us dont ya?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Hummm

[SIZE=+1]To: Texas State Legislature and Texas Governor Rick Perry[/SIZE]
    We hold that all citizens who may lawfully purchase a handgun be allowed to carry openly in public in the State of Texas except for those places prohibited by law. We also call for state preemption of all handgun laws concerning open carry in Texas.

1. Every individual has the right and responsibility to defend their self against unjustified threats of death or serious bodily injury.

2. The Constitution of the United States guarantees the right of individuals to keep and bear arms.

3. Criminals are not deterred by rules, regulations, and laws forbidding the possession of weapons. A man bent on mass murder will not be stopped by a rule forbidding him to have a gun.

4. It is well known that the requirement to conceal a handgun for the purpose of protecting self, friends, and family can be difficult especially in Texas with our extreme heat since a person will usually have to wear a jacket to properly conceal a handgun and to avoid "printing." Printing is not an issue. I know LOTS of people who carry and none wear a jacket in our extreme heat. While it is sometimes "inconvenient" to conceal, it is not difficult. Be honest, and just say it is not convenient.

5. The requirement to conceal a handgun can make it difficult to draw the weapon should the life of the carrier or the life of someone else be in danger. "Can"? Of course it CAN. Practice with your carry rig. I have attended plenty of schools were we draw from concealment, and no one was hampered.

6. A criminal will not open carry a weapon because he does not want to draw attention to himself. Who says? If no one pays attention to people open carrying, why would a criminal not open carry? We believe that a citizen openly carrying a handgun lawfully will be a deterrent for crime. I don't know of any evidence for that.

7. Ten states including Arizona, Alaska, Idaho, Kentucky, Montana, New Mexico, South Dakota, Virginia, Vermont, and Wyoming all allow open carry of handguns without a license. Twelve states including Connecticut, Indiana, Iowa, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, and Tennessee allow open carry of handguns with a license. In fact, Texas is one of only SIX states in the entire United States that completely bans open carry of handguns. Texas does not completely ban the open carry of handguns.

8. In these states, Open carry is very common and it does not alarm law enforcement or other citizens. The why do I keep reading threads on forums about a person open carrying getting stopped, questioned, drawn down on, etc?

For the foregoing reasons, we residents of the State of Texas affirm and assert that all citizens who may lawfully purchase a handgun be allowed to carry openly in public in the State of Texas except for those places prohibited by law. We also call for state preemption of all handgun laws concerning open carry in Texas.

Sincerely,
    The Undersigned

If you want to open carry because that is your God Given right and just the way it ought to be, then make THAT your petition. Making up stuff does not make for a positive reception by our legislators.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    What's the point of all that? Never seen this before? Perhaps you could write a better one than they did, and pay the server fees.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    What's the point of all that? Never seen this before? Perhaps you could write a better one than they did, and pay the server fees.

We see this every two years. It has become a regular joke. It is a waste of time. 66588 signatures, 0 laws enacted. 66588 letters to each member of the Texas legislature, Open Carry passes same day.

You decide.

mtaylor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Montgomery, Texas
    Hummm

[SIZE=+1]To: Texas State Legislature and Texas Governor Rick Perry[/SIZE]
    We hold that all citizens who may lawfully purchase a handgun be allowed to carry openly in public in the State of Texas except for those places prohibited by law. We also call for state preemption of all handgun laws concerning open carry in Texas.

I'm just wondering. Why allow the law to limit your rights at all? That was the first step that got us to where we are today...

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'm just wondering. Why allow the law to limit your rights at all? That was the first step that got us to where we are today...

Because no legislator will vote for a bill that lets you carry anything, anywhere, anytime. But hey, go ahead and hold out for that, another 139 years will pass in no time.

Top Bottom