• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    So I'm at a crappy Super S grocery store yesterday and I saw some really delicious looking pork ribs in the meat section. Then I'm thinking that I want to do some sort of a marinade for it, but I don't think I have anything that really fits the bill from a paleo perspective.

tl;dr - I didn't buy some pork ribs because I can't think of a good paleo marinade.

Thoughts?
    Texas SOT

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Do ribs even qualify? I don't think there is such a thing as lean pork ribs. Maybe venison would be lean. Olive oil and lemon juice with S&P would work as a marinate or as a swab to keep them moist while they slow cook. Maybe throw in a few spices you like. Thyme, rosemary, sage or even oregano would probably work and fit your diet.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I suck at cooking, so sorry I can't really help. ;) If it were me, I would run into this dilemma, get pissed off, throw the plain ribs in the microwave unless they'd fit the Foreman, and just eat 'em bland and boring. Oh well, it's still meat and not some ridiculous hippy tofu stuff at least. ;)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So I'm at a crappy Super S grocery store yesterday and I saw some really delicious looking pork ribs in the meat section. Then I'm thinking that I want to do some sort of a marinade for it, but I don't think I have anything that really fits the bill from a paleo perspective.

tl;dr - I didn't buy some pork ribs because I can't think of a good paleo marinade.

Thoughts?

Buy a smoker ... no need for marinades for the most part.

The complete obsession with removing carbs from the diet is not paleo, it's fucking stupid. Neanderthals and early man ate anything they could find in the area ... which included oranges, apples, etc. which have 20 - 30g of carbohydrates a piece!

The core of any diet is calories in and calories out ... it's simple chemical fact. People that claim to lose 15 lbs. in one week are just seeing wastes lost, which may stick around if it was something as simple as water loss. To burn actual fat you need to burn about 3500 calories to burn a single pound of fat. That'd equate to a calorie deficiency of 50,000+ calories in a weeks time ... so unless you are on the Auschwitz olympic training team I really doubt you are getting a permanent loss. I have a theory on how people lose alot of weight and hit the wall down the road, and it has to do something with lean mass mitigation, but that wouldn't apply very well to the discussion since it's uber high protein / building blocks.

Bottom line: Make a marinade, make it taste good, eat a decent portion ... just don't shove 2000 calories down your throat in a single sitting. Carbs do need to be mitigated ... but not to the massive degree that some of these fad diets employ.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    The complete obsession with removing carbs from the diet is not paleo, it's fucking stupid. Neanderthals and early man ate anything they could find in the area ... which included oranges, apples, etc. which have 20 - 30g of carbohydrates a piece!

The core of any diet is calories in and calories out ... it's simple chemical fact. People that claim to lose 15 lbs. in one week are just seeing wastes lost, which may stick around if it was something as simple as water loss. To burn actual fat you need to burn about 3500 calories to burn a single pound of fat. That'd equate to a calorie deficiency of 50,000+ calories in a weeks time ... so unless you are on the Auschwitz olympic training team I really doubt you are getting a permanent loss. I have a theory on how people lose alot of weight and hit the wall down the road, and it has to do something with lean mass mitigation, but that wouldn't apply very well to the discussion since it's uber high protein / building blocks.

Bottom line: Make a marinade, make it taste good, eat a decent portion ... just don't shove 2000 calories down your throat in a single sitting. Carbs do need to be mitigated ... but not to the massive degree that some of these fad diets employ.

This isn't about not eating carbs, this is about eating healthy carbs and you can get all the healthy carbs you need from fruits and vegetables.

Also, there is a lot more to nutrition than the very dated and overly simplistic calorie system. Keep in mind I lost 35 pounds doing this while eating like a horse, having more energy, and not working out at all. It has stayed off, too. There is more to it than simply "calories in, calories out".

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    This isn't about not eating carbs, this is about eating healthy carbs and you can get all the healthy carbs you need from fruits and vegetables.

Also, there is a lot more to nutrition than the very dated and overly simplistic calorie system. Keep in mind I lost 35 pounds doing this while eating like a horse, having more energy, and not working out at all. It has stayed off, too. There is more to it than simply "calories in, calories out".

I calorie is a measure of energy, your cells expend energy and emit heat as a byproduct of that. It really is that simple ... the body works on the laws of physics just like everything else. The presumption is certain foods do this and that ... sure, things are metabolized differently within the body. A complex carbohydrate must expend energy to reduce to a more simplistic one, such as glucose, which inflates your metabolic consumption. Reactions to glycemic index, lipid content, etc. all boil down to how much of your caloric intake is used.

