• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • holbrla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Consider a normal, minor traffic stop (a rolling stop, a few mph over the speed limit, a missing light, etc) - when an out of state LEO runs my Texas license, is he likely to be alerted to my Texas CHL? - I assume in Texas, LEO's will be alerted to my Texas CHL, but I wonder if the same is true out of state -

In Texas I have no problem notifying a LEO of my Texas CHL - they have got to be used to it and probably aren't going to be terribly nervous over the issue -

But some other states are not as likely to be as comfortable with a CHL holder traffic stop - if my firearms are locked and stored separately from my stored and locked ammunition, then I wonder the wisdom of increasing the tension by mentioning my CHL -

'Everyone knows everyone in Texas carries a firearm' - in fact, having just having Texas license plates could even be an alert to an out of state LEO to check for firearms - and if a Texas CHL shows up with with a Texas D/L, an out of state LEO could get real nervous -

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Larry
    Target Sports

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Consider a normal, minor traffic stop (a rolling stop, a few mph over the speed limit, a missing light, etc) - when an out of state LEO runs my Texas license, is he likely to be alerted to my Texas CHL? - I assume in Texas, LEO's will be alerted to my Texas CHL, but I wonder if the same is true out of state -

In Texas I have no problem notifying a LEO of my Texas CHL - they have got to be used to it and probably aren't going to be terribly nervous over the issue -

But some other states are not as likely to be as comfortable with a CHL holder traffic stop - if my firearms are locked and stored separately from my stored and locked ammunition, then I wonder the wisdom of increasing the tension by mentioning my CHL -

'Everyone knows everyone in Texas carries a firearm' - in fact, having just having Texas license plates could even be an alert to an out of state LEO to check for firearms - and if a Texas CHL shows up with with a Texas D/L, an out of state LEO could get real nervous -

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Larry

I don't believe other states have access to the Texas DPS database for LTC/CHL holders. That being said, if a state has reciprocity with Texas, the police in state should be used to people carrying in their vehicle. But you better be sure of the reciprocity/laws in the state you are visiting before you go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    As a Texas LEO yes, when I conduct a traffic stop and I run someone's license I am automatically alerted if they are the holder of a Texas CHL. Then again this is Texas, that is normal. And in the neighborhood I work in, it is the best way to get out of a ticket. At least when I am doing the stop.

I honestly doubt out of state LEO's will have access to that same info. Then again it is good courtesy to let us know ahead of time.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Reciprocity between states. Some states are "must inform", others are not. In those states that are 'must inform' you have no choice, the law has removed that decision from you. Thus, when you travel in those states, you had better be informed. The premise behind your question applies to those states that are not 'must inform' states. If you travel extensively, you may find an App called, "CCW" to be worthwhile. I use it and they're very good about keeping it updated with current state laws.
    Concerning your original question, I've always thought I'd disclose my Texas LTC status. I'm sure some others here, may disagree with that approach. I've been told, that information isn't available to out-of-state LEOS.... but with computerized data bases being what they are nowadays, I suspect the LTC info is there.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    - when an out of state LEO runs my Texas license, is he likely to be alerted to my Texas CHL?
    Edit (I initially said yes to oos LEO knowing) but before I set that answer 100%...I'll double chk. I've only looked from TXs end.

And in TX, yes an LEO is given the LTC hit.

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    As a Texas LEO yes, when I conduct a traffic stop and I run someone's license I am automatically alerted if they are the holder of a Texas CHL. Then again this is Texas, that is normal. And in the neighborhood I work in, it is the best way to get out of a ticket. At least when I am doing the stop.

I honestly doubt out of state LEO's will have access to that same info. Then again it is good courtesy to let us know ahead of time.

:cool: Thank you, even though I'm rarely in DFW. I've been summons to a pow-wow 5 or 6 times since moving to the sticks and only once in a very tiny town by a very young cop did I get a love letter. I've always sworn it was not only my good attitude but having a CHL too that the stop usually ended in a simple discussion.

cwo4uscgret

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    near the Alamo
    http://concealednation.org/2015/07/...led-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

This link gives each individual state's requirements about declaring a concealed hand gun; as a retired federal LEO who carries under LEOSA (with a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement issued ID) I think I have a moral duty to let the officer know (with both of my hands gripping the steering wheel) I am carrying a concealed handgun. I'm good, under federal law to carry in any state, including NY and IL, but I'd rather let that lone Ohio State trooper know before he sees it when I'm reaching for the glove box!

