Opinions on Blackhawk/Knoxx shotgun stock

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by cajuntec, Nov 9, 2009.

1. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    I have plenty of 12 gauge shotguns (hunting) - mostly Brownings. Recently, I was offered a Remington 870 Express Mag in a trade for an H&R single shot rifle. Now I have MORE 12 gauge shotguns.

But I got to thinking - I don't have a designated home defense shotgun. Then I saw this Blackhawk / Knoxx recoil reducing stock, and I got to thinking about converting this "extra" shotgun into a home defense weapon.

Anyone have any opinions on it? Do you have to hold your shotgun differently so that the recoil mechanisms don't cause the weapon to smack you in the face? I'm trying to get a better idea of how it works exactly. I've seen pics and cutaways, but it doesn't really show how the gun moves.

All the best,
    Glenn

2. Jeff-Tex

Jeff-Tex Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
  3. randmplumbingllc

randmplumbingllc Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I LOVE mine. It is the specops one that I have on a Remington 870 Marine Magnum.

The stock is like an ar style stock, IMO. Liken it to shootong an ar-10, .308, IMO. Can't really feel the recoil.

It is more of a "push", as opposed to a "slam" IMO. Friend shot it and it smacked him in the face tho. He doesn't like it, but I do.

4. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I had the chance to try a Specops on a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel. It was hard to tell I was shooting slugs! Recoil was mild, though you still get full energy. Instead of a kick, you get a push that is noticeably smoother and lasts noticeably longer.

IMO they work great and I wouldn't hesitate to get one, just remember that if you mount optics, the shotgun will be moving an inch or two back at your face under recoil.

5. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So the stock has two pieces one that is stationary on your shoulder and another that is connected to the receiver, and when you fire the part that is connected to the receiver slides back into the stock that is stationary against your shoulder and the recoil is absorbed in the process by a spring or a gas piston? Is that about how these work?

6. Jeff-Tex

Jeff-Tex Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    There are actually 2 recoil springs. One between the receiver and the presentation grip, the 2nd is in the stock. It takes recoil from your hand and your shoulder simultaneously. I have the specops and love it.

Attached Files:

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Cool!

8. IronFixXxeR

IronFixXxeR New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I have the Blackhawk Comp Stock for my Mossberg 500. It is slightly different than the Spec Ops stock as it does not have a pistol grip and only one spring.

[​IMG]

They say it does not reduce the recoil as much as the Spec Ops but still helps.

9. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Comp stock would be good for shooting clays or hunting. The pistol grip stock would be good for a deer gun or tactical apps.

I love me a pistol grip on a shotgun for tactical-style shooting.

10. Warrior Judge

Warrior Judge New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    This is a bit off topic, but I prefer the Mesa Tactical Enidine recoil reducing system. I have it on two of my 870s and I think it works great. Enidine claims a 70 reduction in felt recoil, and from my experience shooting 870s with this system, I think that is about right. I think it is a great system.

Just my 2 cents.

WJ