• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Who'da thunk it? I liked Phil Collins before, now I like the guy even more.

He owns one of four of Davy Crockett's rifles and has one of the largest collections of Alamo artifacts, and has written a book on the Alamo.

Here's an excerpt of the interview

QA: Phil Collins on His Alamo Obsession, Retirement | Music News | Rolling Stone

How did you first start to collect the artifacts? At one point in the 1980's, I was in Washington and I found a shop called the Gallery of History. They had a Crockett letter in there, which I came across by accident. It was too expensive for my pocket. I've outspent that many times over since, but at the time I was like, "Wow, I didn't know that existed, but it's too expensive." But my third wife gave me a Christmas present that was a receipt for a saddle by one of the Alamo couriers. Once I had something to hang on the wall, then I started to look for other things to hang on the wall.

What's your single favorite item in your collection? That varies from day to day. I've got one of four known Davy Crocket rifles. It's fantastic just to know it's one of the rifles that he actually used. His cousin had it. I just got sent a piece of unidentified bronze with the letter "J" on it. That could be one of the Italians, Mexican-Italians, that was fighting there. This is all very interesting to to those that are interested. It's like transporting to people that aren't.

How often do you go down to Texas? As often as I can. I was there just a couple of weeks ago for a few book signing events. But I go there at least a couple of times a year, to see my pals and just to sort of walk around. It feels very friendly down there.

Do you deal with people down there that are only faintly aware of your music? I think most people are aware of it, but they all seem pretty unimpressed, which is fine by me. At this point in my life I'm quite pleased to be seen in another light. If I go down there, the rangers, kind of the Alamo police – they all tip their hat and say, "Hi, Phil." The gift shop ladies always say hello, too. I'm not Phil Collins down there. I'm Phil Collins an enthusiast about that particular part of history, and that's usually just fine.

Read more: QA: Phil Collins on His Alamo Obsession, Retirement | Music News | Rolling Stone
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

digitaltrip

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Mesquite
    Spent many hours listening to Genesis back in the 80's, didn't know about his Alamo hobby though. Very cool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    It's sad though. The man has a neck injury that keeps him from being able to play drums or even sign his name. He says he doesn't mind it as he has no interest in playing drums nowadays anyhow, as he doesn't want to be a shadow of his former self.

He even admitted contemplating suicide, but doesn't as he has children.

I guess you can say... He doesn't care anymore...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Knew about his Alamo obsession, have always thought it was cool. Wasn't aware of the dislocated vertebrae in his neck keeping him from playing the drums, but in an interview Collins stated "I am not in any 'distressed' state; stuff happens in life."

I am amazed that the Queen hasn't knighted him yet. He was appointed a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order in 1994 in recognition of his work on behalf of the Prince's Trust. I think he's done enough charity work and in my opinion has made a large enough contribution to society to deserve it. Hopefully he will be honored with an OBE or even a CBE in the near future. If not, he should be made an honorary Texan by Gov Perry. Collins has been awarded an honorary Doctor of History degree from McMurry University at the Spring 2012 Commencement for his longstanding devotion to the history of the Alamo and the Texas Revolution! I guess that now makes him "Doctor Phil!" :D

Cheers! M2

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Knew about his Alamo obsession, have always thought it was cool. Wasn't aware of the dislocated vertebrae in his neck keeping him from playing the drums, but in an interview Collins stated "I am not in any 'distressed' state; stuff happens in life."

I am amazed that the Queen hasn't knighted him yet. He was appointed a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order in 1994 in recognition of his work on behalf of the Prince's Trust. I think he's done enough charity work and in my opinion has made a large enough contribution to society to deserve it. Hopefully he will be honored with an OBE or even a CBE in the near future. If not, he should be made an honorary Texan by Gov Perry. Collins has been awarded an honorary Doctor of History degree from McMurry University at the Spring 2012 Commencement for his longstanding devotion to the history of the Alamo and the Texas Revolution! I guess that now makes him "Doctor Phil!" :D

Cheers! M2
    hows that workin for ya???

Top Bottom