• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patchntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what is the tactical or legal advantage to open carry?

There seems to me no tactical advantage. Just wearing a khaki vest and tactical pants screams "shoot me first". Openly carrying a weapon just makes you the first target. And for the life of me, I don't see any legal advantage. I was told one version of the open carry bills does away with licensing and moves towards constitutional carry. What are the current provisions in the open carry bill?
    Guns International

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Can't decide if new troll or doesn't know how to search....
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422426076.774689.jpg

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    In short: If and when Texans "need" open carry it'll be too late to ask nicely.

My question is Why does TX feel the need to restrict folks from open carry? I lived in Wisconsin and currently in Oklahoma. These two states are more OC handgun friendly than TX and had no issues. Plenty of other states who respect the right to Open Carry Handguns and no issues there ether.

What makes Texans more dangerous they need laws restricting the right to keep and BEAR arms?

Last edited:

Patchntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do know how to search. The answer to my question is neither in the archives or answered by either of you. The questions was "Is there tactical or legal advantage to Open carry." I don't care if anyone thinks they "need" open carry or not.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I do know how to search. The answer to my question is neither in the archives or answered by either of you. The questions was "Is there tactical or legal advantage to Open carry." I don't care if anyone thinks they "need" open carry or not.

Tactical Advantage - Yes. An armed society is a polite society. Why do LEOs open carry if there are no advantages? Easier on the wardrobe and less stress about covering it up all the time is what I've personally found living\visiting in other states..

Legal Advantage - Could be if they allow OC without a permit. Legality advantage there would be that if you can legally own a gun you could carry it open or concealed.

A man or woman with a gun isn't a bad thing if they aren't doing bad things with it. Right now a good person OCing a handgun in public, in some cases in Texas, is a criminal. With OC laws they'd be innocent of any crime.

Political Advantage - Bonus here guns aren't as scary as most folks think. OC is a way to show a man or woman with a gun isn't automatically a bad person.

Last edited:

Patchntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Matefrio thank you for your reply. I find it interested that because I ask the question folks assume that I am against open carry.

"An armed society is a polite society" is a quote from Robert Heinlein. I have read everything he every wrote and agree with most of everything he said.

I honestly don't care one way or the other about OC. I have zero intention of getting behind the OC folks. But I wouldn't be one to stand in their way either.

What I would find helpful and and a legal advantage would to prevent business owners from restricting their employees from carrying at work. I work in an often dangerous environment and don't appreciate having to leave my weapon in my car. If someone threatens my life in a holdup or random shooting I would like to have the right to stop the threat. That would be a bill I could get behind.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    If you would point it out to me, please quote where I said that I 'want others to NOT have that right'. I don't see where I wrote that.
    For someone who was worried about "the risk of winding people up" you sure sound perty wound up yerself. All I did was simply ask you a question......loosen the strap Bigun, it'll be ok.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The OP seems to assume that OC is a path for felons to legally carry, but felons generally can't legally own guns so that's just silly. Aside from that, if the person is likely to start killing people they should still be in jail.

Everything about the post is off and shows the OP has already made his mind up about OC and views it in a negative light, those feelings aren't hidden well.

As to why OC, it doesn't matter why. Why have a 30 round mag? Why have an AR? Why have a semi auto pistol? Why have a scoped "sniper rifle"?

I support all gun rights, whether I plan to be involved in a particular activity or not. The Brady bunch doesn't draw a line at certain activities, they want all guns gone and all carry ended. I want the opposite.

So Patchntx, why are you not willing to support the rights of all gun owners? Why do you choose to sit on the sidelines in the fight to protect gun rights?Do you believe the Brady bunch will never come after the things you want?

Patchntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The OP doesn't assume that OC is a path for felons to legally carry. Someone I know believes that at least one of the bills has no provision for any sort of class, background check, or provisions to prevent someone who is not competent to have a gun from legally carrying one. I do not know if it is true or not. I haven't taken anytime to research it and is one of the reasons I brought it up.

