• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Solid advise. Your right about the Weatherby shell prices! I own two (257 and a 300 wby mag, Mark V). Luckily I stocked up before prices doubled. Good news, The local gun shops I frequent on and off season here in Laredo as well as Corpus always have rounds available. Nevertheless, both rifles shoot tight and are a thrill. Good solid weapons, high shell prices.

wilded

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Texas
    I am starting to feel the same way about .264 Win Mag ammo. I saw a box in a gun shop for $42.00
    I may half to start buying once fired 7mm mag brass, resize and load to .264.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I have a $150 Sears Model 53 (a post 64 Winchester Model 70 ) 30-06 that my wife gave me for Christmas in 1973. Although I could never learn to shoot it all that great back then, I did OK and I lugged that thing all over the mountains in southern and central California and northeast Alabama many times. Sometime in the early 80s, I bought a beautiful used .270 Rem but I always went back to that old scratched up Winchester when I was going to the thickets here in southeast Texas. I gave up hunting many years back and sold my .270 Rem 700 when money got tight back in the late '80s but this rifle was a gift that I could not sell and so it sat in the corner of a closet for all that time. A couple of years ago, I got back into shooting and pulled it out. The cheap stock was scratched and nicked but the rest of the rifle was still in remarkably great condition.

After a few range trips out to Hot Wells and talking to a couple of knowledgeable folks there and the local gun shops, I discovered the reason I never could get those good groups with it was that it just didn't like the Remington Core-Lokt or Winchester Super X ammo I had always used...it likes Federal....cheap, expensive, AE, it doesn't matter...it shoots great groups with Federal!

Since I am not going to lug it around in the woods anymore I decided to make it a bench shooter. I replaced the cheap stock with a heaver Boyds thumbhole stock and put a Harris bipod on it, and replaced the dinged up old Bushnell Banner scope with a 6-9x 40 Carl Zeiss. I still need to tweak the stock bedding and fine tune my reload recipe, but I am looking forward to finally getting those tight groups at 200 yards that this rifle is capable of doing.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ltlavender
    Top Bottom