• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Reading optics sources. Same answer. Yep.
    I keep reading in so many places that maximum parallax error does NOT increase with distance.
    It's a constant, determined by objective diameter.
    Not an angle that diverges.

Max error is 1/2 objective diameter either way at any distance.
    Error is constant so if expressed as MOA it decreases at distance. 1 inch off at 100 yards is about 1MOA. the same 1 inch of at 1500 feet is 0.2 MOA. An inch is an inch is an inch.

So many guys that should know better like the Leupold guy in the above video get it wrong.

Parallax error does not increase at distance.

For air rifle or 22lr shooters it's a big deal.
    For hunters or long distance snipers or steel shooters it's negligable.
    Military Camp

Last edited:

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Can someone explain a bit what exactly parallax is Since I have yet to shoot my rifle further than 100 yards I really only leave mine set to 100 mark and don't have any focus issues. This is also my first scope with parallax. Thanks.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Can someone explain a bit what exactly parallax is Since I have yet to shoot my rifle further than 100 yards I really only leave mine set to 100 mark and don't have any focus issues. This is also my first scope with parallax. Thanks.

Set it, parallax, at 100 yards or more.
    Look at something 50 feet away through the scope with the rifle immobilized.

Move your eye around behind the scope, the the crosshairs will move around the target even though the bore is pointing as a constant place.
    Hence "error".

Then set the parallax to 50 feet and repeat. Crosshairs should stay constantly aligned with target 50 feet away.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Set it, parallax, at 100 yards or more.
    Look at something 50 feet away through the scope with the rifle immobilized.

Move your eye around behind the scope, the the crosshairs will move around the target even though the bore is pointing as a constant place.
    Hence "error".

Then set the parallax to 50 feet and repeat. Crosshairs should stay constantly aligned with target 50 feet away.
    Ok cool thank you.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'm becoming increasingly convinced I'm wrong, as I mess with the math.
    Maximum error increases with distance but not so simple as a divergent angle that we are all familiar with,

I think you are reading into that one article too much. I think they are talking about the max error when the parallax is set such that the reticle is on the same focal plane as the target. If your parallax is not set for the distance of your target then the error can be more than the objective bell's diameter with a greater divergence creating a greater potential error size.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Don't think that much into it. Just get it as close as possible and better yet get behind the gun the exact same way each time.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Don't think that much into it. Just get it as close as possible and better yet get behind the gun the exact same way each time.
    It is too hard to train and practice that. We are throwing money at the problem with fancy scopes.

The scope manufacturers told us we need parallax adjustment so we do.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    It is too hard to train and practice that. We are throwing money at the problem with fancy scopes.

The scope manufacturers told us we need parallax adjustment so we do.
    Perfect and consistent alignment of the pupil and scope will eliviate it. If you can constantly get a proper cheek wield then parallax is non evident. In matches we have stages that will have targets in the 200-1200yd range and I set my parallax in the middle and run it with no issues.

That being said if you want the uttermost perfection in parallax adjustment buy a S&B. They are well known for the parallax adjustment to be so fine that if on a target at an ukd when adjusted in its extremely close of the yardage mark of the knob.

Top Bottom