• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    awesome, can u stand and fire on the 50?

Yes, you can. I try to get a bay in the "LE & Tactical" area as it has a 10 yard (I think that's the distance) and a 50-yard target so I can shoot my pistols and .45 carbine simultaneously. That bay also has shooting rests for rifles if you don't want to shoot off-hand.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    FMJ not allowed? Honestly, I've never heard of such regulations. What is their reason?

Flash

Here in DFW, Elm Fork is the only one I know of that DOES allow FMJ, and its on the tactical 50yd range.

I think some attorney must make the decision for them. Heard several reasons and they weren't the same.

I think it something about FMJ having greater ricochet potential? Or they possibly go further intact, and can do damage down range.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Went to Alpine to shoot at some clays a couple Sundays ago and the ammo police was out in force.

Don;t go aften, but this was the first time they thoroughly went through my bag.

srstaff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Frisco
    Here in DFW, Elm Fork is the only one I know of that DOES allow FMJ, and its on the tactical 50yd range.

I think some attorney must make the decision for them. Heard several reasons and they weren't the same.

I think it something about FMJ having greater ricochet potential? Or they possibly go further intact, and can do damage down range.

I have fired fmj on the regular 50yd range.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    but this was the first time they thoroughly went through my bag.

They searched your property? I'm glad that I am a member of two private clubs. I would never put up with that crap!

Flash

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Yup one of the managers went thru my range bag when I was changing target and I totally asked him not to do so "AGAIN"

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Yup one of the managers went thru my range bag when I was changing target and I totally asked him not to do so "AGAIN"

Men tend to puff up and start tough talking so I'll avoid that here. I keep my hands OFF of the property of others. I also expect others to keep their flippin hands off of what's mine. That crap won't fly with me and I get awfully ugly about it. If he ASKED to look in my bag, I might even accommodate him but just helping himself especially in my absence...........bad plan! That sucker needs a tune up.

Flash

Elmerfudge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Joshua, Texas
    I'll make a comment since I'm the weekend range officer at Alpine on the hand trap range. We have signs posted at each trap stating 7 1/2, 8 and 9 shot only. We do 100% ammo checks because of people violating that policy. The reason - heavier/larger shot can travel too far to other ranges or houses. I always announce the policy and ask to see a shooters ammo before they start. I would estimate that 10% of shooters have 4, 6 or even 7 steel shot. I've even found people trying to shoot trap with 00 buckshot. I am always courteous and respectful. If I find ammo not permitted, I ask the shooter to put it in their car or truck. Most violators do so by accident and are apologetic. A very few get angry and I've even caught some trying to sneak the illicit ammo back to their traps. I've never kicked anyone off the range but I have made it clear twice that those people play by our rules or leave. We're into safety at Alpine. I'd hate to see someone on a Sporting Clay position get hurt because someone used #4's on my hand traps.

Anybody want to discuss this in more detail, I'll be at Alpine's hand traps on Saturday and Sunday. See you there!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You announce the rules, ask to see their ammunition to ensure the rules are being complied with. I don't think we have a problem. Post #13 says he went to change targets and the manager went through his bag while he was downrange. I have a problem with that and anyone else with a backbone would, too.

Flash

Top Bottom