• ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    A few years back, myself on a motorcycle, and another gentleman in a car were parking at the mall at the same time, in adjacent parking spaces. I was relatively well dressed on a nice bike. As I’m taking off my helmet and beginning to walk away (angled away from him, with my bike in between us) he starts to pull up the front of his shirt and from the corner of my eye, I see him pull a Glock out from the front of his waistband and rack a round in the chamber. Owning several handguns, I recognized the sound immediately and turned around to see him holing it for a couple seconds before sticking it back in the front of his pants. I know his intention was to let me know he was armed, he wasn’t going to rob me or anything, but clearly inappropriate (as well as illegal). I don’t know, maybe he thought about robbing me or steeling my bike or something and changed his mind, but It certainly didn’t feel that way. He just casually walked into the mall. I couldn’t imagine getting to the point of committing a crime where I draw a gun and not getting out of there after that. I was pretty pissed, I didn’t know how to feel. I wasn’t scarred, I was just angry about it. Like he was looking down on me or something. All I can figure, is that he was new to the whole “carrying a gun” thing and he was a little overly excited about it. By the look of the guy, which is totally an assumption and completely improper, but I wouldn’t figure him to have a CHL. I was armed, but I didn't draw, as his gun was away before I had even fully assessed the situation. I did begin to pull up my shirt as soon as I saw the gun though, so at least my reaction was correct.

I’m a little bit more of an asshole these days, but if it were to happen again, instead of being angry and going on about my business, I would report it to the police, I should have done it then. If I was feeling really nasty about it, I might run off yelling, “I don’t have any money, please don’t kill me!” making a HUGE scene in front of everyone and tell the police that I thought I was being robbed, just to make sure he had a worse day than he gave me. It’s pretty pissy, I know, and if he was planning on robbing me and changed his mind when I wasn’t scared, that might have shown him that I was been a good victim after all, but that shows how mad I was about the whole thing. Still pisses me off.

What would you do in this situation?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    shoot, I'd have called the cops. Either he was a bad guy or an idiot who shouldn't be carrying.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I’m a little bit more of an asshole these days, but if it were to happen again, instead of being angry and going on about my business, I would report it to the police, I should have done it then. If I was feeling really nasty about it, I might run off yelling, “I don’t have any money, please don’t kill me!” making a HUGE scene in front of everyone and tell the police that I thought I was being robbed, just to make sure he had a worse day than he gave me. It’s pretty pissy, I know, and if he was planning on robbing me and changed his mind when I wasn’t scared, that might have shown him that I was been a good victim after all, but that shows how mad I was about the whole thing. Still pisses me off.

What would you do in this situation?

Perhaps he just wanted to be armed with one in the chamber for his trip to the store.

What do you think calling the cops would have done?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Perhaps he just wanted to be armed with one in the chamber for his trip to the store.

Perhaps he should have done that in his vehicle instead of while standing in the parking lot staring at me.

What do you think calling the cops would have done?

I could have reported a man standing in the mall parking lot displaying a loaded firearm, then fill out a police report stating the same. At that point, I've got his license plate number (as well as his car), the brand of gun he's carrying and a description of him and what he's wearing. I would hope that they would at least wait until he came back out to his car and question him about the incident. I'm sure he could spout off 100 excuses for me seeing his firearm, and as much as I would love for them to charge him with disorderly conduct, I'm sure I couldn't expect that from my statement alone. I'm sure the fact that someone reported it and he was questioned would at least be enough to make him think twice before doing something that careless again.

This situation gives firearms a bad name, in my opinion. If I already didn't approve of firearms in the hands of civilians, I'm sure being in a situation like this would only help to concrete that attitude.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Perhaps he should have done that in his vehicle instead of while standing in the parking lot staring at me.