You are correct in the OP has already made is mind up. You are incorrect about what. As stated, I don't care either way. I don't have any negative feelings about open carry. I do have negative feelings about all or nothing thinking.

I also never asked the question "why anyone wants OC". Although several posters have answered that question as if I did ask it. I don't care "why anyone wants OC". I assume they want it because they want it.

And I have to wonder why anyone would think that I sit on the sidelines because I don't support OC. I support gun ownership. I own 6 shotguns, 1 rifle, and 3 pistols and am getting my entire family training and getting them involved. I support the right to carry. I do not care if it is OC or CC mandated. I carry concealed and will even if open carry becomes an option. I do not want someone to know I am carrying until it is too late for them.

I do believe that I get to choose to stand somewhere between the two extremes just as you choose to stand with OC. My indifference to OC does not put me on the sidelines nor does it make me anti-gun ownership. OC just isn't important to me.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Tactical Advantage - Yes. An armed society is a polite society. Why do LEOs open carry if there are no advantages? Easier on the wardrobe and less stress about covering it up all the time is what I've personally found living\visiting in other states..

Legal Advantage - Could be if they allow OC without a permit. Legality advantage there would be that if you can legally own a gun you could carry it open or concealed.

A man or woman with a gun isn't a bad thing if they aren't doing bad things with it. Right now a good person OCing a handgun in public, in some cases in Texas, is a criminal. With OC laws they'd be innocent of any crime.

Political Advantage - Bonus here guns aren't as scary as most folks think. OC is a way to show a man or woman with a gun isn't automatically a bad person.

The tactical advantage can be refuted. Joe Citizen does not and should not insert himself into dangerous situations like LEOs must.,, If it was a tactical advantage, off duty LEOs would OC.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    At the risk of winding people up

LOL ... but you knew it would happen.

I attended a social function sponsored by the firm where my wife worked back in the day.
    It was mostly stuffy, upper class socialites and I (we) didn't fit in at all.

There was a group of about a dozen or so cacklers in a group discussing politics of the day, when one lady took pity and asked what I thought about women in the workforce.

No one really cared about my opinion, so I responded:
    "Men have made two fundamental mistakes over time ... allowing women to drive and to vote."

Do I believe that? Doe it matter?
    If it made those snobs looks outside their own little world, expand their belief base, understand what makes "the other side tick" then true change can occur.

Of course I knew it wouldn't happen and it didn't. They went along the same path they always took and really not understanding (or caring) about anyone but themselves. Sad really.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    LOL ... but you knew it would happen.

I attended a social function sponsored by the firm where my wife worked back in the day.
    It was mostly stuffy, upper class socialites and I (we) didn't fit in at all.

There was a group of about a dozen or so cacklers in a group discussing politics of the day, when one lady took pity and asked what I thought about women in the workforce.

No one really cared about my opinion, so I responded:
    "Men have made two fundamental mistakes over time ... allowing women to drive and to vote."

Do I believe that? Doe it matter?
    If it made those snobs looks outside their own little world, expand their belief base, understand what makes "the other side tick" then true change can occur.

Of course I knew it wouldn't happen and it didn't. They went along the same path they always took and really not understanding (or caring) about anyone but themselves. Sad really.

But you are different and enlightened, right?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    At the risk of winding people up, why does anyone want open carry?

So what is the tactical or legal advantage to open carry?

I'll answer the two questions.

1) Because it's comfortable and I feel like it.

2) Tactical and legal advantages are more predicated on your choices in a situation (based on situational awareness and knowledge of the law) than where your holster sits.

This conversation has been beaten to death in previous threads. Maybe unintended, but the tone of your post came off as condescending and not really a true question. If that wasn't your intent you should pause to take more time considering your words before posting in the future. That is - if you want thoughtful responses.

Top Bottom