• ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    ^ At minimum.

The biggest issue is the logistics of hauling all those years worth of equipment back out in in a year or two. Being geographically landlocked with MadMax-like challenges of traveling overland carrying valuables isn't worth it. They don't want to pay over half the value just to get it home.

Same things they did in WWII.

But hey, it's not like it is their money. Why should they care about any return? I paid for it. I want my MRAP and a 50cal.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    ^ At minimum.

The biggest issue is the logistics of hauling all those years worth of equipment back out in in a year or two. Being geographically landlocked with MadMax-like challenges of traveling overland carrying valuables isn't worth it. They don't want to pay over half the value just to get it home.

Same things they did in WWII.

But hey, it's not like it is their money. Why should they care about any return? I paid for it. I want my MRAP and a 50cal.
    ever see the old videos of them pushing tanks, jeeps, and planes off the decks of ships... makes ya want to cry. buddy is now living in Saipan and sent me a bunch of cool pics of tanks under water and old shells that have been washing up since the rain season began.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Nothing new.

Let's make 'em an offer.
    Freighter full of surplus fighting vehicles pulling into port of Houston with our names on it!
    No red flags there. Huh?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Might as well - privatize! Govt is inefficient at everything. Port of Corpus Christi would actually be a little more convenient for my offload. TGT group buy?? ;)

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    My supervisor in Portugal told me he was there when EVERY appliance in the dorms were upgraded. Fridges, sinks, toilets, washing machines, etc... All old stuff, all of which still worked, was taken to a local scrap yard, buried in a giant hole, ran over several times with a giant bulldozer, then buried. This is in a country where a huge portion of the population is poor and on welfare; even their middle class lives like our lower class.

Could have given it away. Could have auctioned it. Nope; the budget won't be as big if they offset costs that way. If I were the I would have reported the Commander for FWA.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Depends on the vehicle. Most military only vehicles aren't sold to the public due to safety standards. I've never heard of mraps or strykers being sold but if you look hard enough you can find up armored humvees, cucv, and deuce and a halfs which can be bough and registered.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Whats its called on FTHood....the DMSO yard. If you bid high enough. Ive seen everything from huges crates with brand new BDUs, dental chairs, to jet engines.

On vehicles, I read something that if the vehicle isn't "Road certified". They will only sell it if the suspension is crushed. Which doesn't explain people buying the old jeeps before hummers. They were never mass produced for the public.(Unlike hummer). Youre not suppose to be able to buy certain stuff. Thats BS. Guess the bids were high, cuz I have seen some neat stuff come off Ft Hood.

Oh and the hummers Ive seen at the yard. Wow, basic traning, been beat on every rock from here to Russia, doesn't even sit level on all 4 tires, junk. They still wanted 11grand. Which sounds like a good price. Untill you walk up on the hummer and see just how ragged she is. And that the GM diesel was no longer there. Or the 400 turbo tranny either. 4 tires and a hull. 11 grand

The gun range in Las Vegas, those ol boys not only got a chance to get a hummer(nice too, still in desert paint), and a 5ton. The 5ton, she also was still in desert paint. Even the air pipe on the hubs, were still intact. The only "GI private" damage was the exhaust stack. Even still had the military spare. Brand new tire. They'd drive both down the strip, advertising, "Shoot a machine gun".

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    There is no prohibition on buying surplus military vehicles. The US just does not sell many to civilians. However if you have the bucks, foreign sources will sell you stuff. Hate to say it, but it's easier to get British APCs, tanks, etc. that stuff from here.

Check the internet, or if in Houston go check out the National United States Armed Forces Museum and talk to those folks. They will tell you how to buy these things, as all their equipment is privately held.

(Got to ride in their M-114 APC once, that dang thing is awesome. Like driving a sports car!)

A little research, some effort and a lot of money and you can buy and drive your very own Russian tank if you want.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Without getting off track, is there a legal way to purchase and drive them legally here ?

Best hope is to find a US made vehicle sold to a foreign government (not given as part of an aid package) buy it and have it shipped over. Or just buy foreign stuff, Russian tanks are relatively cheap and so are a lot of the British stuff.

Military Vehicles on Milweb: the marketplace for jeeps, tanks, landrovers, artillery

How would a Hellcat tank work for you? Bargain price of $319,000 includes shipping in the US!!! Act fast!
    Military vehicles, militaria and military classifieds

a.jpg

Buy this little jewel and you can be just like the Will Haden on 'Sons of Guns', he has a Ferret. (requires shipping from UK)
    http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=67219&cat=1

67219.jpg

Sad news is you can probably buy and have delivered to your doorstep something like this a lot faster than a new suppressor.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom