• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilowatt3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    I never wanted to find out if my 9mm with SD ammo would stop a hog, but on my lease I might just happen across them. I just picked up a 1911 and am wondering if it in fact might be a good hog gun, and what ammo you guys might suggest?
    I hunt pigs with a .30-30, but pack a .44 Mag as backup (either my Redhawk or Taurus). I really want to hunt pigs with a .44 one of these days, and for that I'll use my 8" Dan Wesson with LeveRevolution ammo. If you choose a revolver, LeveRevolution is available in .357 Mag as well.

I'm sure a clean head shot from a .45ACP FMJ would drop a hog at reasonable distances, but I just like the .44 a whole lot better, particularly if you end up having to take a long and/or angled shot at the body. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    that would blow any size hog to pieces, rip off your hand, make the president of brazil go deaf, and cure aids all at the same time.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    To the OP / no disrespect meant here, but if your going to hunt and kill, you need to do it in a one shot clean kill. And unless your close to being a grand master in pistol skills This will be tough for you to accomplish.

Use a scoped .30 caliber rifle and eat what you kill.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    To the OP / no disrespect meant here, but if your going to hunt and kill, you need to do it in a one shot clean kill. And unless your close to being a grand master in pistol skills This will be tough for you to accomplish.

Use a scoped .30 caliber rifle and eat what you kill.

LOLWTFBBQ?

Grand Master?

I'm not up on the formal shooting sports, but have more experience killing actual animals than most (not paper). Just wait til they stop moving and don't take bad shots.

bufford

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Well, my original post was a bit vague I guess... I was concerned with "happening upon one", not actually seeking one out to kill. When I truly hunt them, I certainly have ample fire power in a large caliber rifle... and in either case, the meat is either eaten by my family or donated to one of several good causes in the area.
    Grand master, no... country boy that's been shooting since I was 5, yep!! ... and I'm an old cuss now, so I can hold my own on hitting what I shoot at.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Javelina, callled in the books a Collared Peccary...Books claim it isn't a hog, but it sure looks like one, roots like one, make up your own minds, if it oinks ?

You're right, it is a very common misconception. Peccaries are new world animals, originally from deep down in South America. Swine, on the other hand, are old world animals, Europe and Asia.

Not sure if javelinas oink, but when they are pissed off, they make this strange noise by clicking their teeth together very rapidly. Its a VERY ominous sound.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    If this happens, you need something big enough to shoot the dog as well.

alBwk.jpg

JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    When I'm out and about in my pastures I carry my Walker 44 cap and ball blackpowder revolver it hold 60 grains with a .454 round ball and will mess up a hog really bad and has alot of knock down power to boot. I carry in a crossdraw holster with its 9 inch barrle and weighs 4 1/2 lbs empty its truly a hog leg lol.

Kilowatt3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    A .44 mag makes a nice big hole but can be stopped by the shield of a larger hog.
    Really???

Just what do you think a hog's shield is made of? It's not Kevlar, nor is it some exotic titanium alloy. It's just a bunch of scar tissue.

Sure, a glancing wide-angle shot with a soft JHP from 200 yards might not penetrate, but at any realistic distance, a clean shot from a .44 Mag with a good bullet will punch through a hog's shield like it wasn't there. It's a non-issue if you take head shots, anyway.

Regards,
    Jim

Top Bottom