It's like a car ... you put gas in it and you get byproducts out ... the efficiency of the motor is dictated by a million variables, but they are all dictated by physical principle.

The point is a more indepth version of what people always argue ... that I can eat alot more with X diet and feel great because of yadda yadda. It all boils down to the fact that X diet increases your metabolic function and your base caloric consumption as a result. Eating a diet of protein and fats is going to be a better diet than one based on carb-loading. Reason being ... the protein chains and fats supplement lean mass retention, liver response, and ultimately are broken down into several processes in order for the body to burn it as fuel. Basic sugar and second order sugars like fructose are processed quickly by the body since it is more similar to the base fuel, and thus, 200 calories of sugar is not the same as 200 calories of steak. Physically they are the same, but the bodies response is different.

Make more sense?

I really agree with the premise of the paleo diet.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Wow, I've not seen a more convoluted agreement in a while.

So...

Calories in (Food)
    - Calories burned (Combination of exercise, natural caloric need, and any metabolic effect of food consumed like meat vs carbs)
    --------------------
    Net Calories

If the net is + then you will store more fat.
    If the net is - then you will lose some fat.

3,500 calories = one lb of fat...so....
    net+3500 will add 1 lb of FAT to you, net-3500 will subtract one lb of FAT from you...(ignoring waste and water weight)

Also, 1lb of muscle at rest will burn an additional 50 calories a day. So if you add 10lbs of muscle lifting then you can eat an extra Big Mac a day with no FAT weight gain (I added this).

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Also, 1lb of muscle at rest will burn an additional 50 calories a day. So if you add 10lbs of muscle lifting then you can eat an extra Big Mac a day with no FAT weight gain (I added this).

I would argue that 50 calories is a bit much for a resting metabolic rate, and differs in individuals. You have to consider that those calories are all sourced from fat, and that is not the case. The calories are sourced from a variety of sources including the muscle itself. However, it's no misconception that significant gains in lean mass will also require significantly more nutrients and caloric intake to supplement and maintain. That's why guys weighing 250 lbs. of solid muscle have to eat 3000 - 4000 calories a day to maintain their weight.

If you ingest 500 calories, and your body can consume 500 calories, then the net gain is nothing. What you eat does play a factor in metabolic rate ... it's not a simple answer. Most diets seem to pinpoint one thing as "bad" and remove it from a diet. The real key is eating efficiently and in moderation ... that's why the majority of diets don't work long term, and why the majority of diets come and go with the tide.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Eat it naked, no tortilla.

Tortillas are extremely high in carbohydrates, are high in glycemic index, and generally have an asston of calories.

Yep, same thing at Chipotle. Just get the burrito bowl instead of the burrito. Kinda sucks though, it's so much easier in burrito form. lol

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    So - no Freebirds, huh?

Freebirds can be very paleo. I ate there almost every day for the last month before I deployed to Iraq.

Get a burrito bowl, but instead of rice have them fill the bowl with lettuce (basically a salad). No Cheese. Best meat to choose is Chicken or Carnitas. Throw some red onions, a little pico, some dried garlic, and guacamole on it. And for the dressing a glorious helping of Death sauce and lime juice. That is one of the most wonderful paleo friendly meals around.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I had to share.

As far as the ribs go.... some olive oil, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper will be mighty tasty... :)

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX

Make more sense?

I really agree with the premise of the paleo diet.

Yes, and I agree. To put it simply, I think what we're both talking about is simply not eating empty calories. Eating 500 calories of ice cream won't do as much for your body as eating 500 calories of celery with almond butter or some raspberries and blackberries. :)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yep, same thing at Chipotle. Just get the burrito bowl instead of the burrito. Kinda sucks though, it's so much easier in burrito form. lol

Yeah, I bet it's messy. I remember looking up the burrito at Chipotle and they have close to 1000 calories in a single one ... 400 of those are the tortilla.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yes, and I agree. To put it simply, I think what we're both talking about is simply not eating empty calories. Eating 500 calories of ice cream won't do as much for your body as eating 500 calories of celery with almond butter or some raspberries and blackberries. :)

Yep ... it's one of those things that the end is simple, but the means is relatively complex.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    One time someone handed me some ribs and all I had for seasoning was salt, black pepper, and a lime. They turned out damn good... If you slow cook pork with a wood fire or charcoal, it's hard for it NOT to come out delicious.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I picked up some preseasoned and cut pork loin wrapped in bacon; little medallions about 2" in diameter from HEB ... only cost about $6. Something to look into.

Top Bottom