• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tkvan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Can a person under 21 go to a shooting range and shoot a rifle or a pistol? I know a person under 21 can't own a pistol but can they shoot at a shooting range?

I am over 21 and would like to learn to shoot, would I be able to take someone under 21 with me to a shooting range and we both could practice? I do not own a gun, are guns provided at some ranges?

Thanks for any info.
    Military Camp

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    There are a few threads going now discussing the legalities and age.

To skip covering all the laws again, just to answer your question, yes, someone under 21 (18+) can shoot. Yes they can own a hand or long gun. There are some restrictions, but for sake of the question I'll stop there.

Some ranges do rent guns. You need to call first thought. I don't know, but I'm guessing that is someone is under 21, since they can't buy a hand gun from a dealer and they can't get their CHL, the range will not rent to them.

You being over 21 shouldn't have any problem renting. Call first.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Can a person under 21 go to a shooting range and shoot a rifle or a pistol? I know a person under 21 can't own a pistol but can they shoot at a shooting range?

I am over 21 and would like to learn to shoot, would I be able to take someone under 21 with me to a shooting range and we both could practice? I do not own a gun, are guns provided at some ranges?

Thanks for any info.

Texas laws do not really address ownership. They address possession and carrying. Federal laws also address possession and "transferring" a firearm.

A person under 21 can certainly possess a pistol, they just cannot have one transferred to them (sold to them) from a FEDERALLY licensed dealer.

Top Bottom