• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Noting the plethora of “micro” 9mm CC semi-auto’s; and having long decades of CC’ing everything from full-size 1911’s to J-frames & PPKS or P3AT;s; I am noting that several factors other than overall size seem to greatly influence ‘carry-ability”.

Let me go over some of these, and seek others’ opinions on each:

Weight: Although I have gone to everyday concealed suspenders and web carry belts, I don’t find weight a big factor. In fact, the PPKS outweighs a Scandium J-frame quite a bit but carries as easily & comfortably IWB, if not in-pocket.

Bbl length: Same here, this has little effect for me, if IWB.

Grip length: This has been more of a factor, both in regards to “printing” and to my comfort. I constantly find that long grips, especially with mega-magazines, often cause problems for me. And, how many rounds would be optimal, anyway ?

Balance: The old big 1911’s seem easier for me to conceal IWB than the “Commander” sizes. What say you ?

Thickness: This is a real biggie. Just consider how much easier it is to CC a GLOCK 26 or 27 than a GLOCK 30, albeit the thickness is only sightly greater.

”De-horning” seems to improve everything. that said, I still want regular hammers on my revolvers.

Magazine capacity: Ammo adds weight, but also the hi-cap mags are longer. I’ve read that the most usual “shots fired” crime defense incidents involve average 3 shots total. (I fully admit to carrying vey large amounts of ammo; possibly from my years of living on the Border.)

Please give your thoughts on these factors, and to other concerns re overall “carry-ability”.

leVieux
    Lynx Defense

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I don’t find a Glock 30 difficult to carry. It may be more difficult to conceal than a 26 but it’s bigger than a 26 not just in width but in grip length. I also don’t find the G30 to be a wide gun. My Dan Wesson 1911 is wider on the grip. Biggest factors for me are grip length and sharp edges.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I don’t find a Glock 30 difficult to carry. It may be more difficult to conceal than a 26 but it’s bigger than a 26 not just in width but in length. I also don’t find the G30 to be a wide gun. My Dan Wesson 1911 is wider on the grip. Biggest factors for me are grip length and sharp edges.
    OK, then compare the G30 to a G19.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    OK, then compare the G30 to a G19.
    I do find my 30 to be a little easier to carry than my 19. One factor in this may be that I have the option of 9 or 10 round mags and I usually carry it with a 9 round mag. this is just my experience. For me, 1911s(at least with a full size non bobtail grip) are tougher to conceal well.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I do find my 30 to be a little easier to carry than my 19. One factor in this may be that I have the option of 9 or 10 round mags and I usually carry it with a 9 round mag. this is just my experience. For me, 1911s(at least with a full size non bobtail grip) are tougher to conceal well.
    <>

Thanks for your observations & opinions.

I found the opposite re G30 vs G19.

For several years, when out for a walk in my North Brownsville drug-kingpin neighborhood; I carried both a G21 & a G19, b/c the kingpins don’t do crimes near their homes; but do favor vicious guard dogs. I feared an attack from 3 Rottweilers held back by only a screen-door latch.

We are all different.

leVieux

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    1911's are just fine for me. I am fond of the CCO for carry. The added weight is no biggie. Heck, a person's weight varies by several pounds through the course of the day. I carry the type and caliber I want for defense. That is my priority, not size or weight.

Printing is a non-issue. No one notices.

Biggest single factor in comfort (and for consistency/ease of drawing) is the belt. Get a good steel insert belt with the belt holes closer together and a decent holster.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    i have IWB holsters for, and have carried the following:

Glock 26
    Walther PPS
    Springfield XDS
    S&W Shield
    Glock 19
    Canik TP9 SF Elite
    Sig P365
    Springfield Hellcat

Out of this list, my 2 favorites are the P365 and Hellcat. Why? The comfort of carry with the ratio of rounds of ammo held.
    I only conceal carry and those are very comfortable for me, while providing me the number of rounds I feel I might (but hopefully will never) use someday.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Depends.

