• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Trey you are right about phones but they don't give you the control that a camera does. In each nof the photos I've posted, they all were shot in manual exposure with adjustments made by me. You can also tell the camera to bracket your exposure if you don't like manual metering.
    I absolutely agree. All the above shots were with my Nikon. All manual. Using an auto metering takes the fun out of it.
    Lynx Defense

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Most photographers will criticize my not using the rule of thirds technique. I have tried to apply it several times to my photography and always seem to edit it back out.

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    There's an old adage in photography. The best camera to own is the one you keep with you.

Modern cell phones are capable of simply stunning images. Sure, a dSLR opens up a lot of options, but it certainly isn't a requirement to capture some amazing shots.

DSLR is not required. Back in the 1980s somebody said that more good photos were taken with box brownies than all other cameras combined. We just don't get to see them.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    @General Zod, Warbird photos are always good, You have some interesting perspectives on those.

FYI you can buy a used nikon DSLR with zoom pretty cheap. Check B&H Photo, KEH or Adorama.
    I've bought most of my cameras this year {4 of em) off ebay. But I am confident in my ability to spot a good deal. Amazon has some deals on factory refurbished cameras too.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Lakeside Bldg.jpg

This is the entrance and has some perspective issues. It seems to be leaning back even though the camera was level. Again this can be corrected on post or before taken with a view cameras perspective controls.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Pineapple.jpg
    I like the texture and detail of this which is created by the shadows. I cropped out half the pineapple because this is a better composition to me.

This brings up a point on cropping. There is/was a school of thought that cropping was cheating. Well the world isn't built to the same ratio as your camera sensor or film, or standard print sizes.

Some cameras are 4:3 others are 2:3 (35mm), 4:5, 11:14 and other ratios. Common print sizes are 4x6 which matches 35mm, 4x5, 8x10, 11x14, 11x17, 16x20 and even bigger. 16x20, 8x10 and 4x5 are all the same ratio. So to get the best composition, cropping may be required for a final print size.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I don't imagine many people use a tilt shift lens anymore, when the perspective tool in PS is so much easier ;)

Both Nikon and Cannon still make perspective control lenses for their DSLRs. View cameras with full tilt shift and swings are still being made. Still used for studio product shots and architecture. Film is available for them and so are some outrageously pricey digital backs.
    The view cameras are also still used for Art photography and landscapes.

I don't know if it still is true, Playboy always shot the centerfold on 8x10 film when Hef was in Charge.

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Fire nice set. I am a sucker for cloudscapes and moon shots. The barbed wire really gets you attention. The rocks with the milky way is gorgeous. Color and composition excellent.

I am sure some of us would appreciate details of exposure info etc. as many may not know where to start on those types of shots.

Top Bottom