• ...and so much more!
  • Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Hello all -

I'm in Austin and was wondering about The Original Fort Worth Gun Show. My wife will be out of town the weekend of Aug 27 and I thought I might take the opportunity for a day trip to check out something other than a Saxet/Texas show that we get here. How is TOFWGS? Is it worth the drive?
    Target Sports

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The same outfit has hosted two shows in San Antonio this year ("The Original San Antonio Gun Show"), and to be honest they are noticeably better than the SAXET show and far better than the crap Texas Gun Shows put on!

Actually, this past show two of the promoters showed up at our TGT pre-show breakfast and not only paid for our meals but also gave us free passes to the show. In return they did ask a lot of questions on our opinions of their show, which we were more than happy to answer. However, I honestly don't think their intent was to collect info, I believe they were just grateful that we were trying to raise awareness of their shows and wanted to show their gratitude. We met more of the promoters at the show (to include the husband-wife team that own the company) and all were very friendly.

The next one in SA is mid-September, if you can hold off a month you'd save a lot of driving and go to that one. I'll try and start a thread a few weeks prior, but I've got a lot of travel coming up for work and might not get to it.

Also, we have a SAXET show the first weekend of every month here in SA, which isn't a bad drive from Austin (about an hour, depending on where you are and how fast you drive). Check out their web site for info.

Cheers! M2

jethrodull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I went to one in FW a couple months ago looking to sell a rifle. Had it in a case and a couple of suggestions to take it out and carry it open so folks could see what I had. Ended up selling it for a decent price to one of the vendors. Probably always feel you could get more for it than you did, but I was happy. So many vendors and such a large selection of stuff. Haven't been to others to compare, but was impressed with this one.
    J

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'll head up there next weekend for the show. As I mentioned, wife and daughter will be out of town so it's a rare opportunity to visit a show at my leisure, with no time pressures to get back home for honey-do's. Plus, I haven't been to Fort Worth in a long time and I wouldn't mind seeing what it's like these days.

majormadmax, I know exactly what you mean about the Texas show. Horrible. Here in Austin they insist on holding it the same weekends as Saxet, which is ridiculous. Saxet is nothing special, but it's light years ahead of the Texas show. At least if they were on different weekends, Texas might be able to attract more vendors and visitors.

Are there any local gun shops in Fort Worth that are worth checking out while I'm there? Isn't Cheaper Than Dirt based there? I've heard mixed things about the store.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The OFWGS is the best of the shows that rotate through the Will Rogers. I've found some good deals there even on new guns from dealers. Like any guns show, you need to shop it.

Parking used to be free, but about a year ago, the city decided it needed the income for up keep of the Cultural Arts District, so it's $3 now, unless you park 3/4 mile away, which is no fun in this heat. You can go to their web site and download a coupon for $1 off admission.

Then don't forget to go to Fred's for a greasy burger.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Dash- If you're gona come this far, ya maight as well stop by CTD - it's up on the north side. I haven't been to the one in FW but if you're in the need for ammo, it'd probably be worth the stop - sales tax but at least no expensive shipping charges (which is a deal killer for a lot of the cheap ammo prices you find on the Internet). I'd look over the online version of CTD and kinda decide what ammo you're after so you can recognize what's their best pricing. (Just my two cents...your mileage may vary...expecially if you haul a bunch of heavy ammo back down south!)

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    On CTD. There are two businesses. The retail store and the internet store. It's kind of confusing, but the retail store is more expensive than the internet store. But the internet store will call is right in the middle of the retail store.... sooo go there, look at the catalog they have on the counter, ask if it's in stock and they go to the back and get it. Ammo at the retail store is rather high, except some of the surplus stuff.

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    I just got on their web site and they are having free parking this weekend.All you have to do is present your parking ticket when you buy your ticketmand they will give you a refund when you buy a gunshow ticket.Guees where I will be saturday?whoohoo

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    i wouldn't bother with going,the last several times we went dealers were rude and there were almost no deals. its not worth it anymore at all imho

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    Well,I went yesterday but it was a waste of time and money.The prices were way too high.They were ridiculess on their prices.I won't be going again. sj

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I hate to hear it. All we get in Abilene is the "Texas gun and knife show". More of a flea market with some overpriced guns thrown in.
    I'm hoping for a 6 month project in New Braunfels starting in January. I hope Austin or San Antonio are an improvement. At least I can go to Buda :)

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I didn't go to this one, but I try to get to at least one or two of the OFWGS a year. I hear what you are all saying about high prices and all. However, I've bought a few guns there that were real deals... New ones from dealer's booths. You just need to shop, and sometimes ,,make them an offer. I bought an HK P2000 .40 which in most places retails for $750+, for $625 plus tax. After a year or so I sold that gun for $675, and bought a P2000 9m for $625 from the same vendor. Plus there's the jerky and the cool jewelery!

I think going is fun, even if you don't buy. Walk around for a while, then go down town and have a few cool ones...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You can't blame the show promoters for the vendor prices, but you can show your dislike for them by not handing over any money. Maybe then they will get a clue.

We get the same problems down here in SA, some dealers/sellers have a high regard for their product and that's what I do. There is also one particular vendor that has big 'Buyers Can Touch, Lookers Can Look' signs on their table. Personally, I think that is an assholish attitude and I don't even look at their products. It's a frigging gun show, for Pete's sake; people are there to look, touch and feel weapons!

Like NavyGuy, we usually go just to look and socialize. I am usually broke anyhow and unless I see something that really tickles my fancy I normally walk out with just some accessories (bayonets, magazines, stuff like that) when I can find decent deals. I don't mind paying a little more if it is to someone who I either know or someone who doesn't mind bartering. I do consider these shows to be more like a market where bargaining and negotiations are the norm. Some sellers take offense to that, but if they price they put out is the price they want, then all they have to do is politely inform me that and I will decide accordingly. I have also found some vendors expect to haggle, so even when I see a ridiculously high price on something I am interested in I will always throw and offer out and see how they respond. On some occasions it will lead to a decent price, and if we can't come to an agreeable number than I thank them for their time and walk on. I believe in being civil as long as I am treated likewise.

I am curious as to what people thought about the vendor reimbursing the price of parking for the show, I thought that was a generous offer and as I have said in other threads I have been quite impressed by the folks that host the Original Ft Worth Gun Show (they also do so with the Original San Antonio Gun Show that recently started down here). They are very attuned to trying to hold the best show possible, and if anyone has ever dealt with the logistics of such an event they know it's not easy. We had breakfast with a few of them at the last SA show, and talked with more of the promoters at the show. They are a great bunch and I hope other such promoters as SAXET and especially Texas Gun Shows pay attention. It's nice to know someone is trying to improve things for the gun community here, and they deserve our support as otherwise good shows will be a thing of the past. Trust me, I've seen it happen at several locations; and we don't want it to happen here...

Cheers! M2

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    So Dash Riprock (orig poster),
    Do you go? If so, what did you think about it?

Unfortunately, the hurricane in the northeast forced my wife to cancel her travel plans so I didn't have the weekend to myself like I had planned. Hate that I missed it but I'm going to try to catch the San Antonio show in three weeks.

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    I go to the FortWorth gun show every chance I get.
    Some dealers are willing to negotiate on the prices - some aren't.
    Deals can be had - but sometimes items are over priced.

Do your research on what you want and what you like before you go so you don't risk being over charged for that "gotta have" item.
    Take a note pad to get ideas for what you want, need or gotta have later.
    Don't walk in with any preconceived expectations. Enjoy the experince.
    Talk with people - joke with the dealers - take every brochure and business card available.
    And remember - the great thing about gun shows is that 2-4-6 weeks later there will be another gun show and it may be the same one...
    It's a SHOW - a business expo - have fun with it...
    And if you don't see what you like or don't like the prices - there's nothing wrong with supporting your local Mom-n-Pop gun shop by purchasing there...

n5wd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Foat Wuth
    Well, for what it's worth, I did go to the show, and enjoyed it. Managed to find a 9mm Walther PPS at $50 discount from what Bud's or Grab-a-Gun had. Factor in the $50 rebate, and the tax, and I still came out about $25 ahead of Bud's price, not including the transfer fee. So for those that are complaining about the prices - I'd say, it depends.

The "free" parking was nice - a lot closer than ending up four or five blocks away and walking in the heat. Only got barrel-swept once (that I'm aware of), and she immediately apologized. The place was very crowded (Saturday 2-5pm) and though I wasn't feeling great, it was still a good afternoon.

Met some interesting people, including a dude who was at the same base at the same time when I was in Vietnam. Had some anonymously shared experiences, but had never run into each other. Small world.

I'll be back at the next one, if schedule permits.

Top Bottom