• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I prefer the Trend micro stuff. Maleware bytes and another I can't think of the name of are nice also. Oh, yeah, it's called spybot.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I went with PC Matic and I couldn't be happier. One of the things that got me interested is that it is an American company ran by Americans. Rob Cheng, the CEO is a pretty decent fellow. He is very pro capitalism and down on big gov and central banks printing money.

They said it would speed up slow computers and it did a great job on my 4 year old Dell desktop. That thing used to take forever to start up and get a web browser open. Now it starts up and loads like it did when it was new.

Rob Cheng invented the idea for PC Pitstop (the basis for PC Matic) back in 1999. He is a survivor of the dot com/IT boom and bust cycle. PC Matic has kept my computer running fine and virus free for months now and it's not a memory hog like other anti virus programs.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Are you a paid spokesman vmax? ;)

1/2 serious, 1/2 kidding

no, but I got interested in the CEO and did a little background search on him.

His new commercials are goofy.. I think he should bring back the hot chicks

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Funny, the hot chicks struck me as straight up bimbettes and I muted the commercial. With the current more direct commercials, I sometimes listen.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Honestly, seeing those commercials is what put me off. I should have reeled in my fingers like usual. My go-to AV is Vipre. It's a smaller outfit than most, but their customer service is second to none and the footprint is tiny compared to the behemoths like McAfee (which I have to use at work) and Norton. If you get a virus using their software, they will personally lead you through the process of getting rid of it. You can download bootable disks from them to do deep scans without ever booting Windows. All of our family's computers have been with them for 7+ years and have never gotten a virus unless they did something appallingly stupid.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I prefer the Trend micro stuff.
    I've had a love/hate relationship with them for several years now. Not feeling well enough to express the details now but current opinion is not high

I like the American part. Especially the service desk being American
    Agreed.

I had actually been thinking of starting a similarly topical thread for several days now. Interested to see how this progresses.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    There are a million and a half PC de-crap-ifying softwares out there, all of which do the same basic thing that someone with almost no know-how can do themselves periodically, and without risking downloading an illegitimate program/trojan. It's almost like hiring some random person off the street to clean out your house and organize your garage/gun room for you. No thanks.

Better yet, consider dual-booting with Linux for general web-browsing needs. It's a free alternative to windows that, in certain varieties, looks and functions almost exactly like windows to the end-user. Best of all, it's very difficult to get a virus unless you were REALLY trying to, and runs faster than Windows because it cuts out between 30%-60% of the extra unnecessary fluff.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I went with PC Matic and I couldn't be happier. One of the things that got me interested is that it is an American company ran by Americans. Rob Cheng, the CEO is a pretty decent fellow. He is very pro capitalism and down on big gov and central banks printing money.

They said it would speed up slow computers and it did a great job on my 4 year old Dell desktop. That thing used to take forever to start up and get a web browser open. Now it starts up and loads like it did when it was new.

Rob Cheng invented the idea for PC Pitstop (the basis for PC Matic) back in 1999. He is a survivor of the dot com/IT boom and bust cycle. PC Matic has kept my computer running fine and virus free for months now and it's not a memory hog like other anti virus programs.
    Things still going well? Have you ever needed CS? If so, how was it?

My Trend Micro agreement auto-renews next month and I really don't like dealing with them.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Things still going well? Have you ever needed CS? If so, how was it?

My Trend Micro agreement auto-renews next month and I really don't like dealing with them.
    it has been trouble free on my Windows 8 and Vista machines. I have not needed CS, but I did have a question once when I first got going and tried to reach out but never heard back
    In fairness, I don't think I followed the help menu correctly, so maybe that's why but I have not needed anything further

Top Bottom