• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    A couple blocks north of Red Bluff road on the beltway 8 service road the local cops have a "speed trap". It's well know but the still catch a frew folks. Today I got the usual laser alert on my valentine 1 radar but in addition to that it was preceded By a new K band alert. The k band was low power and totally gave away the laser. the Pasadena cops run Ka in their cars so it was not a cop car spoiling the trap...

I wonder if one of the locals has something like a baseball radar gun turned on?
    Target Sports

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Does the speed limit all of a sudden change right there in that spot?

0.jpg

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Come on. Not speeding? Seriously?

We all know that speed limits are starting points, in reality. Nobody really drives exactly at the limit. The only time I've set the cruise at the limit is on those rare 80mph roads where if I go much faster I'll start measuring gallons per mile.

Another proven fact is that speed traps are for revenue collection, not public safety. So yes, I would love more information on the location of speed traps, so I can drop down to less than 5 over on that section, cheat the local PD out of my money, and the insurance company out of higher premiums, and continue on my way between 5-10 over the black and white signs.

ETA: I have never gotten a speeding ticket (knocking on wood as I type) and have never felt a pain in my wallet from my driving habits. I am also an Air Force Navigator, and know exactly how much time going 5-10 over the limit actually saves me.

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    I would love to see this "proof". Most cities obtain between 1%-2% of their income from fines of any sort. And what constitutes a "trap"? That was never addressed. A cop with a radar gun? Is that a trap?

a drastic drop in the speed limit

drive 105 in Montgomery TX. 1/2 mile stretch outside the city ....nothing around, except a cop car, the good news is he almost always has someone else pulled over

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    For the 21 years I was a policeman 80% of traffic citations were for revenue. The other 20% were truly stupid people. Its just the unwritten truth, why be all self righteous about it. Every now and then there is a true boy scout in blue, but that wears off after you have been cussed enough by the motoring public.
    None of the above can be proved, nor would you want to.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    For the 21 years I was a policeman 80% of traffic citations were for revenue. The other 20% were truly stupid people. Its just the unwritten truth, why be all self righteous about it. Every now and then there is a true boy scout in blue, but that wears off after you have been cussed enough by the motoring public.
    None of the above can be proved, nor would you want to.
    in cities as big as houston and austin its revenue neutral, so how would one say its for revenue?

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I just got popped for a spot mobility tax assessment by HPD. Second time since 1985. Ain't one damned thing revenue neutral about the $218.00 it cost me for deferred adjudication. Bust me for really speeding, but to hide behind a bush at the end of an exit ramp that is less than 100' long is just plain chickenshit.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You could pay a $20,000 fine and it is still revenue neutral. Speeders all typicaly have one thing in common...they were speeding and they rarely cry about not having been speeding only that they had a good reason or others were going faster, the "why me" mentality.

In many places the fines collected do not cover the cost of police, police cars, courts, buildings to house these folks.

It without a shadow of a doubt, boyscout or not, is not about revenue. Anyone who thinks it is is simply uninformed/ignorant to the facts.

Look at a video of traffic in a 3rd world country with no/few traffic police, India comes to mind. It is total chaos and insanity in which no one obeys any traffic laws.

I fine system for us to aspire to.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    There is one off ramp on beltway 8 in deer park that the limit on the belt is 65 and the ramp is posted at 35 (not the yellow suggested sign but the black and white) and the local PD sits on that ramp right around the corner less than 50 feet from the start of the ramp radaring exiting traffic just to give out tickets. That is what people refer to as a speed trap.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Traffic citations for speeding has two faces :

The highways are often cluttered by nitwits that break all the rules of decent driving due to their warped personalities becoming the vehicle and its want all the road ahead, 18 wheelers being my No. 1 gripe. Not to mention the Elmer Fudds creeping along holding up traffic.

BUT...Were there no cops, no traffic citations, merely driving would be like being afoot in the dark in parts of all major cities, your life in your own hands....
    So it isn't just the "Revenuers" out to get your money. it is public safety. Thank goodness that all revenuers aren't out just for the fun of it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So I just have to ask since there is so much arguement here. What would happen if everyone quit speeding and no tickets were issued? In fact, no moving violations at all? Would our current police force be layed off, or not even be affected? I know taxes fund their pay, so where does the fine money go? I know the system is revenue based, because you have to pay a fine for a violation, but how would the system change if the officer just gave you a bad spanking for it? Who would miss the loss of revenue?

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I feel sorry for cops that have to spend time writing traffic tickets. Sad that they couldn't make detective.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    So I just have to ask since there is so much arguement here. What would happen if everyone quit speeding and no tickets were issued? In fact, no moving violations at all? Would our current police force be layed off, or not even be affected? I know taxes fund their pay, so where does the fine money go? I know the system is revenue based, because you have to pay a fine for a violation, but how would the system change if the officer just gave you a bad spanking for it? Who would miss the loss of revenue?

In that scenario, traffic divisions of PDs would probably be reduced in size. Highway Patrol would probably be reduced in size. Municipal Courts and staffs would be reduced in size. EMS units would be reduced in size, as a huge chunck of their work is traffic accidents and a large percentage of traffic accidents are due to speed and other traffic violations.

That having been said you could make speeding fines $10,000 per violation and people would still speed.

Most departments have a 5-10 mph tolerance before they will even look at you.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom