• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fighta1337

US NAVY
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    west side of 20 Fort Worth
    You announce the rules, ask to see their ammunition to ensure the rules are being complied with. I don't think we have a problem. Post #13 says he went to change targets and the manager went through his bag while he was downrange. I have a problem with that and anyone else with a backbone would, too.

Flash

Actually ive seen this numerous times. Now i understand the safety issue but that is truelly bad form.

Fighta1337

US NAVY
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    west side of 20 Fort Worth
    hey also , sunday im headed to elm fork for sure. If anyone is headed that way let me know. I think my friends and i are going to go out for some lunch and bullets. ..... maybe watch the notebook later? ??? :D hahaha kidding

.357Sig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Arlington, DFW, Texas
    Probably one of the Range Officers on the Rifle Range looking for FMJ. Should ask to inspect not dive in while shooter downrange. Bad manners IMO.

I used to go about 2x a week at alpine but, last time I went, as im showing the stamped target the range officer his already in my range bag! Wtf!??? I shot what I had and left.. Havent looked back ever since.

Elmerfudge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Joshua, Texas
    I heard a couple of reason. Main one was the earthen berm used as backstop being eroded by high power FMJ. Since my hand traps are right behind the berm, I saw the common sense of the reason.

The other was ricochets but I hear those going overhead quite often from shooters on the pistol ranges hitting the sidewalks or rocks on the ground. I know... Hard to believe but there are some pretty bad shots.

I'll ask the boss this weekend for the real reason and report back.

Courtesy goes a long way in any business with the public. I'm sorry if some of my RO associates are not meeting your desired level of respect regarding ammo checks.

Elmerfudge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Joshua, Texas
    Asked three Alpine employees and destruction over time of the earthen berm backstop by high power FMJ rifle rounds is the reason for the restriction.

I talked to two of the RO's on the rifle/pistol range and the told me that deep bag searches became necessary because of the increasing number of shooters (mostly AR15 and SK) that have legal ammo boxes on top covering FMJ boxes underneath. Also they have caught quite a few people with magazines loaded with FMJ except for the top couple of rounds which were legal rounds. FMJ especially army surplus are cheap. Legal rounds are not cheap.

This weekend was our busiest of the year. I personally checked ammo of 100+ groups of trap shooters. I caught 9 that had non acceptable ammo. 8 was by oversight or mistake. No harm, no foul. Only one tried to sneak them in the bottom of an ammo bag covered by a towel and 2 boxes of #7 1/2. The clue was 135 clays and 50 shells visible. The guy stammered quite a bit, then put the #4's back in his truck and bought some correct ammo from us. Foul but no harm but I did watch to make sure he didn't go back to his truck.

So a few ammo "cheaters" cause the inconvenience for all. How we go about the bag searches is another issue. Me - I always ask permission and explain why the checks.

Top Bottom