• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just bought a stainless Rossi 4" .38 SPL today (having a badge to the gun show rocks - good deals, early deals!). The rear sight is a micrometer-style and the front has a bright orange high-visibility insert in the ramp. It's in very good shape and has had trigger work done to it. The trigger is very smooth, better than my Smith (I better smooth that thing...), and I'm pretty happy with it. Got a somewhat cheap holster with it (that'll get dealt with eventually) a box of .38 (including 3 rounds +p which the barrel doesn't say it's rated for and I gave away) and a speed loader.

Finish is good, I'd call it 90% just to be conservative, lock-up is pretty tight with no end shake and very little gap between the cylinder and forcing cone.

How much is a good price for this (even though I already bought it)? And what do you think about Rossi in general?

ETA: Oh, and if Rossi does serial numbers the way S&W does (they aught to - the rest of the gun seems to be S&W), it's a model MB51. Yeah.. read that wrong. It's an M851 or Model 851. 8... B... whatever. :p
    Hurley's Gold

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks. Looks like I paid a little on the high side, but I got enough "extras" with it to make up for it IMO.

I'm happy with the purchase, gave it a real good cleaning today and I should get a chance to shoot it next week.

randy4bb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Liberty
    Rossi 851

hey just another quiick note; you need to double check but my "book" has the 851 as being +P ; I wouldn't go there unless I was real sure or it was printed on gun; Just FYI also previously known as model 85 stainless
    randy

PS. had a table there last time; may be the worlds largest gun show???? seemed like it to a country boy anyway

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It only says .38 Special, no +p specified which makes me nervous, but I think it'd probably be Ok. I know the previous owner shot some through it without any ill effect, but if I do I'll be very careful.

It's sitting on my desk right now with a cylinder full of Gold Dots. I love Texas. I couldn't shake someone's hand, give him money and walk away with a handgun in CA. Not legally anyway...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This one has good time on it. The action job did a hell of a number lightening and smoothing the trigger. The trigger is honestly way better than on my Smith 32-1, though that one hasn't had any work on it and is still a pretty low-round gun - it still had bluing in the barrel when I bought it. Probably still does, though I haven't looked real close lately.

Shriker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    I would never own a Rossi, personally.

Seen way too many fire out of time, and their rifles are inaccurate junk.

Just my opinion.

What he said....I have even seen one break a cylinder. DONT fire +P through it. I will say I have seen some that are decent though....hit or miss.....

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I've owned a Rossi 44 spl snubbie for years and other than the front blade sight was machined a little off its been a great little gun. I have run some very hot loads in it and to date nary a problem.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm actually not too concerned with the +p now. I read the manual and it says it's good for any SAAMI-spec ammo. Plus, it's stainless, which is usually a little stronger.

As for the sights, mine are adjustable. :D

They're owned by Taurus, and I know people talk crap about their product, too, but one of their revolvers has been owned by a family member for about two decades now with zero issues.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I would never own a Rossi, personally.

Seen way too many fire out of time, and their rifles are inaccurate junk.

Just my opinion.

I like my Rossi M92 rifles. I wouldn't classify them as high quality. especially with things like plastic followers. They are a ton of fun, and accurate enough for me up to 75 yards. Haven't pushed them past that.

For $500, you can't go too wrong. Don't know about their handguns.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I like my Rossi M92 rifles. I wouldn't classify them as high quality. especially with things like plastic followers. They are a ton of fun, and accurate enough for me up to 75 yards. Haven't pushed them past that.

For $500, you can't go too wrong. Don't know about their handguns.

For $500 I will spend another $75 and buy a Remington or Savage that will shoot 1/2 the group size, faster, and more reliably.

If I wanted a rifle to hammer away on I'll buy a Mosin, K31, K98, etc. and blast away until my shoulder resembles dog food.

Top Bottom