I could have reported a man standing in the mall parking lot displaying a loaded firearm, then fill out a police report stating the same. At that point, I've got his license plate number (as well as his car), the brand of gun he's carrying and a description of him and what he's wearing. I would hope that they would at least wait until he came back out to his car and question him about the incident. I'm sure he could spout off 100 excuses for me seeing his firearm, and as much as I would love for them to charge him with disorderly conduct, I'm sure I couldn't expect that from my statement alone. I'm sure the fact that someone reported it and he was questioned would at least be enough to make him think twice before doing something that careless again.

This situation gives firearms a bad name, in my opinion. If I already didn't approve of firearms in the hands of civilians, I'm sure being in a situation like this would only help to concrete that attitude.

The police are not going to wait around for him to come out. And the police cannot arrest for this misdemeanor not occurring in their presence or view.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    The police are not going to wait around for him to come out. And the police cannot arrest for this misdemeanor not occurring in their presence or view.

Thug flashing a loaded firearm in public, I thought that would be something to report, I stand corrected. What would you do in this situation?

ohhrico1969

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Tomball
    I would have called the cops. If he was a CCW holder, he would learn the lesson about "brandishing" a firearm. Having this license means that we agree to a great resposnisblity. What would have happened if someone else had seen him? Or if you DID believe he was attacking you and you responded accordingly? If he wasn't a CCW holder then he deserves everything he gets. It's behavior like this that feeds the anti-gun zealots.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring

if true, another example of why most laws are totally worthless. more reason to be prepared to protect yourself because your pretty much on your own all day, all the time.

chopper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    east tx
    Maybe you should stop wearing your feelings on your sleeve.
    You assume he was looking down on you or it made you feel that way...why? cause you were on a bike?

"All I can figure, is that he was new to the whole “carrying a gun” thing and he was a little overly excited about it. By the look of the guy, which is totally an assumption and completely improper, but I wouldn’t figure him to have a CHL. I was armed, but I didn't draw, as his gun was away before I had even fully assessed the situation. I did begin to pull up my shirt as soon as I saw the gun though, so at least my reaction was correct."

This sounds like you were new to the whole "carrying a gun" thing and got overly excited yourself, having started the sequence to draw your gun before assessing the situation.

As for calling the police...isnt that what the masses who want gun control, have no education about guns type of ppl would do? sort of the MWAG calls i hear so many ppl with permits complain about happening to them.
    What would I have done? taken notice of the person's body language and accessing the fact he appeared to casually proceed into the mall and let it go.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I would have called the cops. If he was a CCW holder, he would learn the lesson about "brandishing" a firearm. Having this license means that we agree to a great resposnisblity. What would have happened if someone else had seen him? Or if you DID believe he was attacking you and you responded accordingly? If he wasn't a CCW holder then he deserves everything he gets. It's behavior like this that feeds the anti-gun zealots.

I agree this is exactly the behavior that feeds the left...

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    You assume he was looking down on you or it made you feel that way...why? cause you were on a bike?

No, because he faced me, drew a weapon, readied it to fire and watched for my reaction before putting it away. Taking notice of the person's body language and assessing the situation is what kept me from drawing on him.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    You guys need to unwad your panties and get a grip.

I bet y'all would be on here whining about your neighbor for calling the police for you speeding in your neighborhoods.

Guys, don't be hypocrites and remmeber that you don't want to bring the .gov into your lives.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

That was my first reaction, too. If he was really being aggressive, the boy would have made some more moves. He probably remembered the chamber was empty and didn't want to shoot his dashboard so he racked the round outside.

Thinking about it a bit more, what was the Knothead doing carrying the pistol with an unloaded chamber? No....if he was playing macho man, he would have made some other moves. He just forgot to charge it up.

That reminds me of a rule that I have for my carry guns. I don't ever unload them. I have a special perch at home for ONE carry gun and it is always loaded. The others are loaded and in a small safe. It's like an Alaskan sled dog. They aren't pets or to play with. Those are for business only.

Flash

Top Bottom