• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    For everyone that is absolutely sure your double stack semi is the way to go( and if you have ample warning that you are about to get chomped on, it might just be the way to go) you should maybe test out how a contact shot in something that simulates a long coat of fur affects the action on your gun. Something the first couple of inches of your barrel and slide will be buried in when you make that shot.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Feb 19, 2015
    For everyone that is absolutely sure your double stack semi is the way to go( and if you have ample warning that you are about to get chomped on, it might just be the way to go) you should maybe test out how a contact shot in something that simulates a long coat of fur affects the action on your gun. Something the first couple of inches of your barrel and slide will be buried in when you make that shot.
    If you are truly in contact with the bear, the bear has in all likelihood already won.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    ^^This^^.

I LOVE my Glock and would carry one of them in bear country over buying a new pistol. HOWEVER, short recoil actions like just about all auto pistols don't work well with contact shots.

Take your favorite pistol to your favorite range (that will let you do this) set up a cardboard target. stand nose to nose, draw to position 2 or 3, pushing the muzzle into the target and pull the trigger.

It just may not go bang... and won't if you push hard enough.

Having a bear giving you a hug and trying to get the barrel pointed towards something sorta vital and getting a shot off is iffy. It is the ONE area a revolver has an advantage over autos IMO.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    May 2, 2015
    You are giving the bear credit for something it doesn't have. It is only doing what it is naturally made to do. You are the one encroaching on its territory. I will fight for my life but harbor no ill will to the bear for doing its natural thing. You knew that going in. Lived in Alaska for 4 years. My father drilled awareness into us the whole time.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I have come to the following conclusion; You either need a Jennings .22 and a not so good hiking buddy. A Bowie knife and a coon skin cap. Or lightning fast reflexes and the ability to outrun a very peeved bear while shooting it with all the pistol and revolver calibers available while simultaneously making noise and using bear spray on it, or them.

Close?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Feb 19, 2015
    Actual, unretouched photos of one of our members just before he pulls the trigger on his revolver:

1627949980312.png

1627950043413.png

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I just read an article a few days ago that was based upon several dozen documented uses of a handgun to protect against brown bears and grizzlies. Sorry, but I don't remember the name of the article or the location.

I want to say there were 37 documented uses of everything from a 9 mm to a 454 casull, with the 44 Magnum being used the most (a dozen or so times).

Overall, the handgun was successful is stopping a bear 97% of the time. Again, going from recollection, the 9mm was used three times and was 100% successful. The 45 ACP was used more times and was successful in all but one instance. The 44 was close to 100%.

I will look for the article again to see if I can post a link. The overall bottom line was that a handgun is far more successful in ending a bear attack than most people would realize.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Bring the 45 with some bear spray and you'll be fine.

The most dangerous critters in Colorado are the ones with 2 legs.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom