• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My first real weekly job was working @ a Shakey's pizza when I was 15. Not bad pizza, but even Pizza Hut was decent back then.

For frozen I like Tombstones. Every bar back home had toaster ovens & sold them. Growing up outside Chicago I like a good pizza. No more frozen pizza for us. If we have to have pizza I like Russo's the best but they are very proud of their work.
    I'd eat a frozen Red Baron before a Dominios! The wife like Reb Baron & I hate it!

I haven't eaten at a Pizza Hut, or Pizza Inn in over thirty years. I do remember them being pretty decent for pizza back then though. Little Caesar's or Fox's is our go to for pizza now. Back years ago, Domino's was decent, they delivered and it was convenient, plus cheap!

Red Baron is alright, but for frozen pizza, I prefer Tombstone.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Only reason I look forward to visiting my wifes family in NJ is for the pizza

Nowhere on earth has better pizza than the northeast. That and Italian women are about all its good for otherwise

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Some of those I don't rank very highly on my pizza meter!

Papa John's.
    Mazzio's.
    Godfather's.
    Sbarro.
    Chuck E Cheese.
    Cici's.
    Gatti's.

Pizza Inn, or Pizza Hut didn't make the list simply because I haven't ate in them in many, many years, so I have no idea if they are worse or better than years ago.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Diabetics (T2) suffer what's known as the "pizza effect". Not only does pizza have a lot of carbs, but they tend to produce high blood sugar well into the next meal, so that meal will spike glucose levels as well.

Having said that, I still enjoy pizza from time to time, but not like I once did. I grew up in a very small town and it had the best pizza in the region. Weird in that it was baked in square pans and sold by the piece. I asked the owner why it was so good and he claimed that it was because he used good quality mozzarella and provolone cheeses. It had a fairly thick crust, but was baked fast so it had a nice crispness to the bottom of the crust. His son took it over, ran it into the ground, and it finally closed after like 50 years. Pizza was a real treat in our house - the equivalent of having birthday cake. We also used to buy some brand - Chef Boyardee? - that came in a box and you mixed up the dough and poured on sauce and sprinkled some kind of herb mix on it.

Generally, I like mine with lots of pepperoni. I can handle other meats on it, and a few veggies (peppers). But pineapple is for communists or some other godless people who would dare to ruin pizza.

Mod Pizza is kinda cool. You can put whatever you want on a personal pizza and they cook it super hot so it's done in like 5 minutes. Solves the problem of sharing pizza with stuff you don't like. There's a pizza place near the house that has a pizza loaded with meats that they call The Good Ol' Boy. Lots of carbs AND you can actually hear your arteries clogging up as you eat it. Good stuff.

Pizza Inn - got thrown out of one of them many years ago. Went there with a friend and it ended up that about 8 people I knew were all there at the same time. We got a table together. One of the girls lied about her age to try to get a beer (ironically, my future ex-wife). They collected the money for the food and then tossed us out. One of the guys came from a VERY rough Irish family. (He may have been the only one without a prison record.) Standing outside the place we'd just been kicked out of, he asked if I wanted to come back next week. "Uh, George, we just got kicked out. Why would I come back?" He says, "My cousin is getting out of prison next week. I thought we'd come down and celebrate with pizza and a few beers. And then knock over every f***ing table in the place on the way out." He was serious. In a rare moment of good sense and sobriety, I declined. I heard a rumor that something very similar happened about a year later and though the place was full, nobody could give a description to the cops.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I love pizza but it sends my blood sugar through the roof so I tend to avoid it unless family insists on getting some. Then I eat too much.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Pizza In did not even use real cheese! I went once to the noon buffet. A table of 6 fat women would strip off every piece of pizza as it came out, then just eat the toppings. We drank a lot of beers until they left. When we finally got pizza we ate the topping & started a crust fight.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    One of the girls lied about her age to try to get a beer (ironically, my future ex-wife).
    That reminded me that the only pizza place (that I know of) in San Antonio in the late 60s was Shakeys. Shakeys had two sides, under 21 and over21 where they served beer. To sit in the grown up section you had to have an adult over 21.

My little brother (12 yrs my junior) was a member of the birthday club and got some kind of coupon for reduce price pizza. A friend and I decided to take him for his pizza (We were still in HS) pretended to be my brothers dad. Anyway we went in the adult side, ordered pizza and beer. Not exciting but memorable. It wasn't the last time I used him to buy beer.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The Shakey's I worked @ closed after it was rumored that they used dog food on the pizza. The reality of it was the owner was late in taken out the trash from home so brought it to work. When the garbage man came the bag fell off the top of the dumpster. Business just kept dropping off until he pulled the plug.

I freaked out seeing the one in Clear Lake after moving to Houston in 1982. It was 8 year after I the one back home closed.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    There aren't too many pizza places in my area. Fortunately, the Pizza Hut does a good job on thin crust (aka "cracker crust") pizza here. My usual favorite is ham, pineapple, and red onion.....followed closely by pepperoni and banana peppers.

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I absolutely love pizza and could eat it 24/7...not keto friendly though so I’ve had it twice in the last 4 months...it’s been tough!

Two places in Fort Worth have the best, nizza pizza on university and prima pasta and pizza on Hulen....both are fantastic thin crust, Italian style pizzas.

I was one of Prima’s first customers as a kid from the neighborhood after they opened, owners still recognize me some 30 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    We used to enjoy Mr. Gatti's and Domino's pizza, but I think they changed over the years, and not for the better. Seems like no matter what you order, even with a coupon, the pizza costs $17, LOL.

Much better than either of those is Papa Murphy's take and bake. A couple times a month the wife will bring home one of their tasty pizzas. 14 minutes in the oven and whoop, there it is. Hot and fresh. And only costs $12-$13. $11 on Tuesdays.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Some of those I don't rank very highly on my pizza meter!

Papa John's.
    Mazzio's.
    Godfather's.
    Sbarro.
    Chuck E Cheese.
    Cici's.
    Gatti's.

Pizza Inn, or Pizza Hut didn't make the list simply because I haven't ate in them in many, many years, so I have no idea if they are worse or better than years ago.
    Papa John's has really gone downhill. Domino's is not bad for chain delivery.

Mazzio's, Chuck, Cici's never claimed to be good. And rightly so.

Gatti's was not bad when they first started (back in the 80's?). But they went downhill a long time ago.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I haven't found a pizza place around here I really like. Mod Pizza is not bad for being able to pick a wide variety of toppings.

I'm glad I don't live in New York (for several reasons) because I'd be destroying some really good thin crust pizza on the regular.

Other pizzas aren't generally worth it for me.

Edit: Oh, Marco's pizza chain is OK. I like their crust.

Last edited:

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    The best pizza I had was in Chicago, eating their deep dish meat pizza!
    Malnati's pizza place was the best tasting. Giordano's was a close second. And 3rd, Bartoli's in that order.

Back home we had La Pizza House, they had excellent thin crust pizza.

The pizza chains I like are:

Godfather's
    Papa John's
    Pizza Hut
    Domino's

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I can’t believe we’re 38 post into a pizza thread and no pics of pizza! We order from Domino’s & a coupe of local joints but we’ve become pretty good at marking our own pizza. This one was cooked in the Yoder pellet grill with hickory, cherry, & maple pellets. Really, just about as good as I’ve ever had.

IMG_6103.JPG
    IMG_6285.JPG

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I'm with Vaquero right now on the "too much carbs" BUT when I do eat Pizza, Papa Murphy's take & bake is my overall favorite, but Pizzaiolo's here in town gives them a run for the money taste & quality wise. I'd say they're my 2nd fav now. I'll do Dominoes or Pizza Hut or Little Caesar's in a pinch, but they're 2nd tier pizza's to me. 3rd tier would be stuff like the higher end frozen stuff - (DiGorno, etc) and bottom tier would be stuff like Totino's or the other $2-3 pizzas - you could spread spaghetti sauce on cardboard and have equal quality pizza.

Top Bottom