• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaoJones1066

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Weatherford, TX
    Just like the line of BS that CC would bring wild west shootouts in the streets, the idea of OC making you a target is fiction. In all of the other states that have OC, it doesn't happen.
    Texas SOT

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Interesting point. Can anyone recommend an OWB holster that rides high and will allow for untucked carry?

I know several people who carry full sized 1911's in a pancake holster with untucked fishing shirts. You'd never notice.

As for the OC thing, I doubt I ever would. I just wouldn't want to draw the attention. I also prefer sleeper fast cars. I guess I'm kinda unassuming when it boils down to it.

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    My 1911

mumu4egu.jpg

NorthTXMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    Interesting point. Can anyone recommend an OWB holster that rides high and will allow for untucked carry?

Depending on what you carry, there is the Mernickle PS6f which I have heard good reviews of. American Holster Company makes one that looks pretty decent. Tucker Gunleather HF1 also gets good reviews as well. But if you're a cheap bastard like me, and know how to sew leather, I just made my own "hybrid" holster that is .093 Kydex lined with leather inside and out to conceal the plastic cause I hate the look of Kydex to a certain extent. I think it has its place, but EDC just doesnt do it for me.

I will tell you though, that if you dont already have one, making the switch to OWB carry will require a decent gun belt. I had been using the cheap department store belts for the last couple of years of CCW, but with IWB that was a little bit easier to get away with. Once its on the outside of your belt and there is no friction from your body to help hold it in place, it will wreak havoc on a cheap belt. So I picked up the 5.11 Tactical Operator belt from Cabela's and have been thoroughly pleased with how well it performs.

CmdrHaggis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    McKinney, Collin Co
    When I lived in Virginia I would open carry all the time; supermarkets, malls, banks, Starbucks, restaurants, movie theaters. People, for the most part, do not notice (or choose to not care about) the gun. I lived in northern VA (Loudoun County) and the proximity to DC/MD was enough to get the occasional stare. Had lots of good conversation with folks on both sides of the gun rights debate. Lots of folks transplanted to that area from California, NY, MA, foreign countries, etc. Lots of opportunities to teach folks that a law-abiding citizen is no threat to anyone just because he/she is lawfully carrying a firearm. There can be some "bad" encounters with LE or the public, but OC is legal.

It is a lifestyle change to be sure. I was leery on my first outings as an open carry fellow. Soon it becomes second nature. I just focused more on my surroundings and made myself keenly aware of who was near me. I was in line at Starbucks one day with my wife. Head swiveling as we all (should) do. In comes two Leesburg PD officers. They saw me, looked down and saw my holstered Sig, and went right back to their conversation with a nod. It's no big deal. Bad guys don't advertise.

The right to open carry won't happen overnight. In VA the law does not prohibit OC, so it's 100% legal (certain restrictions still remain) for any law abiding citizen to do so. Here in Texas, a step in the right direction might be to have legislation which permits the holder of a valid Texas resident CHL to carry a holstered handgun in plain sight. Baby steps. The public will have a reaction, but education is our best friend. (I found myself behaving a bit more friendly, smiling a bit more to people. "See I'm a 'good guy'!"

Many folks don't like OC and would push to prevent such measures. I ask them the same question used in much of the 2A struggle, "what part of 'shall not be infringed' is not understood?" One's aversion to OC should not prevent another from lawfully doing so.

MWAG Response

xd.40

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    dallas tx
    Although I am all for oc, I would personally also opt to conceal carry (springfield xd sc .40). Is there anyone who is so against oc that they wouldn't want it at all? Or can we all agree that it is a good option to have just in case?

Techna

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Magnolia, Texas
    I doubt I would ever open carry, but not having to worry about accidently exposing my gun would be nice. I had my shirt ride up and leave my Glock 19 fully exposed while I was climbing in and out of the bed of my truck while fueling. It was not until I began to really consider why the guy at the pump (middle aged, upper middle class fella in and expensive new sedan with wife in the passenger seat) who seemed to be paying close attention to what I was doing, smiled and nodded hello that I noticed the gun was exposed. No scene was made and I'm assuming the guy though I was a LEO, but I felt like a douche for failing to meet the responsibility of making sure the gun stayed concealed.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    to answer the original question....: I'd carry the "FOR SALE" sign to my front lawn.....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What would I carry openly? Nothing.

This. To each his own I suppose but open carry is not all that is cracked up to be. I am currently living in an open carry state and actually do not see it commonly. Most folks that do open carry are just douchebags looking for a negative encounter with the po-po. Some will even strap go-pros to themselves hoping for just such the encounter.

I've never been one who likes to draw attention and nobody needs to know if I chose to pack a weapon.

Last edited:

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    where i am from. OC is quite normal, but opens you up for targeting by shady folk, it also eliminates any tactical advantage you may have in a situation.

OC is nice, the public doesnt really bat an eye where i am from, unless it's a stupid californian or someone from the NE.

Only had one negative experience OCing.

Wish TX had OC.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    where i am from. OC is quite normal, but opens you up for targeting by shady folk, it also eliminates any tactical advantage you may have in a situation.
    How many people were assaulted or robbed because they open carried? Not having to draw from concealment is a tactical advantage. Also, I think for most shady folk displaying a firearm is more often a deterrent than it is anything else.

Top Bottom