Call me out on this; but even I feel the law says no requirement to declare I think we owe it to the LEOS who are out their doing their jobs that we're carrying a firearm with a state issued "carry permit." Just try Illinois, New Jersey, NY State, etc!

Every active officer who I've declared possession of a concealed handgun has breathed a sigh of relief when told!

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    http://concealednation.org/2015/07/...led-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

This link gives each individual state's requirements about declaring a concealed hand gun; as a retired federal LEO who carries under LEOSA (with a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement issued ID) I think I have a moral duty to let the officer know (with both of my hands gripping the steering wheel) I am carrying a concealed handgun. I'm good, under federal law to carry in any state, including NY and IL, but I'd rather let that lone Ohio State trooper know before he sees it when I'm reaching for the glove box!

Call me out on this; but even I feel the law says no requirement to declare I think we owe it to the LEOS who are out their doing their jobs that we're carrying a firearm with a state issued "carry permit." Just try Illinois, New Jersey, NY State, etc!

Every active officer who I've declared possession of a concealed handgun has breathed a sigh of relief when told!

The difference of course is you are likely to get "professional courtesy" regardless. I highly doubt similar friendly treatment from a Louisiana cop pulling all Texan plates over on I10.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Yeah, I'd say ready to declare is best, in state for sure. Husband was stopped by state trooper (DPS), and asked from a few paces back to get out of truck, before giving ID. Husband was OC on his belt at the time. Husband called out, "I'm a LTC holder and wanted to say I've got my pistol on my belt." The DPS officer was like "that's fine, I'm not worried about that."

He did only only get a warning so that was good.

It was nerve wracking because by stepping out first, husband was going to present the pistol before the ID, but really, I am sure they are used to it. No chances taken though, so that was good.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I really don't understand why so many people are afraid to be in possession of a firearm while around police.

I assume it must be the same people that won't pass a cop on the highway even though the cop is doing 10 mph under the speed limit.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I really don't understand why so many people are afraid to be in possession of a firearm while around police.

I assume it must be the same people that won't pass a cop on the highway even though the cop is doing 10 mph under the speed limit.

Lawd have mercy THIS!!!!!!!

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex

You live in Lampasas and I am betting you are a white guy. Out of state plates (especially Texas) are particularly targeted in certain nearby states. And thats nearby states not the joys of some hole like Illinois or California. In many areas the best policy is to avoid police interaction as the likelihood of bad things happening are high.

Edit: Would be interesting how a Chicago cop would handle you when pulled over.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    First, it is critical to know all state laws when carrying in a reciprocity state. Not just the requirement to declare, but where you can carry, etc.

But the OP's question is whether an out-of-state LE agency has access to the TX CHL/LTC database. Luckily, I just went through CJIS refresher training this weekend, and can share some insights on the matter.

NLETS (the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System, which links together and supports every state, local and federal law enforcement, justice and public safety agency for the purposes of sharing and exchanging critical information) is the system that allows other states to query the TX driver's license database.

NLETS also has a Concealed Weapons Query (CWQ) service, which includes the following states...

NLETS%20CWQ_zpsbbrzw4ty.jpg

Thus, if you have a license from any of these states, which includes Texas, you have a CWQ database entry that is accessible by NLETS users.

Cheers! M2

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    You live in Lampasas and I am betting you are a white guy. Out of state plates (especially Texas) are particularly targeted in certain nearby states.

Yeah, but why would you want to be anywhere out of state in first place?

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    NLETS (the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System, which links together and supports every state, local and federal law enforcement, justice and public safety agency for the purposes of sharing and exchanging critical information)

Oh yeah, I've heard of that!

vmZxAXI.jpg

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    First, it is critical to know all state laws when carrying in a reciprocity state. Not just the requirement to declare, but where you can carry, etc.

But the OP's question is whether an out-of-state LE agency has access to the TX CHL/LTC database. Luckily, I just went through CJIS refresher training this weekend, and can share some insights on the matter.

NLETS (the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System, which links together and supports every state, local and federal law enforcement, justice and public safety agency for the purposes of sharing and exchanging critical information) is the system that allows other states to query the TX driver's license database.

NLETS also has a Concealed Weapons Query (CWQ) service, which includes the following states...

NLETS%20CWQ_zpsbbrzw4ty.jpg

Thus, if you have a license from any of these states, which includes Texas, you have a CWQ database entry that is accessible by NLETS users.

Cheers! M2

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom