• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Yes, but no stamp just an approved letter and the satisfaction of knowing that the atf knows exactly where you are.

Also I'm sure everyone who sold braces have already turned over sales records. So they know anyways.

Ofcourse none of us would violate any laws.
    So if someone already has current suppressors or sbrs, and had pistol braced handguns. Then what would be the drawback of registering those "handguns" as now sbrs? Especially if someome may have wanted to sbr it at somepoint anyway. In theory could register it, get approval, and chance the brace over to a stock at some point?

I guess the main limiting factor is that firearm would now require a stamp for someone else if ever selling it? And different travel restrictions with it?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    When is the "last" day for registering/free stamps? May 31?

The rule was published Jan 31 with a 120-day window for a tax deferred stamp. At some point, whatever NFA item has a deferred stamp will have to be transferred* and the tax will be due unless the firearm is later deregistered, forfeited, or destroyed to ATF’s satisfaction.

*ATF is only allowing personal registrations (no trusts) for the deferred tax. I guess you could also do a normal F1 to a trust and pay the $200 even though ATF’s commentary and matrix don’t specifically address this.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yes, but no stamp just an approved letter and the satisfaction of knowing that the atf knows exactly where you are.

Also I'm sure everyone who sold braces have already turned over sales records. So they know anyways.

You could have just answered the question or not said anything at all.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    The rule was published Jan 31 with a 120-day window for a tax deferred stamp. At some point, whatever NFA item has a deferred stamp will have to be transferred* and the tax will be due unless the firearm is later deregistered, forfeited, or destroyed to ATF’s satisfaction.

*ATF is only allowing personal registrations (no trusts) for the deferred tax. I guess you could also do a normal F1 to a trust and pay the $200 even though ATF’s commentary and matrix don’t specifically address this.
    Supposedly, firearms already listed in the trust prior to "rule change" implementation date are exempt from the $200 transfer into trust.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So if someone already has current suppressors or sbrs, and had pistol braced handguns. Then what would be the drawback of registering those "handguns" as now sbrs? Especially if someome may have wanted to sbr it at somepoint anyway. In theory could register it, get approval, and chance the brace over to a stock at some point?

I guess the main limiting factor is that firearm would now require a stamp for someone else if ever selling it? And different travel restrictions with it?

Quoting question because I too am curious.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    When is the "last" day for registering/free stamps? May 31?

Yep.

But if you're thinking of waiting till the last minute... I'd do it no later than 5-20. That last weekend is a holiday and I'll bet the servers at the ATF will be so hammered by everyone who waited that it could well be impossible to use the Eform. If you're planning on mailing a paper Form 1, you want to make sure it's there before the 31st. There will be no mail delivery on the 29th as it's a holiday. I would say the last day to do paper forms would be the 22nd.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

Just like they do if you buy a suppressor... or they've taken pictures of 4473s.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

So much failure here. The tax isn't deferred. It's not being collected. Stop. Period. End of story. The eForm 1 uses the term FREE. If you decide to sell ANY SBR the transfer is taxed. $200, just like always.

The ATF is allowing you to register as a trust. You just need proof that the item was in the trust before 1/31/2023. Like always, if you register as an individual and later want to transfer the item into a trust you file a Form 4 and pay the $200.

You really need to brush up on NFA law before commenting. You're making a fool out of yourself.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

There would be no drawback. In fact, unlike a standard SBR, you don't need to engrave, and you're allowed to keep the brace/stock on it till approval at which point you can switch to a standard stock if you wish.

If you wanted to sell it as an SBR you would have to file a Form 4 and pay the $200.

Or like any other SBR, you can take it out of the SBR configuration, by removing the short upper/barrel and selling the lower as normal, replacing the short upper/barrel and selling as normal.

If you do this it's common courtesy to inform the ATF and have it removed from the registry so that someone down the line doesn't have a problem building a SBR on the receiver.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    There would be no drawback. In fact, unlike a standard SBR, you don't need to engrave, and you're allowed to keep the brace/stock on it till approval at which point you can switch to a standard stock if you wish.

If you wanted to sell it as an SBR you would have to file a Form 4 and pay the $200.

Or like any other SBR, you can take it out of the SBR configuration, by removing the short upper/barrel and selling the lower as normal, replacing the short upper/barrel and selling as normal.

If you do this it's common courtesy to inform the ATF and have it removed from the registry so that someone down the line doesn't have a problem building a SBR on the receiver.
    Much appreciated for this info! I have some firearms that I would do this for but are kind of collectible. I assumed they would have to be engraved. If they don't need to be engraved, that does help with the decision

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Much appreciated for this info! I have some firearms that I would do this for but are kind of collectible. I assumed they would have to be engraved. If they don't need to be engraved, that does help with the decision
    You know the free tax stamp only applies to braced pistols, right?

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US

There are 2 drawbacks that no one talks about.

#1 You made a pistol into a rifle. The rifle can not be used in the same manner as a pistol in most states with regard to CHL/LTC license privileges. Technically I can carry my pistol under my coat legally.

#2 You can not cross state lines with an SBR without prior ATF forms and authorizations. This has to be done in advance by several weeks. Not hard but time consuming, and they can be a real PIA if they want too. I was rejected twice for address issues that they felt were inconsistent on my destination. It took me >2 months to get my approvals done.

You need to know if those items apply to your use senerios.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    There are 2 drawbacks that no one talks about.

#1 You made a pistol into a rifle. The rifle can not be used in the same manner as a pistol in most states with regard to CHL/LTC license privileges. Technically I can carry my pistol under my coat legally.

#2 You can not cross state lines with an SBR without prior ATF forms and authorizations. This has to be done in advance by several weeks. Not hard but time consuming, and they can be a real PIA if they want too. I was rejected twice for address issues that they felt were inconsistent on my destination. It took me >2 months to get my approvals done.

You need to know if those items apply to your use senerios.

1. Valid point, but how many people actually carry a large format pistol concealed?

2. You can take the firearm out of SBR configuration and freely move it across state lines.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

God, just read the FAQ. https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/final-rule-2021r-08f

There is no engraving required if you qualify for the free registration.

Top Bottom