Reliability plays a huge part for me.

I like a slim pistol. But I carry more to be armed. Often a small .380. Going bigger for me is 3” 1911.

I dont like longer barrels like a 5” to 6” as it affects my draw and time on target.

4” barrel or less.

6-7 rounds does me fine for doing daily tasks. Set places I might go with a higher capacity and extra rounds but that’s only a few times a year.

Weight is not as much a factor as size. Wide double stack pistols feel wide, heavy, bulky vs a slim light small pistol.

I feel I can conceal a smaller pistol better, and used to always be armed. Now more limited in when I can carry.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    A belt and dressing like a slob means you can carry anything. Well almost anything.

I don't like small handguns. I'm willing to make some sacrifices to ultimate comfort and concealibiliy if it means i get to carry a full size pistol
    <>

And that is your option and your right.

I know that with past “No Guns Zones”, it was .380’s daytimes & .45ACP’s nights for many Physicians.

My adult Kids joke that “ I clank when I walk!”

If you ever get caught unarmed by a dangerous Criminal, you’ll never allow that to happen again; laws or no. I only survived b/c I was in training for a Marathon the next week.

Today at 79, I’d have zero chance.

You know the one about the Undertaker or the Judge. . . . . . .

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I carry what I know I can hit with and it’s second nature to me. I don’t worry about size or weight.
    in almost thirty years of carrying i have tried carrying probably a couple dozen different pistolsof many different brands and calibers what i found is there is no such thing as the perfect carry pistol sorry it just doesn't exist

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    in almost thirty years of carrying i have tried carrying probably a couple dozen different pistolsof many different brands and calibers what i found is there is no such thing as the perfect carry pistol sorry it just doesn't exist
    That is why I carry what works for me and don’t try to pass off any thing to others. I don’t give a damn what you carry as long as you are happy with your selection.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    For many years I've been carrying a J-frame with 2 Bianchi speed strips. If the average altercation is only 3 rounds fired, I've got enough. I have lately been looking at my Springfield Hellcat as an alternative.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    <>

And that is your option and your right.

I know that with past “No Guns Zones”, it was .380’s daytimes & .45ACP’s nights for many Physicians.

My adult Kids joke that “ I clank when I walk!”

If you ever get caught unarmed by a dangerous Criminal, you’ll never allow that to happen again; laws or no. I only survived b/c I was in training for a Marathon the next week.

Today at 79, I’d have zero chance.

You know the one about the Undertaker or the Judge. . . . . . .

leVieux
    I try to limit my time spent in GFZ's as much as possible.

Im also very careless and have a vision problem that causes me to overlook any and all anti gun signage. In Minecraft, of course. I am a good citizen and never break any laws

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Since I have not found the perfect carry pistol, I tend to rotate based on risks and how I am dressed. My most carried guns in order are 340pd, cz p01,kobra carry, 327pc. These pretty much cover everything for me. I do not have any polymer pistols but I do want to try a czp07.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I try to limit my time spent in GFZ's as much as possible.

Im also very careless and have a vision problem that causes me to overlook any and all anti gun signage. In Minecraft, of course. I am a good citizen and never break any laws
    <>

Understood, & “resemble” your descriptions,

Bishop: “There are church shootings elsewhere, so you cannot come in here armed to protect yourself & others!”

Err, ”That makes perfect sense, Excellency; so I’ll comply!”

Sure !

Not yet ready to be martyred over some nutcase’s scheme.

We had an actual terrorist threat against a specific service in N.O.

We wanted a few riflemen in the choir loft, doors barred & guarded, police & deputy churchmembers in uniform in & out, SWAT & Medics on-site.

We already had numerous Cops, retired LEO’s, Military Vets etc. on our mandated Church defense committee.

Instead, Bishop cancelled service!

WWJD ?

Certainly not that.

Bishop had just come from several years as Bishop of AUSTIN. That may explain attitude.

leVieux

Top Bottom