options for a person under 21?

tkvan

Dec 31, 2008
Can a person under 21 go to a shooting range and shoot a rifle or a pistol? I know a person under 21 can't own a pistol but can they shoot at a shooting range?

I am over 21 and would like to learn to shoot, would I be able to take someone under 21 with me to a shooting range and we both could practice? I do not own a gun, are guns provided at some ranges?

Thanks for any info.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
There are a few threads going now discussing the legalities and age.

To skip covering all the laws again, just to answer your question, yes, someone under 21 (18+) can shoot. Yes they can own a hand or long gun. There are some restrictions, but for sake of the question I'll stop there.

Some ranges do rent guns. You need to call first thought. I don't know, but I'm guessing that is someone is under 21, since they can't buy a hand gun from a dealer and they can't get their CHL, the range will not rent to them.

You being over 21 shouldn't have any problem renting. Call first.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Can a person under 21 go to a shooting range and shoot a rifle or a pistol? I know a person under 21 can't own a pistol but can they shoot at a shooting range?

I am over 21 and would like to learn to shoot, would I be able to take someone under 21 with me to a shooting range and we both could practice? I do not own a gun, are guns provided at some ranges?

Thanks for any info.
Texas laws do not really address ownership. They address possession and carrying. Federal laws also address possession and "transferring" a firearm.

A person under 21 can certainly possess a pistol, they just cannot have one transferred to them (sold to them) from a FEDERALLY licensed dealer.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member